New Visitor
AprilSull17

DTA remote won't change channels

My area is making the switch to digital cable, so I ordered the digital transport adapter. When it came in, I set everything up and activated it. The DTA is set for channel 3 and my TV was on channel 3 and right away an image came up. I programmed the little, black DTA remote and it could turn the power off and adjust the volume, everything but change the channel, so my TV is stuck on one channel (which is an incredibly boring channel, by the way).

I contacted Comcast and went through series of troubleshooting, and the representative informed me that I received a bad box and I would need to swap the DTA and its remote with new ones. I drive to the closest Comcast service store the next day, get the new equipment, and repeated the process of setting it up, activating it, and programming the DTA remote. Same problem. I've tried troubleshooting it by myself in case it's just a huge user error, but I can't figure out how to fix this. Help?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: DTA remote won't change channels

You are pointing the DTA's remote at the front of the DTA, right? 

Make sure you did not plug in the IR remote receiver in the back, as that disables the front IR receiver inside the DTA.

New Visitor
AprilSull17

Yes, I made sure to point it directly at the DTA, not the TV, and I tried it with and without the remote control signal receiver.

And I did not have it plugged in when I tried using the remote without the remote control signal receiver.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

--

Sorry about the issues you are having with your DTA remote. Since you have a picture on channel 3 lets try these steps and  see if we can program your remote. 

1. Make sure the batteries are inserted correctly.

2. Make sure your remote can "see the front of the DTA.

3. Turn on your TV, Press and hold "Set" until the red light on the remote blinks twice. Release

4. Point the remote at the TV and press "ch+" one or more times until the TV turns off.(You may have to press CH+ numerious times. )

5. Press "set" once to lock in the code. The red light on the remote will blink twice.

6. Press power to turn your TV on.

If these steps do not work we may need to get a technician out to your home to program your remote.

Please let me know if this work.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

ComcastKeisha wrote: [procedure to program DTA remote to TV]

Isn't the OP complaint that they have volume and power control of the TV but can't change the channel of the DTA?

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

When I first received my DTA's all controls worked properly on the remote except the volume control.  I was told to return the remotes for new ones.  However, unplugging the DTAs for a couple of minutes and plugging them back in solved the problem for both units.

The same technique might work for your channel selection problem.

New Visitor
karmc

if anyone is looking for an end result to this this problem as i was - remove the plug-in remote sensor (if you have it plugged into the back of the DTA), and unplug the DTA for a few minutes. should work fine. 

I had programmed the remote, but only channed 3 came on. my remote turned the TV on and off, and volume would go up and down with the remote, but channels wouldn't work. comcast had advised me to return my remotes for replacements. glad i found this thread.  

New Visitor
Essence8

Once I removed the IR cable in back it started working. Thanks!

New Visitor
Sheisme33

I had the problem of the volume button not working also.. I unplugged the plug for the sensor and power for a few seconds then went through the steps to reprogram by pressing set until it blinked 2x then pressing 991 then the channel up button until the tv turned off then hit the set button again. Worked like a charm.. Thanks for the info!
New Visitor

Yup! Me too. Thanks!
Visitor

My DTA remote turns channels and volume but will NOT turn ON or turn OFF the TV.   I tried the set, then the 991 code.

I tried the set and no code ........

Am at wit's end.

What should I do?  Using two remotes is just ridiculous.........tv remote for on/off and data remote for

volume and channels.  Pretty nutty and time consuming.

New Visitor
rcolli10

I’m having exactly the same problem since I had to install this little receiver (small black box).

I lost the numbers of technicians that came to my place to try to resolve my problem. New receivers, cables, batteries, remote control, but NO solution!!!

At one point I thought that it could be some problem related to the wiring inside the walls. Guess what???

I just moved to a new place and my nightmare persists. New receiver, new wires, new remote control and no solution.

Problem description: capable to turn TV on and OFF and volume up and down using Comcast remote control, but channel is almost impossible! It works whenever it feels like, for a couple of seconds, and them it gets stucked again.

I’m waiting for a technician visit right now (was scheduled between 8 and 10am… its 10:20 and he hasn’t show up yet!!!). If problem is not solved, I’m definitely giving up with Comcast and going to choose another company. No reason to pay for 100+ channels but wont be able to use it!!!

New Visitor
Nubian56

manamok wrote:

When I first received my DTA's all controls worked properly on the remote except the volume control.  I was told to return the remotes for new ones.  However, unplugging the DTAs for a couple of minutes and plugging them back in solved the problem for both units.

The same technique might work for your channel selection problem.

Thanks so so much. I received my Xfinity service yesterday and had the problem with the channel selection on the remote. I followed the unplug remedy and the problem was resolved. Now my spouse can relax comfortably in bed and enjoy the TV.....and I can have peace of mind:smileyhappy: