Contributor

Confused. Xfinity vs Comcast cable tv

I'm confused by what the difference is between xfinity tv and Comcast cable tv. I have Comcast cable tv and Internet and would like to watch tv programs that I get on my tv but missed, on my computer so I can catch up with what I missed. But, if I try to access a program on Comcast .com I'm telling me to sign up for Xfinity tv for another $30/mo!!!! I'm already giving them $115/mo for tv/internet. Surely I don't have to pay again for shows I already get on my tv. Or do I? Obviously, I won't pay twice for the same thing. I'll go to Hulu or Netflix if I can't get it from the provider I'm already paying a small fortune to.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Paula
Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Confused. Xfinity vs Comcast cable tv

xfinity is just a name change for comast nothing more.  You can only watch on demand type shows on your pc not live tv.  If you login to your account at comcast.com you can watch those type of shows on your pc, basically on demand things or premium channels you pay for.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The Xfinity was just a name change for Comcast cable, there is nothing different on the service plans or packages.

The push of additional features like caller ID on pc & TV, web based DVR scheduling & channel change, web based watching of TV shows, Smartphone features and similar are part of the new branding of Xfinity.

There certainly is no change in pricing for anyone if your area has been rebranded to Xfinity yet.

Any price changes would need to be looked into for your specific account and plan, but has nothing to do with the Xfinity name change.

Contributor

Thank you for answering.  I know I can't watch "live" on my computer but thought I should be able to watch the shows after they'd aired but was told I had to subscribe to do it and it was for a channel I already have on my cable subscription. 

Recognized Contributor
halfband

Normally you log into this using the same account you use for email.  There is no seperate subscription for the "online version" of on demand.

New Visitor
AnitaAdams

"It's just a name change and there is no difference" is the answer I've been given by every person I've asked at Comcast/infinity for the last six months or so. I don't care what they call themselves, of course. But it is confusing and leads to problems for people who think one means a certain level of service and the other is additional services. It is just another example of the poor quality service offered by Comcast/infinity! The individuals who work there are fine. Some of them are excellent! They should, at a minimum, be given the reason this question doesn't have a reasonable answer!
Regular Contributor
Alamo_Bob

The company formerly known as Southwestern Bell bought out the AT&T name, including both land lines and wireless. Today's AT&T is only a reincarnated Baby Bell (look it up). The "new" AT&T invented the "U-Verse" brand. In response, the old-timers at Comcast came up with "Xfinity." Just a brand name, nothing more.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Comcast is the company. Xfinity is the product brand name.

It's no different from Kellogg's Corn Flakes.

Kellogg's, company name.

Corn Flakes, product brand name.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.