Regular Contributor

Closed captioning problems

A couple of months ago we were forced by Comcast to "upgrade" our TV connection to use a "digital set top box" on our main TV (a Sony Bravia 46", if matters). Things work fairly well with one MAJOR exception: the closed captioning feature does not work.  For me, this is a big problem. I am very hard of hearing and, over the last several years, had become totally dependent on the closed captions.

The remote control that came with the set-top box does not even have a "CC" button on it. When I contacted the local Comcast office I was told that this feature was not available. ???!!!???

Doing some experimenting around with the set-top box's setup screens, I found where I could in fact get it to display some closed captions. But the visual quality of the caption was so poor that it was difficult to read. In any case, after turning the TV off and back on, the captions disappeared. I gave up.

A couple of weeks later, the set-top box had some kind of "convulsion" in which the whole operation of the device became "flakey" for a few minutes. It seemed to recover on its own and, viola - the closed captions magically started working again! But, after about an hour, they once again disappeared - and haven't been seen since.

So, I come here asking: Can anyone tell me how I can get closed captioning to work? Like it used to on my old analog TVs? And like it used to on the digital TV before the arrival of the set-top box?

Help ?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Closed captioning problems

See this.  To access user settings on the Motorola box turn off the box and hit the "Menu" button on the remote.  Then turn CC on.  Unfortunately, there is no way to switch between on and off without going through this process.

Regular Contributor

Thanks WarEagle57.

As noted in my original post, that's the procedure I went through already to turn the captions on. But, the visual quality of the displayed captions is so poor that they are difficult to read. Also, as I mentioned, they mysteriously quit working after a short period of time. And, as you pointed out, it is difficult (to say the least) to switch them on and off (to allow something underneath to be viewed, for example).

What I was hoping was that there might be some way to utilize the captions like I've been doing for the last 5 or 10 years.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

There used to be an option to change the CC display characteristics, but with my version (A25) that option is now greyed out and inoperative.

Regular Contributor

Well, I just gotta say: Thanks a lot, Comcast!   :smileysad:

You have managed to make it so that I don't get much enjoyment watching TV any more.

Regular Contributor

After dealing with this issue back in July I pretty much gave up trying to use the closed captions. Since the lack of captions affects my use of the tv so much I'm trying once again to make the best of it that I can.

However, now I can't even get the closed captions to appear. Here's what happens:
I turn off the set-top box.
I press "menu" on the remote.
A "menu" appears - at least I guess it's a menu. It's a blue box with a white bar across it that can be scrolled up and down. However, there is no wording of any kind displayed. That is to say, there is no "menu". There is nothing to select.

I've tried scrolling to the various positions and pressing the "OK" button but nothing happens. I mean "nothing" - there is no reaction. When I press "cable" and "power", the blue box / white line thing  disappears.

FWIW, a month or so ago, the set-top box had one of its "convulsions" that it periodically goes through and the captions magically started working - all by themselves - I didn't do a thing to turn them on. They continued to work throughout the evening but then the next day, they permanently disappeared again.

Any thoughts as to what I can do?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

[ Edited ]

Try unplugging the box for a few seconds, then plugging it back in.  Your program listings will need to be refreshed over time after that, but it's been known to clear up some problems.

Regular Contributor

Thanks WarEagle57 - that did it. The menu was restored and I was able to select and activate the captions.

Now, it remains to be seen how long they will be available (I've never had them last more than a few hours)

New Visitor
okaymo

Closed captioning problems

TV shows in the original have their captions, but on playback in On Demand there are no captions.  This is not all shows, which leads me to believe the box is set for the captions.  Example show would be Rizzoli and Isles or Prime Suspect (captions not working in On Demand, but were there in the original broadcast) where NCIS and CSI work in both mediums.  Any help with this would be appreciated. 

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

I've noticed that you can't turn the captions on when you're in On Demand.  I have to turn the captions on before selecting On Demand and then they will continue throughout the show. 

New Visitor
okaymo

Unsure which captions you are referring to that need to be turned on before starting On Demand, but the TV captions and the cable box options are always turned on (deaf individual in household).  Is there someplace else we need to make sure they are turned on, also?  Thanks for the help.

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

No place else.  I always turn them on through the cable box.  I have noticed that not all programming available through On Demand has closed captioning.