New Visitor

DTA boxes not getting a signal

I've called customer service and have tried on-line chat with techs, no success.  All (3) DTA's I've installed on the tv's do not get a signal.  The green light keeps flashing and a message is on the screen "your service has been temporarily interrupted, it should be restored momentarily".  It's been like this for three days - way beyond momentarily.  Basically, the tv's are useless.  No one knows what the problem is.  Any suggestions ????
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: DTA boxes not getting a signal

Comcast forum administrator notified.
Official Employee
ComcastBillG

email me account information.

Thank you,

William Gerth
Comcast Help Forums Administrator
william_gerth@cable.comcast.com
New Visitor

We've had this problem for months.  If I didn't have kids, I'd get rid of Comcast altogether.  This is so frustrating that we can't watch a single program.
Visitor

I have this problem on one of my tv sets.  What a pain!!!  I tried unplugging it and waiting and then plugging it back in.  It didn't help. I hate these new boxes!
Visitor

On the phone with techs again tonight!  Still no picture but now they are telling us we need new splitters or new cable run inside the house or something else because the signal isn't strong enough to the tvs!  (the signal was strong enough before the new boxes)  They offered to send a tech out to the house...yeah like I am giving them another 60+ dollars for this.  I wish I had taken my sister's advice and switched to direct when she did.  She figured there would be trouble when they kept saying "we've got you covered!  Sorry, I had to vent!!!
Regular Contributor

I've got the same problem. A Comcast tech. is supposed to show up Sunday afternoon. We'll see. This has been an incredibly frustrating experience. I wasted 3 hours trying to set up the DTA boxes. You wouldn't think things could go wrong with 3 cables, but this is an upgrade mess.
Regular Contributor

The Comcast tech showed up a few minutes early on Sunday. He spent about an hour getting both DTA boxes to work. The biggest problem was getting our LCD TV to receive a signal through the Motorola DCH70 Standard-Definition All-Digital Cable Receiver. He finally got it to work by resetting the TV's "Source" to AV2 instead of Cable, and adding some cables to the connection--none of which was explained online or in any of the information that came with the boxes.

Comcast materials do not tell you that you will need extra electrical outlets; we went from two plugs to four by the time we were done. Get a power strip before you have anything installed.

My wife was furious when the tech said that there was no way to program the VCR to tape a program; the only way is to tape a program while you are watching it. None of Comcast's promotional or instructional materials say that. If we had known that we would have postponed the upgrade until later this summer. We're still trying to figure out if we can play back tapes.  

We had a problem changing channels because of inaccurate information in in "Start Here. Digital Receiver Setup and Activation Guide". The Guide said to "press CHANNEL up or down, use the remote to select a channel by entering the channel number and then pressing select (or enter)." Entering the channel number and pressing select brought up an screen message about contacting the cable company to get this service, followed by several lines of numbers and codes that stayed on the screen for about 2 minutes, and showed up again if we changed channels.

Since I couldn't find any printed information or online information or help, we finally quit pressing the channel number and "Select"; changing them directly works fine as does changing them plus "Enter." I don't know if this was just our TV/cable box connection, or a more widespread problem, but it's not helpful for Comcast to tell you do do something that creates unexplained problems.

I tried to get online Comast help--but couldn't get much. I tried "Live Chat" but after I typed in a long description of a problem we were having, the program said I could not have more than 256 characters in my message. Why wasn't that on the screen before I typed everything in? Other "help" strategies were equally unhelpful, requiring "keywords" that could not describe the problem. And phone calls that put you through a maze of automated voice options are confusing and sometimes irrelevant. It took much too long to actually talk to a Customer Service Rep to schedule the installation appointment. Comcast wanted to talk me through the installation on the phone, but given what the tech found, that would have been yet another waste of my time.  

Even though the "Comcast Digital Transport Adapter Universal Remote" for the DTA on our older tube TV is supposed to turn the TV on/off, it does not. We need the TVs remote to turn the TV on/off and the Comcast remote to change the channel--the technician said this was the way it had to be.

And some of the features (like On Demand) don't work yet; I hope they work in the future. This has been the most complicated and frustrating project I've ever dealth with, and I've worked with computers and various upgrades since 1985. We live outside Minneapolis, and it seems that this upgrade has been pushed out too early; even the technician couldn't answer all our questions and said that there were problems that Comcast was still working on. Comcast customer service still has a very long way to go.

Regular Contributor

Re: DTA boxes not getting a signal: Problem Solved

Comcast fixed this problem of On Demand not being functional at all!

Customer Service Rep #1 asked me to turn of the power, wait 30 seconds, and turn it back on to reset the cable box. She said it would take 20 or 30 minutes for the information to show up and that I should call Comcast back if it didn't work because I might need a service call for which I would not have to pay. Her suggested fix didn't work. 

Customer Service Rep #2 asked if the batteries in my remote were OK, asked if I had tried turning the power off and on again (which I had done twice) with the problem still not being fixed. She tried to schedule a service call (which I would have to pay unless the tech decided that the problem was in Comcast equipment), but she could not complete the service request, so she referred me to another service rep. Instead I wound up back in voicemail options.

Saying "Operator" I got connected to Service Rep #3, Amanda in St. Paul. She asked a few questions, tried a few things that didn't work, and then excused herself for a few minutes. When she came back on the phone, she said that my cable box had an incorrect code, so she would resend all the codes which would take about 20-30 minutes, and that she would call me in about 40 minutes to see if this worked! It did. I wish I had talked with her first.

I undestand why Comcast tells their reps to apologize for the problems I was having, but after a while I found the apologies annoying; I didn't want an apology, I wanted a competent solution.

In their mailings, it would have been very helpful if Comcast would have given us the choice of the free Digital Adapter Boxes or the $15.95 High Definition Service with DV-R service. Since our VCR is pretty much useless, we'll probably order the High Def/DV-R. We could have avoided this whole Digital Adapater, analog quality picture, VCR that can't record one program while we watch another, etc.

What you get with Comcast is a failure to communicate.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg