Visitor
Accepted Solution

DVD Recorder/VCR Recorder Connect to Comcast DVR and Sharp HDTV

I'm looking for help to determine the ideal set up. I have tried several connection combinations and am unsuccessful in being able to use all functions of my Magnavox ZV427MG9A DVD Recorder/VHS Recorder which must connect to an external tuner.  I have a Comcast Cisco RNG200 DVR cable set top.  My TV is a SHARP HDTV. These are my possible connections.

Sharp HDTV connections - (other than cable in/out), "TV" (if HDMI not used) and 8 other inputs: Input 1 or 2 has Component vid/aud cable; Input 1 or 3 has AV cable; Input 2 has S-vid/aud; Inputs 5, 6, 7 & 8 have HDMI connectors, Input 4 has RGB cable & 3.5 mm sterio mini jack cable (computer hookup).  In addition there is a digital audio output.

Cisco RNG200 DVR connections - has cable out, HDMI, "Archive" for AV cable, "Out 1" for both AV and Component connectors, and S-Video/IR optical/audio out.

DVD/VCR Combo Recorder/Player connections - Line 1(back) HDMI, Digital Audio Out - Coaxial, Audio out L/R, S-Video out; Component Video Out, S-Video in; In-Audio-Out AV cables. Line 2 (front) has S-Video and AV cable.

Also, I'm assuming that my cable box or TV is an external tuner - please advise. 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Re: DVD Recorder/VCR Recorder Connect to Comcast DVR and Sharp HDTV

[ Edited ]

The box is the tuner.

Might I suggest this setup.

Cable box to TV use a HMDI cable from the box to the tv HDMI input.

For the DVD/VCR

Use the A/V(Red/White/Yellow) output from the cable box to the A/V input on the DVD/VCR.

I would use the Component out (Red/Green/Blue video cables with Red/White audio cables) I use the Component output on my Panasonic DVD/VCR combo. Decent picture.

Remember to select the proper input when using the cable box to view tv or the dvd.

Visitor

Thank you for the rapid response. Which TV HDMI input (5-8)? Also, I can connect to play DVDs (and probably VCR), but I can't record from my TV or DVR to DVD (and probably VCR).  I will try your suggestion however.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

You can pick any HDMI input you wish, just write down the number to remember.

The outputs from the cable box to the DVD/VCR combo should allow you to record also. You just won't be able to record one channel and watch a different one anymore. Whatever channel the cable box is set to is the one that will record.

Post back if you have further questions

Visitor

Thank you - it worked perfectly.  Initially I thought I had to record on DVD from the HDMI input (e.g., Input 5) while watching the channel being recorded, and then playback on the Component input (e.g., Input 1). When that didn't work, I started to check out the VCR and discovered I could also watch the TV from Input 1. Then recording worked for DVD also.  So everything is working as desired.

Couple of question - could I also use an HDMI from the DVD/VCR combo to the TV (in addition to the HDMI from Cable Box to TV)? And could I use the component cables from Cable Box to DVD/VCR combo?

Thanks again.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

If your DVD/VCR combo has a HDMI output and you have a free HDMI input on the tv then yes you could use HDMI off the DVD unit. Usually only Blu-Ray DVD players have HDMI output.

I looked up the manual on your unit and it looks like you only have the Red/White/Yellow composite inputs or it looks like it also has a S-video input. So you won't be able to use Component cables in.