Visitor
gigcagoan

DTA activation problems.

I am having a problem with activating two DTAs on my account. I'm trying to install them on two TVs in the basement. I live in Chicago, and here's what has happened so far:

1) I picked up 2 Pace DTAs from my local Comcast office and tried activating them. The blinking light stopped, but I was only able to get channel 23. I called into the number and they tried resetting the boxes several times. Still, I was only able to get 1 channel. I thought the boxes may be bad, so...

2) I picked up 2 Cisco DTAs. They were not able to receive the activation signal at all.

3) I picked up 2 Thompson DTAs. Again, they activated properly (steady green light) but I was only able to get channel 23. I called several times over the next few days to send the signal, but even after several resets, nothing changed. I even had a rep try to convince me that my remote was the problem. I thought that maybe the signal was the problem, so I brought them upstairs to the outlet running my working HD DVR and cable modem. Still only channel 23. I figured it would be time for the tech to come in...

4) A tech came in and told me that my signal levels were fine. The lines running around the house and into the basement were RG6Q already, but he replaced the one splitter between the upper floor and the basement and also replaced the compression fittings anyway. He even ran a new RG6 cable down into the basement for good measure. The DTAs still only gave channel 23. After 2 hours of resetting them he decided to climb up the utility pole and check the drop line into the house. That seemed fine, too, he said, and I should just call Comcast in the morning.

5) I picked up 2 Motorola DTAs today just to try and see if I would have any luck. 3 hours on the phone later, they were activated and reset numerous times, but just showed the error message "Your service has been interrupted, it will be restored momentarily." The boxes were still giving me two short blinks. Not to mention that I was transferred to several countries and they all went through the same procedure, one rep even getting angry that I had the boxes set on channel 3 when she INSISTED that everything would work if I would just change everything over to channel 4.

The phone people gave up on me, "escalated" my problem, and scheduled a tech for today, for which he didn't even show up. They again apologized and scheduled for next week. I don't really see how another tech visit would help, considering the lines were all checked out ok and my TV and internet upstairs work fine.

I also looked at the diagnostics screen on the DTAs (by pressing Info on the remote) and the signal never dropped below -1 and the SNR was always around 45. The Pace and Thompson boxes were showing as activated, but the channel map was only showing channel 23. The Motorola boxes said they were activated but were pending initialization.

My question is - is there anything else on my account that could be blocking the proper activation? The tech and the phone reps told me that all the "codes" were in place and it should all go smoothly. I just don't understand how I could keep getting "bad" boxes as some of the reps suggested. I don't know how to get this over to a higher level of customer support to take a closer look at my account to see if anything else is wrong. (Like I said, last time I tried over the phone, I seemed to get bounced from call center to call center.)

I guess it won't be terrible if there is no cable down there, but it's frustrating that it just doesn't work! HELP!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: DTA activation problems.

We can escalate it to the Comcast Cares Team, but they probably won't get to it until next week.

You can also email the team at we_can_help@comcast.com and they probably will respond faster.

Visitor
gigcagoan

Thank you for the reply! I will try e-mailing first and will post how it goes.

Visitor
gigcagoan

Here's an update of what's been going on since my last post.

I e-mailed Comcast and a nice person from executive customer service called me about my problem. She suggested that a technician come out again just to double-check everything and swap out the boxes (again), and so we scheduled that for today.

The tech went through the usual hits and resets to the boxes before switching them out again with the Pace models. They were again bringing in only channel 23 and nothing else. He checked the signal again and changed the splitter again, but everything looked good. As a last resort he dropped a new line form the utility pole and fed it straight into the basement. No change. Even when the tech called the customer service line they kept on insisting that it was the cable and the signal was bad. No solution there.

Executive customer service called after the tech left and she examined my rates. Everything looked ok, according to her, but we changed up my cable and internet packages anyway to see if it would make the difference. We tried to activate the boxes again but to no luck. The activation line rep told us to schedule another technician visit so we did, and we'll see where that goes. This next tech is supposed to bring a supervisor, too. In the meantime, executive customer service will look over my account again and see if anything is blocking my DTAs from working properly.

So we're still stuck. Anyone have any ideas??

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

I would get a digital box.  Yes you will have to pay for it, but isnt it worth it to have your problems go away.  DTA's are for old analog tv's so they can get local channels instead of nothing.  They are not made or intended for getting basic cable on your tv.  I don't know why comcast does not tell people this.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

rog286713 wrote:

I would get a digital box.  Yes you will have to pay for it, but isnt it worth it to have your problems go away.  DTA's are for old analog tv's so they can get local channels instead of nothing.  They are not made or intended for getting basic cable on your tv.  I don't know why comcast does not tell people this.

Maybe Comcast should have developed a better box before they went on their "Digital" experiment?  Of course that would mean planning ahead.  It is more likely that Comcast did indeed consider a new DTA box, but figured out that it would be cheaper to keep the old ones, and put up with customer complaints, and/or solve the problem by charging customers more for a box that does more than they need it to do???

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Comcast is not doing a digital experiment.  The US govt mandated that all LOCAL tv channels be switched to digital,  so for older tube type tv's that means a box is necessary to receive those channels now.  That is all it means.  Has your area gone through the transition yet?   If not don't even use the dta until its necessary. 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

There were two digital migrations

The first was the government's transistion of Over the Air to digital. Digital ready tvs would have been fine with that, boxes needed for older tvs without digital tuners to receive OTA. At that point Comcast said no boxes would be needed.

Second digital migration was Comcast's World of More. Then the boxes were needed.

Everyone has gone through the first. Technically the signals Comcast has been receiving from local broadcasters in all markets has been digital for over a year. They just kept the analog feeds going.

Apologies if this has taken this off topic