New Visitor
Charmaine2011

Cisco RNG150 set top box - Help

I received my new Sony Bravia KDL40HX800 last week and also received a Cisco RNG150 set top box from Comcast. I am new to HDTV. It took awhile for my box to be activated. When it finally activated, the channels were showing but they were not good quality. For example, on Oprah's new network, OWN, the name OWN was blurry. The channels were poor quality - blurry, pixelated. I have a coaxial cable connected to the set top box and an HDMI cable connected from the box to my Sony TV. ALL of the channels are showing in 480i. My new TV is supposed to deliver picture in Full HD 1080p. This is a widescreen TV which should show in 16:9 resolution, but is only showing in 4:3. Why is that? Also, I am not receiving ANY HD channels, only standard channels. When I turn to a HD channel, it has something about the channel not being authorized and to call a number that is pictured on the screen. I ordered the HD kit so that I could receive HD channels. I called to get this set top box activated and when I did, only standard channels were available? Why am I not receiving the HD channels?????

In my HD kit, I received the CiscoRNG 150 set top box. Here it is: http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/1/1/Customers/Customer_Support/Digital_Cable_with_OD/Digital_Cab...

The Easy Setup Guide that came with my HD kit has a section in it called - Configuring Your High Definition Picture Settings. It states "If your digital cable box is a high-definition (HD) cable box, it can accommodate various types of HDTV screens and HD picture output formats. Follow these steps to configure your HD cable box to match the settings on your HDTV:

- Confirm that the digital cable box and HDTV are connected and turned on.

***I did this***

- Turn OFF the digital cable box (not the TV) and then immediately press MENU on the digital cable box. An on-screen picture settings list will appear on your TV.

***I DID turn off the box and NOT the TV. There is no MENU button on the set top box as you can see in the picture of this set top box in the above link. So, I pressed MENU on the Comcast remote that came with the HD kit I received. Nothing happened. So how do I get to the on-screen picture settings list on this Cisco RNG150 set top box???***

- Use the cursor keys on the digital cable box or the remote to scroll through and select your options.

- Configure the following settings to your HDTV:

TV TYPE

(Set Format of TV Picture Feed for Either Widescreen or Standard-Screen TVs)

- Options:

16:9 - Widescreen TVs

4:3 LETTERBOX - For standard-screen TVs, use this setting if you prefer to have a black bar at the top and bottom of widescreen programs

4:3 PANSCAN - For standard-screen TVs, use this setting if you prefer to have widescreen programs adjusted to fit the full screen

***I can't get to these settings, so I can't choose 16:9 for widescreen TVs.***

YPbPr/HDMI Output

(Identifiy Video Format to Use for HD Programs - This Should Match Your HDTV Format)

- Options:

* 1080i high definition (1920 x 1080 pixels)

* 720p high definition (1280 x 720 pixels)

* 480p enhanced definition (720 x 480 pixels)

* 480i standard definition (720 x 480 pixels)

***I can't get to these settings, so I can't choose 1080i high definition for (1920 x 1080 pixels). I am also not receiving any HD channels.***

4:3 Override

(Identifiy Video Format to Use for Standard Definition Programs)

- Options:

* 480i standard definition (720 x 480 pixels)

* 480p enhanced definition (720 x 480 pixels)

* Stretch - Adjusts programs to widescreen format

* Off - Adds black bars to either side of standard picture programs to fill widescreen TV display

***All channels I'm receiving are showing in 480i standard definition.***

On my Sony TV, I don't know how to choose the 16:9 resolution. I have the HDMI 1 selected. Please help!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Cisco RNG150 set top box - Help

[ Edited ]

Call Comcast support and make sure you are paying for HD service and the HD code is on your account to enable HD on the box.  If the HD is coded properly on your account, then the CSR should send the signals to the box again to enable the HD channels.

Beside having a HD box, you also need the HD on your account, which is extra monthly fee.

If they can't get the box provisioned properly, they might offer to send out a tech.

New Visitor
Charmaine2011

Thanks Jay! You have been very helpful!

New Visitor
justtrustme81

I have the same problem. I chated live with analyist and he told me to take box back to office for a new one. This was also keeping me from choosing different methods of 3d content on my tv leaving either side by side picture or over/under picture. A little frustrating.

New Visitor
Tswig

Instead of pressing "Menu" on the remote, hit "Guide" on the remote when the box is off. Make sure your tv is on, and a screen will come up that will allow you to change the box settings. Switch the output from 480i to "pass through," and you should be all set. Pressing "Guide" to get a menu is counter-intuitive I know, but there it is. Good luck.
Regular Contributor

For the Cisco RNG150 set top box :

Besides the setup on the Guide button of the remote, you can also get another setup page by turning off the set-top with your TV power still on and then pushing the Zoom button on the remote.

The Zoom button setup screen allows a quick selection of the 1080i or 720 scanning rates used by your TV but does not offer the pass-through setting that is available using the Guide button of the remote.

If you use the Guide button settings menu, then scroll down to the HDMI setting and use the left or right button to find the setting you want to use. [No need to change the Closed Caption setting because it is available on the Remote by hitting the Menu button twice and selecting Setup.]

These HD settings force the set top box to send the selected scanning signal rate to your TV. Your TV should also have an Info button on the TV remote that allows you to see what scan rate setting the TV is displaying.  After you get it set up the way you want, the set top setting should be the same as what the TV info setting tells you.

If you still cannot get the picture quality or size that you want, then ask Comcast technical support for help or get your set-top box and your TV checked by a technician.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Since this thread is from 2011 and nothing has been posted, it is now locked.