Visitor

Comcast Cisco RNG 150 HD set top box HDMI issues

I have a new VizioVA19LHDTV (19" 720p) and Comcast has provided me a new Cisco-made STB with HDTV and HDMI output (no DVR) designated as RNG-150. It reports the infamous messages, "Copy Protection - The DVI/HDMI output is blocked - Press Exit to Cancel" and then (after pressing exit) "DVI Alert - Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please use the YPrPb component connection to watch TV." I duplicated the problem with a different HDTV (of course HDCP compliant) which works perfectly when connected to the

This is bogus. Needless to say the HDTV is HDMI compatible. When I connect the Vizio TV to the 8300 HD (DVR box) via the same HDMI cable, there are no issues (in any case I have swapped out both cable and box with no change in the problem status). Likewise, when I connect the TV that is normally on the 8300 HD (a Westinghouse 42") with this RNG-150, I have the same problem.

There may be some kind of internal user setting menu for the RNG-150 that is required to enable HDMI. But no manual for the RNG-150 is provided with the box and the local Comcast dispensary (Woodcrest in Cherry Hill, NJ for me) does not have the manual. It is on the web, kind of: On this page, http://www.comcast.com/corporate/customers/customer_support/digitalsettopbox.html the last item is the STB in question and there is a link for the User Manual. Unfortunately, the link target, which is 12246-Cisco%20RNG%20150%20User%20Guide.pdf, leads to a corrupt .pdf which cannot be read or loaded by Adobe Reader or Acrobat.

A tech was here and had no clue how to configure the RNG-150 to enable HDMI (if such enablement is required.) He noted that on the STB on-screen menu for the 8300HD under the category Audio:smileylaugh:igital Output category there are three selections: Dolby, HDMI, and other. But the same menu for the RNG-150 has only Dolby and other. He had not encountered this issue before but said that there was little field experience with this box. His only suggestion was to downgrade the box to the SA 4350 (I think) which evidently is still around.

The CSR's on the phone have nothing to offer except to call a tech, which I did. A very nice lady at the Woodcrest facility told me that they have had lots of problems with these recently-introduced STB's.

By turning on and  off the TV and STB, switching cables, etc., I can get the STB and the HDTV to tlak. to each other. But then when I turn off either or both for  period of time and turn back on, I get one or the other of the above messages, or a "No signal" from my TV, and I am back where I started.

I can replace the HDMI with composite and have no problems. But I am **bleep** and compulsive and I want this to work with HDMI like it's supposed to. I don't want to use the composite connection and I shouldn't have to. And the problem I described occurs when the only input to the TV is the HDMI cable from the STB. Yes, I know how HDCP is supposed to work and no, nothing else is plugged in at the same time.

Can anybody provide any help with this issue? I cannot be the only person who has experienced this problem since my setup is totally vanilla and the equipment is all new. 

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Comcast Cisco RNG 150 HD set top box HDMI issues

HDMI is enabled, it just doesn't seem to be performing the required handshake very well.  I suggest you try component (not composite) instead.  You shouldn't notice any difference with a 19" display.
Visitor

Actually component is what I should have said above, not composite. So your answer is, in effect, HDMI doesn't work well with this setup. OK, component is a work-around. But I don't like big cables where the TV is (in the kitchen) and I would like to get this working with HDMI. So I will still hope there is a solution to this, vs. a work-around.
New Visitor

I have this box also and am having trouble with vod, no menu. I would like to reconfigure the box, but have no manual and your link doesn't work. Anyone know where I can get a manual?
Regular Problem Solver

lestino wrote:
I have this box also and am having trouble with vod, no menu. I would like to reconfigure the box, but have no manual and your link doesn't work. Anyone know where I can get a manual?

User manual.

Quick Start Guide.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

omcleod wrote:

User manual.

File is corrupt. 

New Visitor

I am having the exact same problem as Tedlevy...Has anyone had resolution to this issue.  I do not have the space to your the RGB cables..my tv is also an under cabinet.  HELP
New Visitor
dcczllroberts

Was this ever resolved?  I have a Vizio 42" and a new Cisco RNG 150 that Comast just gave me.  After a week's worth of grief, I figured out last night that the problem is the HDMI port on the TV...every port.  Works ok with regular composite cables, but I want less cables and better connection with HDMI. 

My issue is that when I hit the ALL On button on the remote, the box goes through it's re-boot sequence and takes about 10 minutes for everything to come up.  Any help would be appreciated.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Using the remote to turn off the box shouldn't cause the box to lose power, unless you have it plugged into something else that the "All On" button is turning off.
New Visitor

They gave me an old HDTV Box, with HDMI Connection.  I connected it all and it worked!

New Visitor
p2pmdc

I have this issue with the Scientific Atlanta 4250HDC, but it appears to be sporadic and I cannot replicate it on command. While watching live TV a box pops up that says "Copy Protection, DVI/HDMI output blocked...". This blocks the video output but the box still sends the digital audio signal. Reseting the box (unplugging the power not just powering off) seems to resolve the issue for a couple weeks then it pops up again. When I press cancel the screen goes black and I can still access the guide but not tune to any channel and see video, but after several minutes video reappears. At no point does audio stop, however. Calling support they had no solution other than to try to swap out the box.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Try and swap the box for something newer like a RNG150. 

You are running the HDMI direct without a HDMI switcher or AV receiver, right?

Worst case, you might need to see if there is newer firmware for your TV you can download and install from the TV Mfr.

Contributor
Miss_Molly

Hi Tedlevy, i dont know if you have found the solution to this problem yet, but i have a question about the out put settings in the RNG...

i've worked directly with RNG-110, i havent seen RNG-150 yet in my market, but i know the RNG-110 model has an out put setting where if you are using HDMI, you will need to adjust, depending on they type of TV. does your box have a user settings menu?

Regular Contributor