Recognized Contributor

Re: DVR Repeat Stickie (Updated 07/15/09)

andyross wrote:

rardin wrote:
I noticed last night that at least one program for which I've set up a series recording (House Hunters International) now seems to have proper Repeat flags.  As others have noted, however, this had no automatic impact on what the DVR was planning to record.  I'll have to try some of the tricks to shake things up this weekend to see if my DVR will honor the Repeat flags.

Unfortunately, there appears to be another bug. It seems as if a series program is set to record because it had no flag, it will not automatically clear if a REPEAT flag is then added. Yesterday, I had to go through the priority list and do the 'new and repeat' and back to 'new only' for several shows.

I went through the same process for all of my series over the weekend and, thankfully, things are more or less back to normal.  There are still a handful of repeat episodes that are set to record because the guide data for them is generic.  Other episodes of the same shows have full info.  The problematic episodes are all set to air close to two weeks from now, so maybe the guide info for them will be fleshed out before the shows actually air and the DVR will skip recording them once it has better data.

Regular Contributor

Re: DVR Repeat Stickie (Updated 07/30/09)

Very interesting. I happened to notice this post. I reported this problem more than once more than a  year ago. If you want to delete to upcoming recordings at the same time, the first one works, then they "toggle", so you can't do both.

Note that this only happens with the Comcast (TV Guide) software. I switched to the Tivo software and this doesn't happen - actually a lot of problems that happened with the TVG software don't happen.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

nalaniplow wrote:

...If you want to delete t(w)o upcoming recordings at the same time, the first one works, then they "toggle", so you can't do both.

This is a known bug (whack-a-mole) with the Motorola DVR s/w.

Cable Expert
cypherx

When web based DVR programming goes live, I am hoping that it will let me cancel two series recordings without running into Wack-a-mole.

I will give it a shot once things are up and running.  I'll be able to use the mydvr site during my daily routine, similar to checking e-mail.  Since every day there are repeats to delete, it will be nice to just add it as a favorite and do it while checking mail. 

Regular Contributor

I am almost afraid to jinx it but at least here in NE Ohio it appears that things are working much better. I'm back to only the new episodes of Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, etc. It appears that the magic words "new" and "repeat" have returned to the guide.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

If this is still being monitored at all, I just wanted to pass along that I'm having this issue recently with episodes of Penn & Teller's Bulls**t on Showtime HD. Specifically, even though the new ones air Thursday (and were marked with the "new" tag in the description), it tried to record it twice last night. As is common, the episodes last night had only the description, no "new" or "repeat" tag at all. When the box is only 120GB and it starts recording HD programming numerous times, that becomes a big problem.

Sorry, almost forgot, this is a Motorola box (specifically DCT6412 Phase III).

Message Edited by opus20745 on 08-24-2009 10:28 AM
Regular Contributor

The Soup on E! and Hung and True Blood on HBO always record every rerun every week.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Agreed, forgot to mention these. Likewise for Entorouge.

Again, with a box that can only record about 12 hours of HD (if you were ONLY recording HD material), having it randomly record hours of HD throughout the week is a MAJOR issue. Especially when a lot of areas start getting the 30-40 new HD channels coming soon (~mid October here in Anne Arundel County, MD), I can see boxes filling up becoming a big problem unless they can take care of this darn issue once and for all.

Message Edited by opus20745 on 08-24-2009 11:08 AM
Regular Contributor

Well, I am back with Comcast after being with DirecTV for a long time.  I wanted to post my experience with the horrible DVRs from Comcast.  Like many others, I will have multiple recordings of the same episode even though it would be on NEW episodes only.  There are some shows that I like to watch again.  I like to have those on New and repeats....not all with duplicates.  DirecTV dvrs would not record an episode again...even though it may have already been deleted for at least another month or so.  It seems to remember...the Comcast boxes don't at all.  There is a serious problem with the software.  I have one SD DVR and the new DCX model I think it was 3400 black box HD DVR.  They both do the same thing.  Here what these boxes should be doing.  If you want NEW episodes only, then it should NEVER at all record any repeats.  If you want NEW/Repeats, then it should always record new and wait about a month before it records a repeat of that new episode again.  It shouldn't be that hard, DirecTV boxes do it just fine.  If you want all with duplicates...then that what you should get at that point....not with the other settings.  I also believe that the episode info system should be updated too.  Too many times it doesn't have non-generic episode information.
Recognized Contributor

The trouble is, we're dealing with multiple problems.  Obviously the DVR software is buggy, but the guide data is lousy, as well.  For whatever reason, Comcast still hasn't seen fit to terminate the contract with its current guide info provider.  And Comcast has seemingly been unable to throw its substantial weight around in order to force the guide info provider to clean up its act.

