Recognized Contributor

DVR--No Picture

Please explain this DVR issue: before Friday night at 8 PM, my DVR was working fine.  After 11 AM on Saturday, my DVR is working fine.  Between those times, I recorded 3 shows.  All recorded because they are listed in my DVR recordings and the percentage used increased each time.  However, when I press play, I get a black screen.  The bar with the elapsed time appears as normal, but it's like nothing "stuck" to the DVR.  Again, the percentage used increased and the cable did not go out.  

What happened?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: DVR--No Picture

Please start by unpluging - wait a minute - replug your DVR.  This will rebuild the database for the recordings which might have got corrupted.

If that doesn't help, it might be time to take the DVR and remote to the local Comcast office for a swap.

New Visitor
bckoester

Experinced this issue again last night with Amazing Race and Celebrity Apprentice. Both at different times. Other shows recording in the same time slots appear to be ok.

This has been an issue with Comcast DVR units for years now and it's not being addressed.  Other posts date back to 2006, same symptoms.  This is my 5th HD/DVR box and this one was new out of the box as I insisted and still the same problem.

Shows are there, only black screen is displayed when played, pageing forward does not work. I don't think it's the box I think it's the signal or a programming clitch.  To have 5 boxes all with the same problem, means that boxes have a serious flaw to be addressed or the signal is missing something for the DVR to respond with the proper function.

Sucks when we pay for crappy service over and over. Oh but they can send someone out to your house while you have to take time off and wait, wait, wait and wait even further for them to swap a box and the issue is still there.  Problem is not resolved.

Recognized Contributor

I don't think so.  You supplied the box, you pick it up.  You can send me a new one with a postage paid label and I'll send it back, but if you think that a customer should drive a half-hour, wait in line, drive another half-hour, and then crawl around to install it, you don't know a darn thing about customer service.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

metsinmd wrote:

I don't think so.  You supplied the box, you pick it up.  You can send me a new one with a postage paid label and I'll send it back, but if you think that a customer should drive a half-hour, wait in line, drive another half-hour, and then crawl around to install it, you don't know a darn thing about customer service.

Then please call Comcast for a tech visit, he will fix your issues and bring the right equipment to solve your issue.

Remember, this is a user to user community forum, and no one answering the forum posts works for Comcast, so I didn't supply the box.  Many people would rather drive and swap the box instead of calling and waiting all afternoon for a tech.  It's your choice on how you want to handle this.

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wait, Comcast isn't commenting here?  Then what's the point--so we can vent to each other?  Isn't Comcast George an employee? 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

metsinmd wrote:

Wait, Comcast isn't commenting here?  Then what's the point--so we can vent to each other?  Isn't Comcast George an employee? 

ComcastGeorge has moved on last summer, no one regularly monitors these posts from Comcast.  They only get attention when someone needs specific help with an issue.  Otherwise, the comments just fly by around here.

Recognized Contributor

Thank you JayInAlg.

New Visitor
Screamin_J

Your box had a 'brain f@rt'.

Call in to customer care. have them 'initialize' the box. They use a program called 'grandslam' to do so. When they do this, the box will shut down on its own) don't let them tell you, 'i'll send a signal, just wait 45 minutes'(this is typically from out-sourced agents. They have limited tools (and training)  because they contract to several different companies and their previous call could have been from an ATT customer)  or 'power-cycle.' (although, power-cycling fixes a vast majority of problems a customer calls in for. Not to mention, turning on your t.v., cable box, or having your t.v. on the correct input. My favorite is the customer can't get the tv to change channels... they are using their dvd remote or, yes, their cell phone. These issues account for about 30% of calls, believe it or not))

When they initialize the box you will lose your clock display. change back to time using 'cable box set-up' in your menu and you may have to set up all your future recordings again. Also, when you restart the box it will probably be on channel 1 and say 'one moment please.' change the channel to a standard channel. However, you will NOT lose any recordings because those are saved on a hard drive. If the shows you recorded are black when you view them, you will probably not get those to work, but it should fix future recordings.

You will not be able to access VOD for a short while (up to 45 minutes) and 'to be announced' will show on channel guide. (15 minutes to download). The DVR has to download all the information that tells it, it is a DVR so your DVR may not function for 15 minutes, or so, as well.

The chances of getting 2,3, or 4 boxes in a row are slim. (90% of the time, it is user error. And I'm not just talking about DVR's) However, just like any electronic piece of equipment it's not impossible. (Xbox and the red dot of death or whatever they called it.) Motorola manufactures this equipment. Comcast is not the only cable company to use them.  Motorola monitors issues as reported from each cable company and, just like a car manufacturer, will recall equipment if the failure rate is high enough. Obviously, that is not the case here.

I have had cable from Cox, Charter, Time Warner, Dish Network and Direct TV for as long as I have been watching t.v.. I have never had any issue with any piece of equipment and don't understand how some people have so many issues.

Sorry about the long post.

Other things to think about:

RG59 cable is old. It was made somewhere around the time Christ graduated from Kindergarten. A digital signal only traves 4' on RG59 before signal starts to degrade. Replace it with RG6

Check your grounding wire. The splitter on the side of your house should have a wire connected to a grounding rod. (may be near your electric meter) Check fittings for corrosion. The ones you can see anyway. Look for cable that have fittings that are loose. (where the fitting is swedged onto the cable) any damaged cable. sometimes people rearrange furniture or clean the house and damage cables and wall plates. If you can see the wire mesh (shielding) something's wrong. These are small things you can do to avoid having issues.

This can all cause signal loss and you may experience:

pixilation(squares across the screen)

sound issues

missing channels

inability to get/receive on demand

I could go on all day

sorry for making this post even longer.

New Visitor
retinr2

There is no end to this problem.  I am on my 3rd box over the past 3 years.  I do not watch commercials, so I record everything, so I can skip over them.  I can go about 3-4 weeks before my recordable programs are no longer able to be played back.  I then call Comcast tech to have them re-initalize the box.  This only works for so long.  I then take the box to their office to swap it out for another one, hoping the problem will FINALLY be fixed.  NO hope there.

I REALLY appreciate the complete explanation that the other user posted.  I am playing Comcast over $200 a month for the triple bundle and you would think I could get a quality service in return.  My previous cable provider when I lived in another state was Charter, and I had fawless service from them for many years.

Also, since Comcast is a monoply and work under a local government licensing agreement, you would think that these service quality issues eventually get resolved.  Also NO hope there.