Contributor

DTA does not show all channels in the 100s

Ok

I have been on the phone.  I have been on live chat.  I have looked through theses boards.  After all that I STILL cannot get a straight answer.

I just downgraded two STBs to two DTAs because I am being  ripped off badly on equipment fees now that my first year promo is over.  I swapped my boxes today and got them activated and up and running.  Now when i try to tune in 101, 114, 133, 150 and others, they do not appear.  This is in the Philadelphia area and those channels are: weatherscan, bbc america, teen nick and encore.  There are others missing but I don't need to list them all.  Why do they not appear?  I have asked on the phone and in broken english I got no where.  On the online chat the tech sent a signal and still no results and when I asked her if I SHOULD get these channels I get the cyber  run around.  What gives?  Why cant I get a straight answer?  If I dont get them then why cant they tell me?  If  I could afford to get my STBs back I would but not right now.

I was happy with my cable until now but now I think Direct Tv deserves a call back.

ARE YOU LISTENING COMCAST?  VERIZON IS LOOKING GOOD TO ME AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: DTA does not show all channels in the 100s

I don't believe those channels are included in your downgraded package.  Click on the blue "Programming" tab at the top of this page, select the "Channel Lineup" dropdown, and look at the list of channels for your package.

Contributor

Ahhh!!!!!  You hit another sore spot!  I tried that and for the longest time, when I put my address info in I get a message that says they are working on the lineup for my area.  I mean for a while now I cannot get any channel lineup information for my area.  What gives?

Regular Contributor

the key phrase is downgraded - and you aren't going to like anything I'm going to write. 

The DVR or STB  will let you get a certain number of channels with an on screen interactive menu.

The DTAs will only give you a select few of those channels, so even if you are paying for the larger package, you will only get the lower package thru the DTA.  Unfortunately there is no where on the comcast website that details which channels you get thru the DTA.  Every basic package lists more channels than the ones the DTAs funnel thru.

More so- the packages offered on the website, make no mention of STB or DTAs or how many TVs they will provide for.

I am in the Philly area as well and I am missing Weather scan - I have to remember which TVs have what to find the one that will give weatherscan

Regular Problem Solver
jjv124

The DTA is designed to give you basically channels 2-99 there are some in the hundreds that you'd get things like CMT, TCM, and GSN.  Now those are the ones in my area and of course your mileage may vary.  However the channels you are talking about are part of the digital preferred package.  They should have explained those options to you when you called to downgrade those boxes.  In my area the digital preferred package boxes are 8.95 a month but again YMMV.  While the answers here aren't the ones you probably want to hear, but they are the answers that will help you make an informed decision going forward.  If you want those channels back I'd suggest that you call comcast back and talk to them about what you've gone through and maybe they can work something out that is ok for you.

New Visitor

The key here is that you can keep all the channels you get using a direct connection to your "cable ready TV" by using the DTA after the digital conversion from analogue is complete.

In the case I actually get more channels with a DTA because my TV only got up to channel 70 something.

The DTA does not get all the channels an STB does.

Comcast could seriously do a better job marketing the DTA as they say everywhere that you "keep all the channels you get now" yet say nothing about the difference between an STB vs DTA. It should be clearly stated that a DTA is not and STB replacement.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

JJV

Are your boxes HD? Or is that the standard fee for your STBs? I have Digital Preferred and our area will be finishing the transition later this year. Got the notice for updated boxes and was wondering if the DTAs would go over 100. Nice to know. Will help me determine how many channels I want to carry at the time our area switches over. 

New Visitor

My boxes are not HD. The DTA will go over 100 but does not receive subscription channels like HBO, STARS, ETC... In my area of Georgia I am also unable to get BBC America, The Science channel, Nick jr., Noggin, PBS Sprout, Weatherscan, NatGeo, Wild, Green, Military Channel, Encore, etc.. So far nothing on the "Digital classic" portion of my channel range works through a DTA. 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

I asked about the box price because right now we don't pay that for STBs in our area. Just over $2.50 with the remote. Bummer about the DTAs but not surprising. Would be nice with those to get the channels a person pays for. Again not surprised by this. Personally I may look at one of the lower packages to make it economical and get the stuff I want from BBC America, Science, etc from the Net. My nephew uses a site for Doctor Who and he doesn't pay for cable anymore.