Regular Visitor

Just an update.  The problem has seem to have been resolved here in Pittsburgh (knock on wood), at least the channels that I'm looking at.

--Michael

Contributor

What kills me is that Comcast puts out all of these "super duper deals" for everyone to switch and then when they do and sign the contract they sit back and know that no matter how terribly the entire system - DVR and cable - performs it is "too bad so sad" for us. Comcast is a HUGE company and not one person can figure out how to make the DVR not be so stupid? My camera is smarter than that thing. What a rip off. I am counting the days until I can tell them they can have their service back. How sad it is that a big company pulls this stuff.
Regular Visitor

I really miss Tivo.  I bought an HD TV finally, but didn't want to spend the money on an HD Tivo, so went with the Comcast HD DVR.  I called Comcast because I thought it was something wrong with my specific DVR that I had this series recording problem.  They thought so too, so they sent a tech out to replace it.  I have the same problem, so I went searching online & found this post.  Apparently, they don't read their own forum?

1. Every series that I have on multiple channels:  Being Human, True Blood, Closer, Entourage, Hawthorne, HGTV shows...  

2. All times

3. Any channel I've set a recording for so far - BBC, HBO, TNT, Bravo,...

4. Yes

5. Motorola

6. No

7. No

8. I have one series recording set, Dark Blue, that for some reason, it won't ever record ANY episodes even though there's no conflict, and they're new.

Frequent Visitor

O'Reilly Factor - Fox News Channel

Set to record "New Episodes Only" but records every showing including the 8pm broadcast and the repeat showings at 11pm and 5am (the guide even labels the 8pm show as "new" and the 11pm and 5am shows as "repeat" but the DVR ignores this).

This is Motorola equipment.

Contributor

The one that's annoying me to no end now is Talk Soup on E!. It's setting itself to record EVERY episode of it, even when it says "REPEAT" as the first f'ing line of the description. Look, I can understand how when there's no "REPEAT" or "NEW" in the description that that would automatically default to "NEW" and be recorded (I don't agree with this behavior, but at least there's some logic there). But, when it's CLEARLY marked as a repeat, come on guys, what the heck is going on??
Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

smr and opus, i have provided your examples to our vendor to investigate the issue.
George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok, new problem to throw into the mix. Every day I have to go into my scheduled recordings and manually cancel recordings of repeats because of the issue we've been talking about for this whole thread. (for the record, I'm also having the same issue smr and opus described.) Some repeats are at a higher priority than new episodes, so I need to un-skip those as well. As more and more of my shows come back to start the new season, I'm noticing more that my settings aren't staying as I set them. What I mean is, even though I go into my scheduled recordings and cancel a recording, I'll look again an hour later and see that the settings reverted back to before I changed them.

This whole situation is really frustrating. It makes the dvr completely unreliable. Not only is my dvr recording more than it's supposed to, it's missing recordings that I want! What use is a dvr that won't record the right stuff?

Also, I understand that A-28 will have a recording history feature to prevent recording shows we already recorded. What about shows we watch live?

Message Edited by ChewyCashew84 on 09-22-2009 01:08 PM
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

ChewyCashew84 wrote:

I understand that A-28 will have a recording history feature to prevent recording shows we already recorded. What about shows we watch live?

The DVR has no way of knowing whether you watched a show, even if it was tuned to it at the time.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
Should we still be giving you examples of repeats? We haven't really had an update in a while and I'm sort of curious as to what the status of a fix is (Unless the fix is a-28, but we haven't gotten that in Chicago yet). If we do take the time to continue to give examples, will it really actually help? I'm looking at 5 repeat recordings scheduled for tomorrow right now.
Message Edited by ChewyCashew84 on 09-27-2009 12:19 AM
Regular Contributor

I just can't wait for A-28 with the history feature.  It should've been there to begin with.  All DVRs that I have experienced have some kind of feature similar to the 28 day rule that TiVo uses.  DirecTV's DVRs and DISH's DVRs and of course TiVo have a "memory" of what was already recorded so it doesn't record that episode again until the window has passed or you have "all with duplicates" selected.  Comcast DVRs seem to be the only one that ignores this "window".
Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

Hello Everyone,

I apologize for the delay in posts.

We are starting to slowly roll out the A.28 Guide. Our second market should receive it later this month. This should resolve this issue.

