Visitor

DTA Remote won't turn on Philips Magnavox 19PR15 TV

OK, I just got my DTA and it works fine except I'm having a hard time finding the correct remote code for my Philips Magnavox 19PR15 TV. There is no "Philips Magnavox" on the supported TV list, so I tried every code for Philips and every one for Magnavox by manually typing them in. I also tried to find the code using the 991 method of hitting ChUp a number of times. I hit ChUp over 100 times.

The closest I have gotten was a code that will me allow to turn the TV off, control volume and ChUp & ChDown, but it will NOT turn the TV on. I see the light near the IR receiver flash on my TV when I hit the button to turn it on, but it never turns on.

The original remote controls the TV fine, and I programmed another universal remote I have and it works fine, so I know there is nothing wrong with the TV and that codes do exist. If you're wondering why I don't just use the other universal remote, I don't believe it can be programmed to change the channels on the DTA. Here it is just in case: http://www.universalremote.com/product_detail.php?model=111.

I have searched all the posts here and googles forever, but haven't found a solution, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

Thanks.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: DTA Remote won't turn on Philips Magnavox 19PR15 TV

On/off is just a toggle of the same button, so I would think if it works to turn it off it would also turn it on.
Silver Problem Solver
andyross

I had the EXACT same issue with an old Magnavox TV at my parent's house. The code search would turn the TV on, but that same code would only turn off after that. The TV worked fine with an older universal remote (the original remote was long gone.) I think there may be a bug in the remote's database and it's using discrete codes instead of the general power code (some devices have both a power toggle, along with separate ON and OFF codes they understand, even if the original remotes don't use the discrete codes.)

In my case, we found another unused TV that had a working code. 

Visitor

Same problem with Philips/Magnavox TP2785. Help us Comcast! You're our only hope...

Bronze Star Contributor

I have a Magnovox TV and have the SAME PROBLEM.

I can find a code for the TV but it will either turn it OFF only, or turn it ON only.  Not both !

Very....very.... weird.... AND AGGRAVATING !

Recognized Contributor
stonecoldbandi

my recomendatioin is to goto comcast and ask for a new remote...not the dta remote but the silver one...that one will control the tv on/off and will control the dta.  there is a known issue with the dta remotes and certain magnavox tv's i read on another forum.

Bronze Star Contributor

stonecoldbandi,

THANKS !

That sounds like a great suggestion.

I'll try my luck.

Regards.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

I do not believe the silver remotes will control the DTA's. The DTA's use XMP protocol, and most likely only the dark gray remotes used with the DCX series boxes will work. Whether or not the bigger remotes have better code lists is harder to tell. At the minimum, the full remotes are typically JP1.x remotes (6-pin header next to the batteries.) With a cable and some software, you can program the remote and add your own codes and other features.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/

Visitor

Come on Comcast, can you please help?

Recognized Contributor
stonecoldbandi

new solution....on the dta remote hit enter, power will work..the same with turning it on ...enter, power

Bronze Star Contributor

Does that work to turn it off AND to turn it on ?

Recognized Contributor
stonecoldbandi

yep should work

Bronze Star Contributor

Great !

THANKS....  you have made life easier.  :smileyhappy:

Contributor

stonecoldbandi wrote:

new solution....on the dta remote hit enter, power will work..the same with turning it on ...enter, power

Thanks so much!! Hitting enter, then power works for me on my Magnavox TV. I was also having this problem. Comcast phone support told me to wait about an hour for all the channels to update. Still did not work. I felt I'd have a better chance finding the answer on the forums, and I was right. Comcast should still fix the problem with the remote but at least there's a work around.

New Visitor
twodollarphil

I have the same problem. I found that if you hit any button on the remote then hit power, it works every time. Only problem is, this is unacceptable to my wife! :-(

Contributor
Contributor
X0

Please specify what the "enter" button is:  is it the "OK/Select" red button in the center or another one? 

Thank you!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Xo

This post is about the small black remote that comes with the DTA, not the full size Comcast silver or platnium remote.

Contributor
Contributor
X0

Thank you for the clarification.  However, the problem remains with my brand new, just installed cable box and its Xfinity Custom 3-Device Universal Remote Control do not work together  The Comcast technician who installed it, kept trying codes for my Magnavox LCD/HD Ready TV:  model 15MF605t/17.  He gave up, and left me having to control the TV On/Off with the Magnavox remote, and separately having to use the Xfinity remote for all other controls.  This is just not satisfactory -- it's cumbersome with my room configuration, about which I have no choice.  And it doesn't fulfill Comcast's promise of service.  Comcast is in effect asking me to get another TV.  I will not do that. 

Could you please tell me how best to resolve this problem myself?  I have searched high and low for all possible advice on the Web, and just finally found out that the codes are all prefaced now with a "1".  But the online Comcast remote manual (the only one I could find) dated 5/14/03) lists them all without the 1. 

