Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

DVR Repeat Stickie

[ Edited ]

Hello Everyone,

Please Post any issues when recording with a DVR. Example Given, when recording Oprah and set the series to record “New Only” you are still receiving ‘repeats’. Example Posts should contain the below information. Thank you to everyone who has assisted gathering examples. Please feel free to post any questions or contact me if needed.

1. What show?
  2. What time?
  3. What channel?
  4. Was this recorded on a DVR?
  5. Which box are you using? This is important. Is the box a Motorola or Scientific Atlanta?
  6. Is this intermittent?
  7. Was this a live event?
  8. Any additional info you may feel useful.

Thank you.

George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator
Regular Contributor

Re: DVR Repeat Stickie

Sigh ...

Set to record "Cold Case" "Clean House" "Hannah Montana" or "iCarly" (just to name a few). Set to record "new episodes only."

Any and all times. I don't set "times" I set series programming and request it record "new" episodes of the indicated series.

A variety of channels - all channels. From Style, Disney, Nickelodeon to CBS and others.

Yes Motorola DVR provided by Comcast and checked by a tech in November 2008. The box is fine.

Not a live event.

Will record ALL episodes of Clean House, Cold Case, etc. 

---

The info I feel is useful is that THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR FOUR MONTHS AND IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!

Why is it so hard to wrap Comcast's brightest technical minds around the fact that if your series descriptions go from

Cold Case (2009) Pratt and Lily solve the murder of a 1950's pinup girl

to

Cold Case. This nailbighter from Jerry Bruckheimer follows to Philadelphia based homicide detectives.

The danged box CANNOT TELL NEW FROM OLD and will RECORD EVERYTHING????

Why all the "what box?" "is it live?" nonsense.

The episode descriptions - being so generic - make it impossible for a DVR set for a series recording to differentiate new from repeats.

Is Comcast hiring because if I, some novice in Hooterville can fathom this, I ought to be cut out for CEO over there or something.

Cable Expert
cypherx

What show?

John & kate plus 8

What time?

All times.  It records them all even though we tell it to only record new episodes.  We end up going forward in the scheduled recordings list to try to head them off.  Here's some future examples...

1/29 Thu 10:30a

2/2 Mon 5:30p

2/2 Mon 9:30p

2/2 Mon 10:00p

(Note the 9:00pm show is correctly listed as "New" in the guide, and that's the one we want.)

What Channel?

Ch 225 TLC HD

Is this intermittent?

Doesn't appear to be.

What box are you using?

Motorola DCH-3416 with the A25 I-Guide software.  Central PA division, Reading, PA headend (zip code 19606).

Was this a live event?

Not a live event.

Additional Info...

The show descriptions are right, it's just missing the repeat flag on repeats.  We use the show descriptions when looking forward in the list of scheduled recordings to decide if we should cancel them or not.

We love Jon and Kate, don't get me wrong...  the DVR aparently loves them even more!  Sad they are moving from their Elizabethtown, PA home.

Cable Expert
cypherx

This is scheduled to record but it is a repeat.  See Orig. air date 2/4/2009.  It did record on that date.  The series recording is set to only record new episodes.  NEW is not tagged in the description, but neither is Repeat.

Info cut and paste from tvplanner:

Thu, Feb 5, 8:00p - 9:00p 067 BRAVO

(Repeat. Orig. air date: 02/04/2009)
2009 | TV14 | 60 mins
The contestants cook at Le Bernardin where their final product will be judged by chef Eric Ripert. Image courtesy of Bravo

Cable Expert
cypherx

Additionally here are more of our series recordings that are set to record new episodes, but they are showing in the Future Recordings list...