Thanks for the feedback

Regular Problem Solver
jjv124

commanguy wrote:

JJV

Are your boxes HD? Or is that the standard fee for your STBs? I have Digital Preferred and our area will be finishing the transition later this year. Got the notice for updated boxes and was wondering if the DTAs would go over 100. Nice to know. Will help me determine how many channels I want to carry at the time our area switches over. 

The price I mentioned is now 9.25, it's for any secondary set top box in the house, that's whether I have digital preferred, starter, hd or whatever. 

The price for the DTA's are still 1.99

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Thanks. Just checked my price list again and I think I  see what the deal is. First STB 2.50. First and Second digital outlet free, 3rd and above 1.99. DTAs free with the digital transition but they don't tell you about the outlet fee. So the people that have been stating they get charged for extra boxes are probely getting charged the outlet fee.

And since Comcast states that at this point in time no box is needed for Limited Basic it makes me wonder what the charge for "Receiver,Basic cable only" would be for.

So with 3 tvs, one STB at present for Digital Preferred going with the DTAs could add a measly 1.99 to my future bill for the 3rd outlet? While not excessive it would seem Comcast would point this out to customers since they are doing such a massive campaign for the Customer Service issue. I understand advertising and the need to make the deal look good but if your product is sound mention all the fine points to a customer, especially exsisting customers, up front and if they agree the product is sound they will stay. Like the latest DirectTv offer I got in the mail. Yeah sounds good with the flash and bang at the start for $24.99 per month but read further. 5.00 per month lease fee on the 2nd and 3rd receivers and of course that rate goes up each month. Plus in my area, zip code, if I installed Direct the local PBS station is supposedly not offered to me for my county. In this zip code, different county, it is offered. Kicker is I live about 1 mile from the county line for that division. I haven't taken the time to harrass Direct about that fine line over satellite service but maybe in the future just for the fun of it.

Okay, venting over.

Thanks

New Visitor
badserviceagain

The DTA's get less channels than the silver remotes and I have extended service but since the DTA's first came out I have at least been able to get channels 101-119 and then 137, 161, 162, 245 and 249 and maybe a few more. About 2 weeks ago all the DTA's when I came home lost service and they all came back to normal except one. I called Comcast and they mailed me a new one that is no bigger than the size of a paperback book like the others but came in a box that was as big as the size of 4 microwaves put together (no exaggeration). Absolutely Ridiculous! Then I noticed that I am NOW not getting over channel 100 on any of the DTA's. I called Comcast around 10 pm and got India and of course they are not given the ability to correct anything and they are not told the correct information and keep just repeating what is on their screen to say or they keep repeating what I am asking. I hate to get frustrated with them because I know it's not their fault Comcast doesn't give them the proper tools to work with but we of course take it out on them because they are representing Comcast and our service is not getting fixed. FRUSTRATING! Usually when I call during open U.S. Hours the Reps can fix issues like this within a few momentsThey tell you all the time they are their for you 24 hours a day but just answering a phone and not resolving anything is not being open, it is just another....... Takes too much time, get no where, ticked off night again with Comcast. No wonder Comcast is known for having the WORST customer service then anyone. There are even T-shirts you can buy online that joke about it. Unfortunately direct and dish cannot supply enough boxes for my home or I would switch in a New York minute. When they do, I will. For now I just have to remember to only call during day U.S. HoursAlthough this could be another feature that they are taking away from us and going to charge us additional for if we want it back. Also.....How can they call it a $99.00 PACKAGE if you have to pay additional for remotes and special boxes just to get all the channels you are paying for and pay additional for the modem just so you can get the internet that is again SUPPOSED to be included in the package and why, oh why, doesn't the government step in and do something about this. They have regulations for everything else.