Contributor
SKOTD75

DCX3400 bug: does not pause/RWD live TV.

[ Edited ]

Finally got box working yesterday and has already exhibited a bug less than 24 hours later.

Symptom: When watching live TV, I hit pause and status bar shows it is paused, but it is non-responsive. Same if I try and RWD.

Expected result: should be able to pause or RWD live TV.

Workaround: to clear issue need to change channel or turn box off, then back on. side effect to workaround, lose buffer so not really a good work around.

bootcode: 9.55

firmware 22.67 build date Nov 19 2010

software: 78.53 A28p0-4.1005.r-8

Questions:

1. If this issue has been address, how do I force a upgrade to latest firmware and or software.
  2. If this is a know issue what is bug tracking # and when will it be addressed.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: DCX3400 bug: does not pause/RWD live TV.

I have found that DVR problems such as this can be remedied by removing power from the box for a few seconds, then plugging it back in.  You'll lose program listings, but they will be refreshed over a few hours.

Contributor
SKOTD75

Thank you for the response, but would live TV be considered a DVR issue? I do not believe so. I have not had this issue with ONDEMAND Or recorded programs, just LIVE TV. Live TV buffers, but it is my understanding that I am pausing the live stream and the content has NOT actually been recorded to my Hard Drive.

As I stated I have a work around, but this seems to be a bug in the software or Firmware that needs to be addressed. I should not have to unplug my box with less than 24 hours or run time.

Thanks for the response,  I guess what I am really looking for is a release note on my current software and firmware so I see what issues have been addressed with the current build and what are know issues still be worked on.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Everything gets recorded to the disk, and that's the only way activities like pausing can occur.  The signal is first recorded, then read back for display to the TV.  Pausing causes the reading back to be momentarily stopped.  Similarly for rewind and other transport tricks.  No other way it can be done.

Contributor
SKOTD75

ok so the DVR is constantly recording to a live TV buffer. When you hit the pause button on a DVR remote, it freeze-frames the current image, giving the appearance of a paused videotape. When you hit play (un-pause), the recorded program begins playing.

So even though it shows it is paused, the live program is probably not buffer correctly so has nothing to pause or rewind through. I am pretty sure I saw a decent amount of green, which would indicate it is buffer but I will pay closer attention next time.

either way , it still appears to be a bug.

thanks for the follow up.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

as long as you dont change the channel the shows is getting buffered, written to the drive.  Once you change the channel the buffer is erased, so if you just changed the channel and then wanted to rewind you could only rewind to the point of when you tuned to that channel.

Contributor

Even when you haven't JUST CHANGED THE CHANNEL, the box still refuses to pause or rewind much of the time. I just switched my box out for this same problem. I went from a DCX3400, to a DCX3400-M, and THIS BOX HAS THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

These boxes are TERRIBLE. For the insane prices we pay for Comcast, the boxes should not have such bugs. 

Until FIOS is available everywhere, Comcast has no reason to resolve these types of issues, because they are, in effect, a monopoly.

Bronze Star Contributor

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but this just happened to me (can't pause) and was looking for a solution.

If you are watching a show and recording another when the phone rings, unplugging the box isn't really a good solution.

Changing the channel and changing it back worked for me.

Contributor

Changing the channel for a second would be a reasonable workaround for pausing, but that wouldn't resolve the rewind problem, because you'd lose the buffer.
Contributor
skotd

a ok work around for this issue is to hit record, then change the channel and change back. It should then rwd or pause and you have not lost your buffer.. crappy that we have to do this, but when a COMCAST tech comes to your house and states he has the same isssue, what are you to do. I AM VERY UNHAPPY WITH COMCAST FOR THE PAST 3 PLUS MONTH SINCE I DECIDED TO ADD A HD BOX.

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

Better solution for you....

Hit the SWAP button which will swap between the two tuners, and then back again.  You should not lose anything in the buffer, but the PAUSE and REW will now work correctly.

I have had this issue and it is a pain.  Comcast....can you get with Moto and fix this please?

Contributor

Thanks. Will try that and let you know if it works for me.
New Visitor
wer456

Another way to workaround this and not lose the buffer is to go into a recorded show and then exit out again. You can then pause, rewind, etc. back on the show you were watching. Who has a solution for this? I can see this thread is over 18 months old now and I'm shocked there isn't a better solution by now. But then, we are talking Comcast.