Visitor
Accepted Solution

DTA- Interruption message

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

On at least 30+ channels I receive the "We've detected an interruption in your service" message.
I get it on my TBS, All ESPN channels and more. All these channels used to work fine without the DTA.
Does this mean I really do have a problem and I have to call a Comcast Tech to fix it or does it probably mean that those channels are not available to me unless I pay more for Comcast Cable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: DTA- Interruption message

[ Edited ]

Your having marginal signal levels at your TV outlets causing the message.  The reason could be a outside issue, or inside with your cabling, fittings and splitters.  Digital signals are carried at higher frequencies than the old analog channels, and the loss is higher at the higher frequencies.  On the old analog sets, you might have had snowy picture at certan channels, but on digital, it's all or nothing, that's when the message shows up.

If you know how your wiring inside your home is wired, and splitter configurations, you would try and rewire / rearrange the splitters and reduce any outlet hookups that are not being used, to raise the signal levels at the remaining outlets.  Since each home is wired differently, there is not a one fix for all.  It could be your splitters are old and will not pass the higher frequencies on the DTA's, which can now go up to 750 mhz to 860 mhz, where analog channels went up to 550 mhz on many systems.  Splitters and drop amps need to pass 5-1000mhz for modern cable systems, and many homes wired years ago have old splitters not capable of passing these higher frequencies.  I would question and inspect any splitters in the home older than 10 years.  If you have many outlets, a drop amp might need to be added to compensate for the loss thru the splitters and cabling.

If you have any doubt on working on your cabling, then call in Comcast.  If it is a outside issue, Comcast will fix it for free.  Since the inside wiring is owned by the homeowner like your telephone wiring, Comcast possibly will charge a flat rate to get your signals corrected.  In our area it is $28, but pricing varies by market area.

If you want to attempt a do-it-yourself solution, and have questions, please post back for more help.  By the time you start spending for new splitters and possibly a drop amp, it might be cheaper to have Comcast do it, as they will provide all materials, and have the equipment to test your levels at each outlet.

Visitor

Woah, thanks so much man. Now that's the best reply I have ever received. Very informative.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

When you get it fixed, please post back your or the tech's findings to share.  We appreciate finding out what was really wrong.

Visitor

Will do :smileywink:

New Visitor
mkmead2010

Personally I think his answer is wrong.  First off..  Do you have a digital cable box hooked up to your TV or is your cable directly connected to your TV?

Because if its the latter what is happening is Comcast is working to alert you that they are going to be turning off the Analog signal soon in your area and they want you to call them to get a digital cable box so you can watch your shows.

It has nothing to do with signal strength and everything to do with switching from analog cable to digital cable.

Now if your getting messages through your digital cable box then yes, you have signal strength and other issues you should get a tech involved to solve.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

The message the OP was getting was due to signal issues to his DTA causing loss of signal on 30 of his digital channels, the exact message you get on the DTA's is what he posted.

The scrolling message on the analogs right before they are removed is a totally different message.

Why are you trolling thru 2 month old posts? 

New Visitor
mkmead2010

Get off your high horse.  I am not trolling it was on the front page of the forum when I read it.

Also if you read my response you see I ask the basic question of does he have a box or is it direct to TV.

I think if you're going to troubleshoot something you should ask that question first as his description can easily lead towards the transition message.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

The issue was also marked as SOLVED.

Notice the checkmark next to Jay's post? That indicates what it contained led to the solution.

The OP did state in his first post "All these channels used to work fine without the DTA". From that statement one can conclude that he did have a box.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

I have noticed that a lot of new visitors are not aware, or appear not to be aware of, a couple of things.

1. That the checkmark means that thread/problem is solved and that a new thread should be opened to get faster help on a issue.

2. That it is a customer to customer site. I have seen that in some of the respones given to feedback from the volunteer experts. I think a lot of new customrers expect a Comcast employee on the site.

Just my 2 cents on an old thread:smileycool:

New Visitor
cobalt529

I have recently activated two dta's. I  have the limited basic package. I have about a dozen channels which have the interruption message. should I contact Comcast regarding this stations or are these stations I do not receive. do this mean because I can scroll on these channels I should be receiving them ? thank you

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

cobalt

You can verify which channels you should be getting for Limited Basic in your area by going to the Blue PROGRAMMING button on the top of this page. Select Channel Lineups, enter your address and zip code on the next page. There should be a Pull Down menu that will list the various service tiers available. Choose Limited Basic and see what channels you are supposed to be receiving.

If the ones that don't show up now are on the list of what you should receive then call in and see if they can send a reset signal to those boxes. Also make sure the coax is tight, do not run the coax through a surge protector strip either as this interferes with some signals. If the reset doesn't work you may need a tech out to check signals.

Limited Basic varies by each market but is generally channels 2-23 with various stations added in by each local area. As fellow customers we have no idea of what is available in your area.

Contributor
TheJanitor

Not to beat what is perceived to be a dead horse, but I now have this problem after a few years of trouble-free operation. Comcast swapped out the boxes, and I replaced the two splitters in the system, but the problem persists. Seems to be only the local channels that are getting whacked. Any ideas?
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Any digital cable box including the DTA's need a good signal level across the complete band of frequencies from 54mhz to 750 or 860mhz depending on the system.

It is very easy to be out of those specs from any RF issue with the coax and excessive splitting, loose / corrorded / wet F connector and damaged coax including the drop cable.

Without using the proper test equipment to check and confirm a proper signal level at each TV outlet, it's all a guess on exactly what the signal levels are.

The best troubleshooting steps would be to get in a professional with a SLM to check the RF levels, BER and SNR at each outlet and find out exactly where the loss is coming from.

You can also guess and add a good quality drop amp before all the splitters except for the one for the cable modem.  That will usually boost the signal enough to get it into spec.  Depending on the wiring and splitter arrangement in the home, homes with daisy-chained cabling might end up with too much signal level at the top end of the chain.

In the meantime, check that all F connectors are snug at the box, the TV outlet and any accessable splitters.  Make sure the F connectors are firmly attached to the coax.  Make sure you are not routing your coax jumpers through any AC surge protector strip coax ports.