Next Monday 2/9

10:30a  Jon & Kate Plus 8 Ch 225 TLC HD

11:00a  Rock of Love Ch 43 VH1

1:00p Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew Ch 43 VH1

3:00p Celebrity Rehab Sober House Ch 43 VH1

4:00p Rock of Love Ch 43 VH1

10:30p Jon & Kate Plus 8 Ch 225 TLC HD

Next Tuesday 2/10

12:00m Intervention Ch 211 A&E HD

1:00a Intervention Ch 211 A&E HD

12:00n Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew Ch 43 VH1

2:00p Celebrity Rehab Sober House Ch 43 VH1

3:00p Rock of Love Ch 43 VH1

Next Wednesday 2/11

12:00n Celebrity Rehab Sober House Ch 43 VH1

1:00p Rock of Love Ch 43 VH1

3:00p Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew Ch 43 VH1

5:00p Celebrity Rehab Sober House Ch 43 VH1

Next Thursday 2/12

11:00a Rock of Love Ch 43 VH1

1:00p Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew Ch 43 VH1

3:00p Celebrity Rehab Sober House Ch 43 VH1

4:00p Rock of Love Ch 43 VH1

Next Friday 2/13

11:00a Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew Ch 43 VH1

1:00p Celebrity Rehab Sober House Ch 43 VH1

2:00p Rock of Love Ch 43 VH1 

4:00p Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew Ch 43 VH1

Next Saturday 2/14

12:00n Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew Ch 43 VH1

2:00p Celebrity Rehab Sober House Ch 43 VH1

5:00p Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew Ch 43 VH1

Next Sunday 2/15

11:00a Rock of Love Ch 43 VH1  

1:00p Celebrity Rehab Sober House Ch 43 VH1

Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

off topic, this thread is for examples/feedback, moving to new thread in tv > guide

Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

off topic, this thread is for examples/feedback, moving to new thread in tv > guide

Regular Problem Solver
slouke

George,

I sat down to watch the show NUMB3RS on CBS tonight that should have been on my DVR from Friday and it wasn't there.  I have it only record only new shows, it was new (I remember from the coming attractions last week) - still didn't record, though.

1. NUMB3RS, episode 'Guilt Trip', New

2. Fri, Feb 13, 10pm PST

3. Channel 706, Portland CBS affiliate in HD

4. Did not record, but should have since it was new.

5. Moto box

6. This is intermittent, I've had a couple of shows not record, even though they were new.

7. Not live

8. I have this show set to record New Only, but it was new and didn't record.  I suspect it wasn't marked new in the TV Guide database, but I'm not certain since I didn't feel the need to look at it in advance.

Visitor

1. All the shows
  2. All the time 
  3. mtv2 140 
  4. I think I'm recording something but it turns out to be something else. 
  5. motorola 
  6. no 
  7. no 
  8. On channel 140 which is mtv2 the guide will say a show is on but when you change it to that channel a different show is on.  This is not good when I have my dvr set up to record a certain show.
Regular Contributor

What show?.................... series,
What time?.............doesnt matter
What channel?...............many channels
Was this recorded on a DVR?...................yes
Which box are you using? This is important. Is the box a Motorola or Scientific Atlanta?............motorola
Is this intermittent?................no
Was this a live event?............................no
Any additional info you may feel useful

would like to know when this will be fixed and how to not get charged for DVR FEE for every month that isnt fixed?
Recognized Contributor

HA ! You are lucky that you can even tell the difference between a new and repeat TV show.  I live in Howard County Maryland and I have the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR.  The DVR supports recording only new shows and not repeats but Comcast does not have that capability in Howard County and the option to only record new episodes doesn't even show up on my DVR.  This is really pathetic that my DVR records every show not matter if it's a repeat or new show. 
Cable Expert
cypherx

What show? Top Chef

What time? RIGHT NOW!  5-6p

What channel? Ch 67 BRAVO

Was this recorded on a DVR? YES

Which box are you using? This is important. Is the box a Motorola or Scientific Atlanta? Motorola DCH-3416

Is this intermittent? No

Was this a live event? No

Any additional info you may feel useful.

We watched the Season Finale Part 2 of Top Chef last week.  Why is it recording again, we already watched it!

Show Description:

"Season Finale ---Part 2", (2009), The winning chef is revealed in the conclusion of the Season 5 finale, which is set in New Orleans. (Reality). 

Regular Contributor

jossynana wrote:

would like to know when this will be fixed and how to not get charged for DVR FEE for every month that isnt fixed?

I suggest you call 1-800-Comcast and politely explain to them that you expect a credit for this month as your DVR service is not performing properly. They will give it to you. 

I strongly suspect that only when they see repeated income loss will they address this issue. There is no mystery here except why Comcast continues to pretend they intend to change/repair anything. 

Regular Contributor

hey george

please let comcast in on this forum,,it might get fixed then....

Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

jossynana wrote:
hey george

please let comcast in on this forum,,it might get fixed then....

Hi jossy,

Both Comcast, our Vendor and myself have acccess to this thread and the episode description thread. We review everyday for additional updates.

