Contributor
sporkan
Accepted Solution

Control audio on cable box instead of TV

I have the Motorola DCT3412 DVR, which is hooked up to my TV.  The problem is that the audio on the cable box is set to almost full, so even at the lowest setting above mute on my TV, the audio is still fairly loud.  I need to be able to change the audio level on the DVR down so that I can actually have some control between mute - normal - extra loud.  Anyone know how I can do this?

Regular Problem Solver

Re: Control audio on cable box instead of TV

sporkan wrote:

I have the Motorola DCT3412 DVR, which is hooked up to my TV.  The problem is that the audio on the cable box is set to almost full, so even at the lowest setting above mute on my TV, the audio is still fairly loud.  I need to be able to change the audio level on the DVR down so that I can actually have some control between mute - normal - extra loud.  Anyone know how I can do this?

Most audio issues can be corrected by setting the Optimal Stereo output of the set-top box. Here are the one-time steps:

1. Press the Menu button twice on your silver Comcast remote control.
2. Select Setup
3. Select Audio Setup
4. Under the Optimal Stereo setting, choose "Select to Optimize" and press OK/Select on the remote control

Contributor
sporkan

I've done that.  The problem is that doing this sets the audio on the cable box to approximately 95%.  I want the audio at 10-20%, so that I can have more options in the quiet range on my TV, so I don't wake my neighbors.  I have not found a way to manually set the volume level on the cable box.  Please advise.

Regular Problem Solver

Got it.

Borrowed the below from http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Programming_the_Remote#Volume_Lock

You should be able to unlock the volume on the DVR then set the DVR volume to what you want and then lock it at that volume...

Volume Lock

Volume Lock is a remote control function that forces the volume and mute keys to always send the codes for your audio device (typically the TV or an amplifier.) You can change what device is used for volume, or disable the feature. When disabled, the remote will send the volume code for whatever device is currently selected.

Setting Global Volume Lock

Global Volume Lock will force the volume and mute keys to be controlled by one device.

1. Press and hold the "Setup" key until a device key blinks twice.
  2. Type in the code 993. A device key should blink twice.
  3. Press and release the device key for the device you want the volume locked to.
  4. You will get two blinks if the lock is successful.

Disable Volume Lock for one Device

This will disable Volume lock only when a particular device is selected on the remote.

1. Press and release the device key for the device you want to disable the Volume Lock on.
  2. Press and hold the "Setup" key until a device key blinks twice.
  3. Type in the code 993. A device key should blink twice.
  4. Press and release the Volume Down (Vol -) button.
  5. The device key will blink FOUR times if successful.

Disable Global Volume Lock

This will disable Volume Lock for all devices. The Volume and Mute keys will send the codes for the selected device.

1. Press and hold the "Setup" key until a device key blinks twice.
  2. Type in the code 993. A device key should blink twice.
  3. Press and release the Volume Up (Vol +) button.
  4. A device key will blink FOUR times if successful.
Contributor
sporkan

Well, that allowed me to adjust the volume slider on the DVR, however that leads to another problem...

Whether the slider is at

or

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The volume is the same.  What can I do to fix this issue?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

This will only work with the analog red / white audio outputs not for optical, HDMI/DVI or using the RF channel 3 modulator.

Contributor
sporkan

So, I am then an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis?  As far as getting a decent amount of volume control from my DVR is concerned?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

The outputs are all standard industry standard levels.  It is very rare  that anyone depends on changing the output of the box to compensate for other sound issues with their equipment.

You are welcome to swap out the DVR for another just to eliminate the possibility that the box is overdriving the output.

New Visitor
AoxmxoA

Thanks tedtv! That was awesomely useful for a related problem I had - unable to control my TV volume with the Comcast remote because of a defect in the TV remote signal receiver. 

I used the exact same code [993] on my PACE RNG110 box and I am now able to control TV volume through my setup box!

Visitor

[ Edited ]
Visitor