New Visitor
Sopy9262

DVD Recorder not working with RNG 110

On Saturday July 23, 2011 my old cable box shorted out during a thunderstorm in the Chicago area.  The replacement box I received will not allow me to record with either a Magnabox or Sony DVD recorder.  I am not talking about a Premium Channel like Encore, HBO or Cinemax.  I am talking about History Channel, Nickelodeon ESPN, channels that the old box would allow recording.  This is the second newer box I've tried.  They will not issue me one of the older boxes and online tech support was a joke.  The tech gave up and ended the session without even a good bye, just I'm sorry and disconnected.  Here is the major rub though, if I go to On Demand and chose a show from there, I can record those however On Demand  does not offer all programming.  I am ready to chuck Comcast TV.  No problem with the Interent service. 

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: DVD Recorder not working with RNG 110

the only way to record is to play the show and then hit record on a dvd recorder.  Most of outputs on the boxes have been disabled by the new software making external dvd records useless.  I am suprised you can record on demand.  This is why everyone has the dvr now. 

Regular Contributor
sneva

[ Edited ]

I assume you're getting something like an E25 error message from the DVDR?

The Pace RNG110 has reported  issues in multiple threads with inserting spurious do not record flags into its output stream.  I had the same issue, although it was only channnels aboove 100 that mine did not like.

My issue was resolved with swapping back to a Motorola box ( you may need to try a different location which is what I did to get my current STB ).  An alternative is to purchase a video stabilizer, such as a GREX or GODV!, to strip the false record flags from the signal.

And yes, Comcast was totally useless with this discussion whether it was the phone, email or live chat.

New Visitor
Sopy9262

Yes, that's the error message, I get.  I tried now 3 different offices to get one of the older Motorola boxes but always with the same answer.  Comcast is only issuing the new boxes, sorry for the inconvience, can we interest you in buying a DVR from us?

Thanks for the help.

Regular Contributor
sneva

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I got the DVR upsell too.  I'll go to Uverse  or Dish first.  With the encrypted QAM signal, I have little reason to stay with CC anymore.

Have you tried any of the suburban offices - Lisle, Elmhurst and Rolling Meadows were primarily giving Moto boxes, at least they were a few weeks ago.

BTW, I too could record a VOD show that the RNG prevented recording when broadcast.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

I have two old moto boxes dct3412 all the outputs are disabled on the boxes, fire wire, usb, everything.

Regular Contributor
sneva

HDMI is known to have some issues.  I'm talking component or composite connections.   They can't disable everything.  There has to be an output to feed into the TV.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

hdmi works so does component, everything else is disabled.