Please furnish reliable up to date information on this problem.  I'm sure you can solve it for me, and for the many others whose complaints show up on the web for Magnavox/Phillips products!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Magnavox and Philips TV's use a different code for on and a different code for off, they are the only ones that do that, and no universal remote works with those TV's with a single power button.  The only work around is I think that pressing the vol up before the power will turn off the set.

You will never get this to work just by pressing the power for both on and off, it's Magnavox that messed it up from industry standards.

Contributor
Contributor
X0

Thanks for this!  I've found two five digit Magnavox codes that work.  They turn On the cable box to channels, but they do not the TV turn off -- as you say.  Power off does not turn off the box. Then, with +Vol they turn off the Box but not the TV.

What if I were to program my TV model as an "aux" and not TV.  Would that mess up things with Comcast?  If there's no harm in trying this, please let me know.

I really appreciate your atttention to this!

\

Contributor
Contributor
X0

Just fiddled some more,  Code 11454 for Magnavox works. Hit TV and Power turns on TV.  Power Turns off Box, but not TV.  MUTE button, after Box turned off, turns off TV.!!! 

However, I programmed Setup by first pressing TV once.  That is not in the instructions for Programming Device, only for Search for Code.  Perhaps ths is the workaround for Magnavox???  Please comment. anybo\\

Contributor
Contributor
X0

Made a mistake in typing. Here's edit:

Just fiddled some more,  Code 11454 for Magnavox works. Hit TV and Power turns on TV. --press and hold a little.    Power Turns off Box, but not TV..   Hit MUTE button, after Box turned off, and that turns, turns off TV.!!! 

However, I programmed Setup by first pressing TV once.  That is not in the instructions for Programming Device, only for Search for Code.  Perhaps ths is the workaround for Magnavox???  Please comment. anybody,  

Contributor
Contributor
X0

Final Post on Comcast Remote and Magnavox Codes:  Perisistence Pays

After Comcast technicians brought a new box and remote and tried to get things working, they gave up.  They told me some TV manufacturers don't supply codes to Comcast.  I was left using both TV and Comcast remotes.

The next day, I kept trying, but still couldn't make it happen.  So I phoned Comcast Accounts and with a very cooperative tech person on the line, we tried every different Magnavox code she had access to.  Nothing worked.  But she made out an order for a free technician visit for the next day, and requested that they carry with them a Comcast Universal Remote to try.

They did not bring that remote and declared that there was no way to make this happen.  I kept insisting that if the Remote were programmed one way, it could be programmed another.  "We're technicians, not engineers."   One of the techs said sympathetically, you could call the Comcast Technical Supervisor (for my City), and gave me his name and number.

I talked, he listened, and said, "I will send out a technician who knows a few tricks."  The tech came very soon, took in the problem, and set to work.  Sure enough, using the interminable Search for Code function, he came upon one that turned off the TV!  Then he kept going with a lot of Remote key punching to make it permanent. (I had done that for a boring 15 minutes; he came up with one in about half the time).

Comcast Remotes can be programmed for Magnavox TVs (mine is an HD/LCD bought in 2006).  Don't settle for "No."

Bronze Star Contributor

Ok.   Thanks a lot for that info.

Can you please tell us what that code was so we can try it too ?

Thanks.

Contributor
Contributor
X0

I was all ready to write it down, but no, the Remote keeps it to itself and there's no way to identify it that I'm aware of.  Maybe others know differently!

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

X0 wrote: I was all ready to write it down, but no, the Remote keeps it to itself and there's no way to identify it that I'm aware of.  Maybe others know differently!

The procedure is in the "Manual" for the remote. If you would follow these steps and post the code, you would be doing your fellow customers a big favor:

Checking the Codes

Perform the following steps after setting up your devices to find out which five-digit code operates your equipment. For example, to find out which code is operating your TV:

• On the remote control, press TV. Then press and hold Setup until the TV key blinks twice, then release Setup.
  • Enter 9 9 0. After you release 0 The TV key should blink twice. You are ready to read out the TV code.
  • To view the code for the first digit, press 1. Count the number of times the TV key blinks and write down the number (no blink = 0).
  • Press 2 for the second digit, 3 for the third digit, 4 for the fourth digit and 5 for the fifth digit. After each keypress, count and record the number of blinks.

Your help would be much appreciated!

Contributor
Contributor
X0

That didn't happen under these circumstances.  As my post clearly says, I wasn't doing this, the Comcast tech was, concentrating mightily and pushing lots of buttons.  I know the directions say the code makes itself visible, but he claimed it does not.  Another user will have to figure this one out, but again, getting Comcast help is the basic message here.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

X0 wrote: ... I know the directions say the code makes itself visible, but he claimed it does not. ...

Sometimes, techs are mistaken . . .

New Visitor
chsing

The directions to make the code visible don't always work, from prior experience. It's a broken system. The tech I had out to my house couldn't find a code for either my old Phillips Magnavox (TP3284CI) OR a brand spanking new (but low end) Seiki.  I figured out the code for the Seiki myself using the search (but it wouldn't make the code visable) and the remote for the P/M will do volume, channels and OFF, but will not turn it on.  Very frustrating.