Contributor
OlsonGarth

Cisco RNG100 - IR Port on Back - Connect directly to an MCE IR Receiver/Emitter

[ Edited ]

The RNG100 has a connector labeled IR on the back. Is it functional and what does it support?  Are there any specs for it?  (nothing useful in the user guides).

Can this be used to make a direct cable connection from an MCE compatible IR Receiver/Emitter, rather than sticking an IR emitter on the front?

Background:

I currently have 3 analog TV sets, and an HTPC running Windows 7.  I record TV shows on the HTPC using MCE. Everything currently works fine. 

The upcoming Comcast switch to digital will break my HTPC unless I add an IR blaster (one on order), and do some major configuration changes.

I received my box of conversion 'stuff' from Comcast (1-CIsco RNG100 kit, 2-PACE DTA kits), and I am now trying to work out the best way to reconfigure things.

Appreciate all input, and I will try to provide useful feedback on things that work.

Regards

Garth

Recognized Contributor
dummycvg

Re: Cisco RNG100 - IR Port on Back - Connect directly to an MCE IR Receiver/Emitter

[ Edited ]
How to use your Comcast remote control with an IR Extender/Receiver

An IR Extender or IR Receiver (included with your digital adapter equipment) lets you place your cable box or digital adapter (DTA) out of sight, but still use your remote control to change channels on the cable box.  Simply connect the IR Extender to the IR In input on the back of the cable box and position the receiving end of the IR Extender in plain sight of the remote. 

An important note about IR Extenders:  With some cable boxes, connecting the IR Extender disables the RF input on the front of the actual cable box.  So, if you are not using the IR Extender, be sure to disconnect it from the cable box. 

Click here
Contributor
OlsonGarth

Re: Cisco RNG100 - IR Port on Back - Connect directly to an MCE IR Receiver/Emitter

Thanks for the info!

Garth