George Lunski
Regular Contributor

Both Comcast, our Vendor and myself have acccess to this thread and the episode description thread. We review everyday for additional updates.

hi george

so do you think we should pay are comcast bill for the HD DVR that doesnt work right and now we know that the company isnt really fixing it????
i spent more time on the set up everyday DELETING programs that i have watched already to go into the next week ,so that this machine doesnt record more shows that i have already watched....

so what is the update???
Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]
I had a recording set up for tmz. It records it 3 times a day. Very anoying and I had to take it off. I'm using a moto box 3416 dvr in the minneapolis market. I have the recording set to fox hd (the show is not broadcast in hd)
Message Edited by Sim-X on 03-16-2009 06:32 AM
Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

Quick Update,

Guide Data Vendor is updating their code that should help resolve some repeat issues. 

George Lunski
Regular Contributor

If it's true - thank you George!

It did appear as if some of the Cold Case epi's were being properly coded with episode descriptions again even for the older, repeats (albeit the wrong episodes - but baby steps here, baby steps). However, looking further out (ie past one week ahead) they seem to still have "This nailbither by Jerry Bruckheimer" in place of any actual episode details.

Will hold off on wild applause but do appreciate your attention and updates to this George. Thank you very much! 

Regular Contributor

well i am still DELETING many REPEAT shows,,,,,this is really getting very old quick.....
Regular Contributor

I have found that in the case of Cold Case the coding of the episode descriptions depends on the channel airing it. In our area if Cold Case reruns are being run on Channel KDKA or an affiliate/HD version - they have complete episode descripts including "new" or "repeat" and the original run year.

If they are run on another channel (TNT? Sorry I can't recall at the moment) but the other affiliate in the area that runs them - they have the generic description. 

HTH! 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
No George

Still recording about 4 times a day recording!!!
Message Edited by jossynana on 03-30-2009 05:34 PM
Contributor

ComcastGeorge wrote:

Please Post any issues when recording with a DVR. Example Given, when recording Oprah and set the series to record “New Only” you are still receiving ‘repeats’. Example Posts should contain the below information. Thank you to everyone who has assisted gathering examples. Please feel free to post any questions or contact me if needed.

1. What show?
  2. What time?
  3. What channel?
  4. Was this recorded on a DVR?
  5. Which box are you using? This is important. Is the box a Motorola or Scientific Atlanta?
  6. Is this intermittent?
  7. Was this a live event?
  8. Any additional info you may feel useful.

1-3 . Show - non-network channels - *any* new show that repeats like The Closer, Saving Grace

4.  Yes, show recorded as a series recording, set to record only "new" episodes.  Show recorded and watched.  Then every new instance of the *same* new episode is recorded after that.

5. Motorola

6. No - happens all the time

7. No.

Visitor

Always happens with United States of Tara and ishappening right now with In Treatment

1. In Treatment - 9pm and 11PM

Recordedon DVR yes

Box is Motorola

Not intermittent with United States or In Treatment

Not a live event

Also happens when Dexter is being show on Showtime,

Also when I choose other than the initial recording of an series recording =, ie. Dexter's first showing is Sunday at 10 but I have a conflict with another recording so I choose the 12AM recording, the DVR tells me that it won't record the 10PM recording.  I choose New only in this scenario and have tried New and REpeats to see if that makes a difference. 

Masterpiece Classic is another program that I had a problem trying to record at a time other than the initial showing.  The initial program time had a conflict with another recording that I had scheduled.  I viewed upcoming times and selected another time that had no conflict and tried to set it up for a series recording.  The DVR complained that it wouldn't be able to record the showing at the first showing ( which I did not request).  It doesn't seem to follow what you're inputting for program time and date - only sees the initial date...

Very frustrating!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
hi

well comcast will never know about this problem for Wareagle seem to think to locked all posts...comcast cant fix a problem if they cant read about it . I think post anything on this thread is a waste of time. sorry wareagle not sure what your purpose with comcast is..no problems are being fixed.. just posts being locked .. please let me know how you might solve this problem with repeating shows DAILY on comcast DVR. not am trying to be rude,,just want the problems to be fixed by comcast,which havent been and i am still paying comcast high fees for a outdated software and machines.
Message Edited by jossynana on 04-08-2009 01:41 PM
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

My purpose is to facilitate problem solutions, in part by funneling similar complaints to threads like this that Comcast administrators have created to collect data. 
Regular Contributor

so i see that it really doesnt help to post any problems that comcast customers are having,,,,this problem been going on for months all over the states and still not fixed??very odd.

so why doesnt comcast know about it?
Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

Comcast is aware of the issue, based on the creation of the sticky threads by a Comcast employee.  What I find somewhat annoying is the fact that Comcast can't use its own employees to collect the data...or ask the provider of the information to have their employees collect the data.  It does start to feel like they're just stringing us along.