As for examples, one offs will continue to happen. Please feel free to post them or email them directly to me at the email address below.

Thank you.

George Lunski
Regular Contributor

Lol, George, throw us a bone.  Is the market selection secret?  What is the second market?  Where is the Seattle Metro area market on this list?
Recognized Contributor

Did I miss info on the identity of the first market to receive A.28?  Was the rollout smooth and is the new guide software working as well in the wild as you'd hoped it would, George?
Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

hello rar and back :smileyhappy:

first market was early summer, chattanooga. working beautifully there. i have personally spoken to the market and cable vp leadership of chattanooga. no issues. the delay in the rollout is that each market does need to make some significant upgrades to make the switch.

the second market is in pa. stage college area.

i am too eagerly awaiting in philly :smileysad:

George Lunski
Cable Expert
cypherx

State college, cool.  That's in the Central PA market.  Hopefully we'll be included too.  I know for awhile they were going to move the State College DAC down to York and do some load balancing.  The York-1 DAC does all of Central PA BUT State College.  Not sure if they've ever completed that yet or not.
Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Stargate Universe on SyFy is being a problem. The initial Friday night episode is tagged as NEW, but the rest are untagged, causing constant attempts to re-record.
Contributor

Where can we see the roll out plan?
Recognized Contributor

ComcastGeorge wrote:

first market was early summer, chattanooga. working beautifully there. i have personally spoken to the market and cable vp leadership of chattanooga. no issues...

That's very good news, indeed, George.  Thanks.

Recognized Contributor

ComcastGeorge wrote:
...aprox mid july 2009 there was a major guide data issue that cause almost all of the data to be corrupted that was sent to comcast. this caused the explosion of repeats that everyone has experienced...

George, is there any chance that this problem has cropped up again?  It appeared last night that lots of series repeats were once again being flagged for recording by my Moto DVR.  I will try to find some time tonight to document further.  I think at least 3-4 shows on the Travel Channel and BBC America were among the problematic series.

Recognized Contributor

It's possible that the problem has been corrected for at least one
show, but the following are still problematic as of this afternoon:

10-16-09
BBC America: Don't Tell the Bride @11 AM, 12 PM, 1 PM, 2 PM, 3 PM, 4 PM

10-17-09
Travel Channel: Passport to Great Weekends @1 PM, 4 PM

10-28-09
Bravo: Top Chef @2 AM, 11 AM, 12 PM, 1 PM, 2 PM, 3 PM, 4 PM, 5 PM, 6 PM, 7 PM, 8 PM, 9 PM, 10 PM, 11 PM, 12 AM

Maybe
these issues will be corrected before the shows actually air and are
recorded by the DVR, but it's been weeks since I've seen this many
repeats marked for recording.
Recognized Contributor

DVR Series Question

I have my DVR setup to record certain series' of "new shows only". It'll record on whatever day the series comes on, I'll watch and then delete it. However, certain networks will reair the show again during the week. Why does my DVR think it needs to record the show each time it airs? Are the networks calling the shows new, when they're technically a repeat by then?

It's a bit annoying, but livable. 

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Re: DVR Series Question

If it's untagged (not 'repeat', 'new' or 'live'), it's assumed to be new.
Recognized Contributor

who is responsible for the tagging? The Networks or Comcast?
Regular Contributor

MrDubbs wrote:

I have my DVR setup to record certain series' of "new shows only". It'll record on whatever day the series comes on, I'll watch and then delete it. However, certain networks will reair the show again during the week. Why does my DVR think it needs to record the show each time it airs? Are the networks calling the shows new, when they're technically a repeat by then?

It's a bit annoying, but livable. 

I think they do consider a program "new" these days until the next "new" episode repeats it.

Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

Re: DVR Repeat Stickie (Updated 11/20/09)

*** UPDATED 11/20/09 ***
We are starting to roll out A.28 Guide in many markets. In these markets we have had no reports of any further repeat issues. We will continue to monitor closely. Please continue to post any issues. 
George Lunski
Contributor

Thanks for the update George ... all I can say is IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!

Not yelling at you personally, but just expressing what hopefully will be the last frustration with this issue, assuming the rollout eventually comes to my area and the issues truly have been fixed.  I still have continual issues with repeats of Dexter on Showtime as well as many SyFy show repeat recordings.

Isn't there any way that a list can be posted as well as updated to show which market areas Comcast serves, & when this A.28 guide is scheduled for roll out for those markets. I am in the Sellersville, PA area, and I really want to know when our market will get this duly deserved and longly awaited update! Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Care to share what markets these are????
Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

Darkonus wrote: 

Thanks for the update George ... all I can say is IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!

