New Visitor

DVR FF-Rew control

When I press the FF while viewing a recorded show on the DVR it goes from say 30,31,32, minutes then it's at the end of the program. I have no control after I press the FF or Rewind button. I've tried a different remote, no change. I unplugged the unit for a couple hours to reset it. No change.  Anybody else run into this.
Recognized Contributor

Re: DVR FF-Rew control

Although this sounds fairly extreme, transport controls have been an issue for Moto boxes running older versions of the firmware/software.  The problem of jumping to the end of a recorded program still exists with the latest software pushed to boxes in the Boston area a few weeks back, although it's not as drastic as it was before.  Several other transport issues, including the problem with REW1 and FF1 freezing after a few seconds, seem to have been resolved or at least improved by the latest software.
New Visitor

Having exact same problem!!!!!

We got our HD-DVR two days ago.  We recorded some shows Saturday night.  When we watched them we FFWD through the commercials and didn't have any problems.  The next day we were watching a previously recorded show and when we tried to FFWD through the commercial it would FFWD for a few seconds then skip all the way to the end of the program as if we had finished watching it.  So we ended up having to watch all the commercials...how lame!

INCREDIBLY ANNOYING!!!!!!!
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

emilyclover79 wrote:
Having exact same problem!!!!!

Try using the 30-second skip.
Recognized Contributor

Yay another work-around...
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

That's not a workaround -- it's a very valuable function.  I use it almost exclusively instead of FF.
Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]
Oh I agree and use it too, but don't forget they took that function away and now you have to program it in to a button, most of us use the lock button for that function, but I am just saying that the ff function is another thing that doesn't work correctly so you have to use the 30 sec feature as a work-around and you have to perform a work-around just to get the 30 sec function back on the remote since they made the page arrown 5 min skips.

So basically perform a work-around to allow you to perform another work-around.

Message Edited by LinkNuc on 10-14-2008 10:04 AM
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

LinkNuc wrote:
...now you have to program it in to a button

How difficult is that?  I'll save my frustration for things I can't control at all.  :smileywink:
Regular Problem Solver

LinkNuc wrote:
Oh I agree and use it too, but don't forget they took that function away and now you have to program it in to a button, most of us use the lock button for that function, but I am just saying that the ff function is another thing that doesn't work correctly so you have to use the 30 sec feature as a work-around and you have to perform a work-around just to get the 30 sec function back on the remote since they made the page arrown 5 min skips.

So basically perform a work-around to allow you to perform another work-around.

Message Edited by LinkNuc on 10-14-2008 10:04 AM

:smileylaugh:

Yeah it's kinda pathetic that the customer has to constantly program work-arounds for work-arounds for functions that should work.  A DVR is built off the concept of a VCR taken to the next level.  When fundamental functions like FF and cancelling programs don't work (whack-a-mole) it makes me wonder if the programmers who wrote the software has ever heard, seen or use a VCR before.  How bugs like these make it thru quality control is bewildering and after so many years they still exist in some form.  Just my 2 cents.

Recognized Contributor

Its not difficult for me, but you're missing the point. 

And I absolutely will not defend ComKrap in any way, even the messed up channel guides, they pay a company for the service so they have to be held accountable to assure it is accurate, it should to go thorugh owner acceptance (comast has never even heard of that),  Comcast QA/QC (doesn't exist).  The whole point your finger at the other guy doesn't jive with me. 

Someone should teach these guys the ladder of accountability, they are on the 1st rung "Blame Others" maybe even off the ladder "Unaware/Unconscious"

Thank goodness that they don't make airplanes or work in a critical area such as electricty generation....ugh.
Contributor

here it is 2010 and this problem STILL exists! Will it ever work correctly??

Bronze Star Contributor

I also have the exact same problem. The fast forward/rewind function will not work correctly on ANY live or recorded program on NBC. I was watching a program on discovery and missed part of it. I haven't tried the 30-second skip, but how is that going to fix the problem of the rewind function not working/

I pressed rewind on the remote, and while the screen showed the program was rewinding, nothing was happening. Once I switched to another channel and then back to discovery, the rewind function worked again.

My understanding is that this is a known issue, but there doesn't seem to be any urgency to fix it. When I go to the comcast chat and discuss this is issue, I get the standard "unplug the box, wait two minutes, and plug it back in" to see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, then I either need a new remote, new box, or a technician has to be dispatched.

Regular Contributor

I've had the same problem and found that if I press the FF button multiple times really fast so that it's FF on the fastest speed, the problem doesn't happen as much.  I found that if I attempted to FF on a slow speed it was more likely to jump to the end. 
Bronze Star Contributor

When I contacted Comcast via chat about this, that is exactly what they said to do. Quickly press the rewind button twice and you will have control over the rewind function -- another workaround.

I recently contacted Comcast about this via e-mail because I experienced an issue where it stopped working completely. I e-mailed them back and forth for a period of three days, and unfortunately, I have to say that I did not accomplish anything.

I got generally the same response from each tech -- reset the box, bring the box in to the nearest office for a replacement, contact us via chat to schedule a technician visit.