I should make it clear that I'm not faulting ComcastGeorge.  He's doing what he's asked to do and trying to be helpful.

Message Edited by rardin on 04-09-2009 09:32 AM
Regular Contributor

well maybe the comcast worker that you spoke with knew about but many aleast (5) on the phone plus the tech didnt know everything.

i think it a waste of time .... i think comcast need a big update or alot of folks will be leaving them!

they arent the best that for sure
Recognized Contributor

I understand your frustration.  The problem frustrates me, as well.  But you're still here, aren't you? :smileyconfused:  Whether or not Comcast resolves this issue in a meaningful way, I doubt that they're at risk of losing many customers.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
i do think that comcast will lose alot of customers for the way that they handle problems with dvr,ect...
customers do not want to pay high fees for something that doesnt work right..there are many more companies out there that do care and also fix the problems fast....

i plan i will not to stay with comcast for these issues that seem not to be taken care of.
i am very tired of deleting programs that i have already watched!
also my dvr deletes shows i want to watch later and its not even full,,about (12 %)
you call comcast and all the techs want to do and PING you dvr...which doesnt solved anything except erasing all you pre plan shows...

i have had dish and directv before comcast and i do think i will be going back to one of these,,it might be a contract but at least the dvrs work right and are update as in comcast dvr 's are the oldest type you can find.... and dont work
i had dish last time and i only left them for the sake of the big help with komo/ dish ...i payed for my local channels i didnt get so i left point blank...so yes i do think comcast is losing alot of customers.. the Dish companies are got some great deals and if you dont care and sign up for 18 months its pretty good.
i really think directv is better then Dish,,,plus you can watch channel 4 with them....

i just want to have what i am paying for !

you ask if i am still here Yes but if comcast cant find out how to Fix they problems well you know that answer....
Message Edited by jossynana on 04-10-2009 04:28 PM
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

It's extremely frustrating when you don't have a program description. I've gotten to the point where I look on a networks website each day to find out what a show will be about, and if it's new or a rerun.

It's a pain to have to write down show titles and times then set them up for the DVR to record.

My daughter used to live in Virginia. Her cable company was Cox. She would call me every day and ask me to look on my Comcast program guide and give her program descriptions. Cox didn't have them-what they did have was what we as Comcast customers are now seeing.

At the time I thought we were very fortunate to have those descriptions.

Another thing that bugs me-a show during primetime might have a description. Right now I'm focusing on networks that repeat the shows. TLC, A&E, History Channel, HGTV, Tru TV, etc.

The repeat shows may not have a description. If one could be provided for the first time it's shown, surely it can be provided for the airing a few hours later.

I also am frustrated with how this issue is being handled. There has been more than enough time to get it resolved.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Regular Contributor

I'm frustrated by this situation, too. 

Tivo avoids it by keeping track of programs you've recorded in the past.  It then does not automatically record them again.

I have no idea just how Comcast approaches this, but they appear to rely solely on the guide.  If a show is pegged "new" in the guide, it gets recorded as many times as it's shown.  The Comcast method isn't as good, but as someone pointed out - the Tivo method may be copywrited (or whatever proprietary method is used for things like this.)  Or it could be that the Comcast DVRs don't have enough memory onboard to do Tivo-like tracking.

The problem with the guide system is that it's going to get worse over time.  Sponsors have been pushing for a long time to totally eliminate "new" or "repeat" appearing in guides.  They don't want us to avoid watching their commercials just because we've seen the TV episode before!

Hopefully Comcast (or whoever programs the boxes) will work out a way to keep from automatically recording episoded that have been previously recorded.

Regular Contributor

Queen-Evie wrote:

It's extremely frustrating when you don't have a program description. I've gotten to the point where I look on a networks website each day to find out what a show will be about, and if it's new or a rerun.

It's a pain to have to write down show titles and times then set them up for the DVR to record.

My daughter used to live in Virginia. Her cable company was Cox. She would call me every day and ask me to look on my Comcast program guide and give her program descriptions. Cox didn't have them-what they did have was what we as Comcast customers are now seeing.

At the time I thought we were very fortunate to have those descriptions.

Another thing that bugs me-a show during primetime might have a description. Right now I'm focusing on networks that repeat the shows. TLC, A&E, History Channel, HGTV, Tru TV, etc.

The repeat shows may not have a description. If one could be provided for the first time it's shown, surely it can be provided for the airing a few hours later.

