New Visitor
jjmoose

Copy Protected channel's Issue with DVD Recorder

Until a couple of days ago I was able to copy programs for later viewing on my dvd recorder. When I try and record it says copy protected programming.

I can still record local channel's but none of the others.

This stinks big time.

Why did you implement a copy protection on the majority of channels?

Yes I subscribe to all the channels I am trying to record but am wondering why I should not cancel???

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Copy Protected channel's Issue with DVD Recorder

If your using firewire to your recorder you shouldn't be getting a "never copy" flag on any channels other than some movie premiums and possibly some sports channels.  You shouldn't be seeing it on normal network channels.

if your using any analog output between the STB and recorder, then the copy flag never gets passed between hardware.

Start first by powering down you set top box and then plugging it back in and see if that helps.  There should't have been any recent widespread changes on copy protection.

Bronze Star Contributor
Mongo53e

[ Edited ]

This one, may be a legitimate complaint about the content providers and NOT COMCAST.  I "believe" the content providers set those copy flags, they want to influence you into buying a DVD set next year instead of recording your programing today.

The service rep tried that one on me today, when I was canceling my TV service, she told me the content providers are forcing COMCAST to use STB's, I had a laugh, thats why I need a STB to watch Hulu and Net Flix, huh, and COMCAST is NOT making any money off all those refurbished STB/DVR they rent to replace their customer's equipment they disabled?

How is your DVD recorder connected to the COMCAST STB?  What programming are you recording?  Have you tried an analog connection?

Give us an idea if this is a reasonable fair use rights infringement?  Where you trying to record HBO original programing in HD, PPV Movie or some sort of premium content??  -OR- Was it just regular programming on normal broadcast/standard service cable channels??

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

I think (aside from the analog fix), it requires a newer DVD recorder to recognize that flag (older DVD recorders don't see it)?

Bronze Star Contributor
Mongo53e

From what I understand, even the newest equipment can have problems, there is a standard that a copy flag will turn off the output to any analog outputs SD or HD, just letting it travel via HDMI and then it will work off the HDMI HDCP protocol to allow recording or NOT.

So they've closed the analog loop hole.  I really don't know how much equipment if any it effects yet, as well, if its being applied reasonably or unreasonably to the content.

IMO, if its premuim content, i.e. you pay extra over a standard subscription fee, it is at high risk of theft to be easily converted and illegally distributed over the internet, which  cause "real" harm to the provider.  If its basic content, normal programming on the common channels, even if it is illegally distributed, it does NOT cause "real or significant" harm to the provider.

I.E. I don't have a problem if they make it impossible to record HBO with a media that makes it easy to redistribute it, like DVR's or HTPC without OCUR bios.  I do have a problem if they make it impossible to record conventional programming, like TV series, reruns, old movies; that pushes the balance of fair use rights vs content protection way to far toward the providers side.

Government habits of intervention, Big Lobby Dollars, etc, etc; The laws do NOT reflect what is a reasonable approach.  A fair balance has to be struck between the consumer and provider, granted it will NOT be perfect, with the consumer getting a little bit of a bad deal sometimes and the provider getting a little bit of a bad deal sometimes, and neither gets a really bad deal all the time. You should be able to record and re-watch, including in different formats, the content you pay for through a service.  If the intent of the service is different than standard, it needs to be an agreement between parties.  I.E. For HBO, Showtime, PPV, etc; you agree to give up your right to record the content in order to get the service, or agree that the only way to record it would be with a proprietary device that rules out redistribution.

New Visitor
jjmoose

Am trying to record history channell, discover etc. All are protected. Have no issues with the lower numbers. All local stations.

Called customer service and after explaining many different ways was told that because of the digital rollout the channells were temp. encrypted. She said should i should be able to record normally again after July 8th.

Not holding my breath. If not able to record again I will be canceling.  Never had this issue until last friday June 25th 2010.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You never posted how you have the recorder hooked up to the set top box.  That would help.