New Visitor
schmiddybeau

Comcast Compatible Customer Owned Equipment

How do I find out what customer owned equipment I can use with COMCAST?  I want to buy my own CableCard ready tuner and not lease something from COMCAST.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Re: Comcast Compatible Customer Owned Equipment

Tivo is the simplest cablecard solution. It is supported by Comcast.

There are also PC based units that use a cablecard.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

You still need to lease the cable cards from comcast, there is no way around leasing something from comcast.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

schmiddybeau wrote:

How do I find out what customer owned equipment I can use with COMCAST?  I want to buy my own CableCard ready tuner and not lease something from COMCAST.

Some examples include:

Panasonic DVR, TiVo Series 3 and Series 4, TiVo HD, Sony DVR, Moxi DVR, ATI (All in Wonder HD, ATI TV Wonder™ Digital Cable Tuner). As others have already posted,  you would still need to lease a CableCard from Comcast to get your service authorized.  

New Visitor
schmiddybeau

This is exactly what I was looking for.  I don't want TIVO.  Is there a link to a list somewhere?  I've call tech support multiple times and never get anywhere.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

[ Edited ]

I am surprised you say you do not want a Tivo, as that's the only really useable one on the list.

The Panasonic is for CCTV. The Sony will be useless after April, no more guide data.

Moxi is gone, and the ATI is for watching on your PC.

Not a very good list.

New Visitor
schmiddybeau

Thanks.  The reason I don't want TIVO is that I am trying to get away from the monthly service fee for the equipment attached to each TV.  I have 4 TVs and this cost adds up.  Do I have any alternatives besides TIVO that would work?  I'll still be subscribing to Comcast Internet and TV Service I just don't want to pay monthly fees for the equipment.  Help???

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

[ Edited ]

I paid for the Lifetime service on my Tivos, so I pay no monthly fee to Tivo. My first cablecard is free, the second one is $7.95/mo. 

Other than PC card tuners for you computer, there are no other options.

My Tivo is GREAT, and all my service problems disappeared when I no longer used Comcasts equipment.

I also get 'On Demand" in my area.

Try asking Comcast for brand new, unused equipment. They just cannot provide it.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Try doing a google 'QAM tuners'

Contributor
GWatson77459

I have been thinking along the same lines and did some looking into Home Theatre P.C. (HTPC).  This will replace the comcast set top box but they look like they are pricey unless you have lots of spare PC equipment laying around.  THey claim you can build one for $500 but then you need the 4 tuner cable card for another $200 so the minimum price is $700 to save the rent on the Comcast DVR.  From there the sky is the limit with fancy cases and Blu-Ray player/burners.

I priced a good HTPC for around $2000 with the Intel I3 chip.  I also saw a super unit for $5000 with 30 Tb of HDD storage that said you could save over 3000 Blu-Ray movies to watch.

The payback for owning your own equipment may be a long time coming.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

The payback on owning a Tivo is only a couple of years. My older Tivo HD has long since paid for itself, and my XL4 will cross the line soon. Plus the technology is far ahead of what Comcast can offer.

Recognized Contributor
jac509

I am using an old laptop as an HTPC with windows media center and an xbox I already had as an extender. I also use the Silicondust Homerun Prime HD. It is a network based cablecard tuner. It has three tuners. Its an easy setup and the only thing I had to buy was the Homerun Prime itself, since I already had everything else. Ceton also has a similar tuner. Also if you don't have any comcast equipment you get a small discount ($2.50 per month for me).

It takes a little time to set it up but its pretty awesome having my own DVR with pretty much unlimited storage for no montly fee. If I were to get a DVR with comcast, I would spend the same amount of money in less than one year.