I also am frustrated with how this issue is being handled. There has been more than enough time to get it resolved.

There's another stickied thread about the episode descriptions problem.

This has been going on for about 6 months. I've just about given on on Comcast. I don't think they really care about this problem. I think they're hoping that if they drag their feet on resolving it it will go away -- that people will just stop complaining about it. It is obvious to me they are devoting very, very few resources to resolving it. I get the impression they have at most a single newly hired fresh out of college kid devoting a couple of hours a week to it.

I'm looking into Tivo. The upfront cost to buy the DVR is steep, but the monthly costs are comparable. They provide full episode descriptions and it's a vastly superior product overall in many ways.

This issue and the way it has been handled has left a very bad taste in my mouth regarding Comcast and it won't go away anytime soon. They've been deliberately stonewalling on this. They've been stringing customers along and giving them the run around.  At one time I had good things to say about Comcast. Not any more. If anyone asks my opinion of Comcast the first thing out of my mouth will not be good. And the thing is, they apparently don't care.

Regular Contributor

mnllnm wrote:

There's another stickied thread about the episode descriptions problem.

This has been going on for about 6 months. I've just about given on on Comcast. I don't think they really care about this problem. I think they're hoping that if they drag their feet on resolving it it will go away -- that people will just stop complaining about it. It is obvious to me they are devoting very, very few resources to resolving it.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Exactly. 

The very fact that they pretend that "Episode Descriptions" is a separate issue is part of the problem. Even a layperson can clearly ascertain that it is the Episode Descriptions (more like Series Synopsis - and very generic at best) that is causing the issue. 

I have every belief that they have done a cost-benefit-analysis and think that most of us will kick and scream and say we're leaving them but we won't - at least not in droves and certainly not enough so that they will "lose" more than they are gaining right now. 

Keep calling 1-800-Comcast and politely requesting your DVR credit. I suspect hitting them in the billing statement is the only way to get their attention, short of everyone switching to Tivo or Dish - which is unlikely to happen. 

Already I suspect that many of us have just learned to 'work around it' and that Comcast is, in fact, winning. 

Recognized Contributor

writermom1 wrote: 

I have every belief that they have done a cost-benefit-analysis and think that most of us will kick and scream and say we're leaving them but we won't - at least not in droves and certainly not enough so that they will "lose" more than they are gaining right now. 

Keep calling 1-800-Comcast and politely requesting your DVR credit. I suspect hitting them in the billing statement is the only way to get their attention, short of everyone switching to Tivo or Dish - which is unlikely to happen. 

Already I suspect that many of us have just learned to 'work around it' and that Comcast is, in fact, winning. 

Unfortunately, I think you're probably right.  Even if what is probably a small number of complainers were to terminate their Comcast service, it's not going to dent their revenue.

What continues to puzzle me, though, is the fact that Comcast is somewhat of a victim in this, too.  They're actually paying a third party for the faulty data.  QE's claims about Cox aside, we know that good data is available, based on Comcast's own myTV listings and other sources.  I'm sure there would be technical hurdles to switching providers of guide data, but why not threaten to do so unless the current provider can't get it right?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
hi

i am on the phone with comcast right now a tech says NOTHING is wrong with the dvr data???and refuses to adjust my bill for the dvr fee??? he NEVER heard of this problem with the software data at all....

Well this take the cake!!!

i asked to speak with a super,,,,after waiting 10 minutes on the line she came on...i told her about the problem she said she knew about (thats good someone know in comcast) but she asked if the dvr records ?? i said yes and then she said well i cant adjust your bill for the sake that the machine is WORKING in as recording!!!!and she sorry that i have to keeping deleting added programs and but the machine still work fine!!!
og my Gosh....i am really think that comcast is a low-life company and is sucking us all dry....with the broken outdated machines that this comcast knows about!!!

i am going to check out Directv,,it might be a bit more but aleast the machine work 100% ....
Message Edited by jossynana on 04-14-2009 12:20 PM
Message Edited by jossynana on 04-14-2009 07:29 PM
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

jossynana wrote:
i asked to speak with a super,,,,after waiting 10 minutes on the line she came on...i told her about the problem she said she knew about (thats good someone know in comcast) but she asked if the dvr records ?? i said yes and then she said well i cant adjust your bill for the sake that the machine is WORKING in as recording!!!!and she sorry that i have to keeping deleting added programs and but the machine still work fine!!!

