New Visitor
Danno999

Comcast Phone Support - Sun Outage Causes Intermittent Interruption??

I am an xfinity customer in CT.  I have an HD DVR box (explorer 8300HD)

In the last few weeks I have been experiencing intermittent image freeze/pixelization (3-5 seconds duration,  approximately every 5-15 minutes).   Very annoying.

The start of these problems seems to coincide with the recent Digital conversion cutover.

At approximately the same time, I have noticed that the DVR sluggishly responds to the remote.

During this time I have also have multiple events where I had to power off the DVR in order to correct problems (no sound on any channel, confusion as to whether the was a program being recorded, loss of almost all recorded content).

I called the service line this afternoon (approximately 4:00 PM).   There was a message which stated that intermittent problems could be caused by Sun Outages due to the relative position of the sun and the satellites, and that  there was no need to report these to a service representative. This seemed to me unlikely explanation for brief, intermittent problems and more likely a self-serving way to suppress call volume for a known technical problem (Note: as of this writing the message has been removed). 

Discussed my problem with the help line.  Bottom line, I will be taking my DVR box to a service center for a later model.  (Next weekend when I can fit it into my schedule).

During this discussion he told me that there was a forum to lodge complaints and that it was accessible at www.comcast.net.  He could not tell me where it was, he provided another link (which also did not work), promised to send me an email with the link (not received as of this writing) and that he would have his supervisor call me shortly (no call yet).   (I have since located this site, but this wasn't easy either).

I am left feeling that Comcast has made changes which have degraded my service, probably were disingenuous in their posted excuses, and have been unresponsive on a fairly basic level.  I am prepared to be convinced, but this is not a good start.

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: Comcast Phone Support - Sun Outage Causes Intermittent Interruption??

Danno999 wrote:

I am an xfinity customer in CT.  I have an HD DVR box (explorer 8300HD)

In the last few weeks I have been experiencing intermittent image freeze/pixelization (3-5 seconds duration,  approximately every 5-15 minutes).   Very annoying.

The start of these problems seems to coincide with the recent Digital conversion cutover.

At approximately the same time, I have noticed that the DVR sluggishly responds to the remote.

During this time I have also have multiple events where I had to power off the DVR in order to correct problems (no sound on any channel, confusion as to whether the was a program being recorded, loss of almost all recorded content).

I called the service line this afternoon (approximately 4:00 PM).   There was a message which stated that intermittent problems could be caused by Sun Outages due to the relative position of the sun and the satellites, and that  there was no need to report these to a service representative. This seemed to me unlikely explanation for brief, intermittent problems and more likely a self-serving way to suppress call volume for a known technical problem (Note: as of this writing the message has been removed). 

Discussed my problem with the help line.  Bottom line, I will be taking my DVR box to a service center for a later model.  (Next weekend when I can fit it into my schedule).

During this discussion he told me that there was a forum to lodge complaints and that it was accessible at www.comcast.net.  He could not tell me where it was, he provided another link (which also did not work), promised to send me an email with the link (not received as of this writing) and that he would have his supervisor call me shortly (no call yet).   (I have since located this site, but this wasn't easy either).

I am left feeling that Comcast has made changes which have degraded my service, probably were disingenuous in their posted excuses, and have been unresponsive on a fairly basic level.  I am prepared to be convinced, but this is not a good start.

Being a long time customer what they are telling you about sun outage is true. For some areas it maybe worse than others. It usually last a couple of days.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Cable TV Providers Remind Everyone About Yearly Sun Outages 

This is not provider specific. It happens to all providers so calling up ranting you are switching to the competitor because of Sun Outages is probably not a good idea.

Defined as:
A sun outage, sun transit or sun fade is an interruption in or distortion of geostationary satellite signals caused by interference from solar radiation. The effect is due to the sun's radiation overwhelming the satellite signal. Generally, sun outages occur in February, March, September and October, that is, around the time of the equinoxes. At these times, the apparent path of the sun across the sky takes it directly behind the line of sight between an earth station and a satellite. As the sun radiates strongly at the microwave frequencies used to communicate with satellites (C-band, Ka band and Ku band) the sun swamps the signal from the satellite. The effects of a sun outage can include partial degradation, that is, an increase in the error rate, or total destruction of the signal.

From here: http://www.ispgeeks.com/wild/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=23201

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
Danno999

I've lived in the same house, with comcast, for over 10 years.   This has never been a problem before.  If the sun outage explanation is true, wouldn't all customers in a region be identically affected.?

New Visitor
Danno999

3/19  Problems continue..

- replaced dvr box and remote last weekend

- still cannot watch most HD shows due to pixelization and image drop out

- DVR cannot record.  It trys but content freezes/pixeliates and the dvr seems to have a lot of trouble dealing with the poor video image (signal quality?). 

- Called support last weekend (3/12) - have an appointment for 3/26 (earliest weekend comcast was available) 

End result is that our recorded programs are very poor.

- today we tried On Demand, that does not work either

- I have called service again (4th time's the charm)

-  they 'sent a signal to the box' although that was about 15 minutes ago, no results seen yet

I expect that COMCAST will refund me for the HD and DVR services that I have bought from them for February and March (2011)  which are currently unusable.

(ps never did get that call from the Support Supervisor!)