Visitor
Accepted Solution

Convenience Power Outlet

I would like to have a fan powered by the convenience outlet on the cable box, toggled with the power on/off feature of the cable box.  Currently the outlet is "on" 100% of the time.  Is there a way to change the control so it will toggle off when the cable box if turned off?
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Convenience Power Outlet

I recommend you get one of the USB powered notebook fans.  Although the USB ports aren't active, they are powered.  These fans draw little power.  The boxes aren't really "off" unless the power to them is removed.
Email Expert

Check the setup options for the box to see if there's something like "Switched Outlet". That typically controls whether power to this outlet is cut when the box is turned off. This is usually used when you have a TV plugged into the outlet, and you want it to turn off when you turn off the box (this was very useful before universal remotes with a "Power All" button became common).
Visitor

Thank you for your response.

I plugged in the fan and changed the setting to switched but it didn't power off the fan. 

This is under AC Outlet in the Cable Box Setup Menu so I believe I'm in the right place.  Any other thoughts?

Email Expert

That seems like the right place. Strange that the setup menu would have this option, but it doesn't actually do anything.  What kind of cable box is it?
Visitor

It's Motorola, Model DCH3416.
Silver Problem Solver
andyross

iGuide lists many options that do not work on newer boxes. I think switched outlet and RF bypass only work on the oldest DCT-2000/2200 series. On a DVR, enabling RF bypass causes the record light to turn on whenever the box is turned off.
Visitor

Thanks, Andy.  And you are correct that enabling RF bypass causes the record light to turn on - I had not seen that previously but after adjusting the setup I am now seeing it and wondered why it was happening.  I think I have reached the end of my quest - appreciate all the input from the community.  Thanks.