Contributor
dlawrence50

DTA with DVD Recorder and Scientific Atlanta 8300HD

I have a dvd recorder that used to be able to receive the tv signal and record various channels during the day. I could then watch through to my tv or burn to a dvd. I also have an 8300HD hooked up to my tv to record various programs on my DVR.  With the digital update I had to get a DTA to hook up to my dvd recorder. But I am only able to record one channel. Is there a way around this so that I can record several channels on the dvd recorder?

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Re: DTA with DVD Recorder and Scientific Atlanta 8300HD

The Comcast DTA (small/cheap Digital to analog RF converter) is not capable of being programmed, and thus must be set manually to the channel you want it to receive (with that channel being output on 3 or 4 as determined by the switch on the back of the unit).  Comcast set-top boxes on the other hand can be programmed to change channels at specific times, such that a recorder set to channel 3 can be set to record at the desired time.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Old VCR's and DVD recorders are now basically obsolete. All the work arounds to use them are clumsy at best.

Time to rent or buy a DVR. You will be much happier.

Contributor
dlawrence50

I do have a DVR - the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. Before March I could record a show on my DVD recorder and take it to work to watch at lunch. Now I had to get a DTA for the DVD recorder. But I can only record something on one channel. I would like to record something on 2 channels. My DVD recorder is only a year old. All of this is hooked up to one tv.

Contributor
scott-bobby

you do not need at Dta box if your on the SA 8300, on other tvs yes you do.  you need to hook up the dvd recorder to the tv that has the SA 8300, you can only tape whats being shown but thats the same if you have the dta so I dont get what the issue is.   you cannot record something on two channels, you need to put the dvd recorder on the channel you want to watch and record and keep it on channel 3 and keep the box on the recording channel.  Like others have said time for a dvr

Contributor
dlawrence50

The 8300 is a DVR!!!

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

dlawrence50 wrote: ... I can only record something on one channel. I would like to record something on 2 channels. ...

It isn't clear what you are asking.  What does "record something on 2 channels" mean exactly? You can do that with the DVR, and then transfer to the DVDR if you want.

The DVDR can record one of the same channels the DVR is recording, or any other channel of your choosing if you set it up as described above. What is it you want to do / are having problems with?

Contributor
6-N-8-I-8-C-2-K

I'm guessing your DVD recorder was able to tune to more than one channel when connected directly but now you need a DTA which must be fixed to either channel 3 or 4. No solution here to help. It's not possible unless someone made a remote that would change channels on a schedule all on its own. Good luck