You mean you actually expect to have an accurate and reasonably complete program guide to use with your Comcast DVR? LOL

You mean you actually expect to get a program guide that tells you specifically what a particular episode is about and that it's not a rerun? LOL

You mean you actually expect to have a "My Recordings" list on your DVR that has descriptions for each recording that tells you that one episode/recording of the same program is different from another? LOL

You mean you expect your Comcast DVR to be significantly functionally better than a VCR or DVD recorder? LOL

And you're complaining to Comcast about this? LOL.

And so what if we provided all of this six months ago and now we don't and have also increased your monthly DVR fee. Quit complaining and asking for a credit on your bill, be happy with what you've got, and cough up that monthly fee. And if you don't like what we gave you, tough. Go get Tivo or Direct TV and see if we care.</sarc>

Message Edited by mnllnm on 04-15-2009 06:54 AM
Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

Hello Everyone,

I have some good news to report :smileyhappy:

I am continuing to work with our vendor and our leadership here to resolve these repeats.

I have two updates.

• Comcast will be fine tuning our DVR firmware later this year. This should dramatically reduce repeats.
  • Our Guide Vendor is continuing to improve their code and work to correct any examples we are providing.

Please continue to provide examples, so we may correct those shows ASAP.

If you have any questions, please let me know. 

George Lunski
Recognized Contributor

has TMZ been fixed yet? I had to take it off cause it will record 3 shows a day. It's on my local fox affiliate in Minneapolis.
Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

I didnt realize that this problem has been going on for years and still no fix comacast.  It doesnst matter what show it is what channel or what time.  If the guide does not say if the show is a repeat or new the dvr will record it because it doesnt know.  the problem here is with the guide.

Contributor

I see that this thread has died, but I'm sad to report that nothing has improved. I've just moved from DirecTV to Comcast and I'm afraid that I've regretted every minute. This DVR is the worst.

I set mine to record Law and Order, the series, in HD. New episodes only. In one 24 hour period, it completely filled the disk (which is tiny by the way compared to the DirecTV box) with shows from the late 90's and early 00's. Obviously the DVR software is very primitive.  It's parsing "repeat" in the meta data and when it doesn't find it, assumes it's found a new episode. Considering the length of this thread and no improvement, I can only assume that Comcast can't get it together to solve it.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

jaybeaux wrote:

I see that this thread has died...

The thread is still very much alive, and available to collect examples such as yours.  

Frequent Visitor

My DVR has suddenly gone stupid (or stupider).  It is set to record only new episodes of Law & Order:CI, What Not To Wear, The Daily Show, and Mythbusters and as of yesterday it is going to record every single broadcast of those shows.  I'm developing carpel tunnel due to setting them all to not record.  What really get's annoying is when two of the shows are set to record at the same time and I want to delete both of them, but the software keeps flipping back and forth between the two and setting the opposite to record.  Grrr!!!!
Regular Problem Solver

brycebolt wrote: 
What really get's annoying is when two of the shows are set to record at the same time and I want to delete both of them, but the software keeps flipping back and forth between the two and setting the opposite to record.  Grrr!!!!

That's a bug.  No fix in sight.

New Visitor

Having the same problem - DVR is recording repeats of shows that I've set to record only new episode of. The guide data does not label these episodes as "Repeat" even though they are years old. Some common offenders are Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Mythbusters, and Monk. Please fix. This is getting ridiculous. My DVR recorded 9 episode of L&O: CI last night which filled up my DVR, deleting some other programs I hadn't watched yet.
Contributor

Mine is doing the same thing. It is very annoying, just started a couple of days ago.  Is there anyway to fix it?  Or is there anything Comcast is doing to fix it?
Contributor

You'll notice that this thread started long ago and there hasn't been any real progress against the issue. It's a poorly designed product and given the conversation I've had with Comcast today, I'd bet there's no resolution this year. I'm looking into a Tivo or a Moxi, or reverting to DirecTV at this point. It's just too much work to keep up with deleting shows recorded in error.
Frequent Visitor

All of sudden this weekend, my DVR got slammed with repeats building up. Culprits: Mythbusters; No Reservations; How It's Made; and many more cable shows. These are titles that I've never had a problem in the past with new vs. repeat.  They are even episodes that have previously shown "repeat" in the description but now do not.  They still have the year of production, which is years in the past, but I don't think that makes a difference to the DVR.

Help, I'm drowning in Mythbusters!

Regular Visitor

This has started to happen to me in the last few weeks.  Every episode of every series recording -- even those with complete episode descriptions that do not say "new" -- has been saved.  This is seriously irritating.

Motorola box, multiple channels, multiple shows at multiple times.

--Michael