Not yelling at you personally, but just expressing what hopefully will be the last frustration with this issue, assuming the rollout eventually comes to my area and the issues truly have been fixed.  I still have continual issues with repeats of Dexter on Showtime as well as many SyFy show repeat recordings.

Isn't there any way that a list can be posted as well as updated to show which market areas Comcast serves, & when this A.28 guide is scheduled for roll out for those markets. I am in the Sellersville, PA area, and I really want to know when our market will get this duly deserved and longly awaited update! Thanks.

no problem. i agree. 
as for a timeline. i dont have one to release. each market has to make several upgrades first. dont be discouraged, we are moving quicker then anticipated.
as for dexter and syfy. i love them both! i am not having any issues with dexter or sg. although lately vod as been stepped up watching both on vod.

George Lunski
Regular Contributor
Tario70

1. What show? Mythbusters
  2. What time?  21:00
  3. What channel? 938
  4. Was this recorded on a DVR?  Yes
  5. Which box are you using? This is important. Is the box a Motorola or Scientific Atlanta? Motorola
  6. Is this intermittent? No, It Seems to happen every week.
  7. Was this a live event?  No
  8. Any additional info you may feel useful:  Unfortunately this recording bumped the mid-season finale of Glee from recording & I am NOT happy about this.  I checked the DVR around 19:00 after the New Mythbusters episode had finished recording (running 18:00-19:00), only Glee & Men of a Certain Age were set to record at 21:00.  Because I manually set Men to record & Mythbusters is above Glee, it seems that some time between 19:00 & 21:00, the guide bumped Glee for Mythbusters.  This is truly aggrevating George.
  9. One more thing:  George, if it is at all possible, please update us with the markets that are being updated.  I have a strong feeling the Sacramento, CA will be near the bottom of the list & between these DVR issues & my constant internet problems that have had at least 3 technicians out to fix, yet can't find anything wrong, I'm really considering leaving Comcast.  I'd hate to do it, but right now, as a customer I am definitely unsatisfied.

Thanks for your help George.  Sorry about the rant at the end, but I'm becoming more & more frustrated with Comcast & I'm nearing the end of my rope at this point.

~Tario70

Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

thank you tario.

i will notify our guide vendor.

we should see a dvr software update in q1' '10 that will resolve this for you. 

George Lunski
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, a few days ago our DVR finally came up with a message that a guide update was being done on 12/15/09 (Sellersville, PA area) and that a reset of parental controls on each channel, DVR recordings and favorites on up to 25 channels will be required! :smileywink:  FINALLY!!!  :rolls eyes:

It also says to see www.comcast.com/guide for the supposedly impacted channels, where they provide a list and this detail:
"Only the channels listed below will be impacted; settings on other channels will not be affected."

So make sure your affected channel is on that list, otherwise you will still be out of luck!

This better do the trick because I'm really starting to get frustrated with the service and pricing with Comcast, and Verizon FIOS is in my area!

Message Edited by Darkonus on 12-10-2009 09:19 AM
Regular Contributor

George, Do you know when we may get it in the jackson michigan area? I have been told all along that it would be sometime the last Q09, Now it is being pushed to the first Q10?

Also I notice today that ALL the Flip this House on channel 110 SCI are marked as "NEW" even though the air dates are from "2007 and 2008"(?) I have been quite patient waiting for this upgrade this year because I was offered DVR "FREE" untill it got fixed, So I will be calling next month after that expires for the simple fact that it will not be. I refuse to pay for half baked services! 

Regular Contributor
Tario70

George,

Thanks for the quick response.  I look forward to next year then!  I remember reading somewhere that this guide update will also allow remote DVR scheduling like say through the comcast iPhone app.  Any truth to this?

Thanks Again George.  Again sorry for the rant at the information as I was really frustrated & had to resort to other means to watch my missed episode.

~Tario70

Regular Contributor

Sunday 12/13 Dirty Jobs Recording episodes dated 2006 as NEW

A lot of the Judge Judy, Peoples court and Street Court are recording reruns because lack of proper program description, Especially the Judge Judy that airs on Saturdays.

Chopped channel 197 Food network always records all episodes aired.

Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

parker12604 wrote:

George, Do you know when we may get it in the jackson michigan area? I have been told all along that it would be sometime the last Q09, Now it is being pushed to the first Q10?

Also I notice today that ALL the Flip this House on channel 110 SCI are marked as "NEW" even though the air dates are from "2007 and 2008"(?) I have been quite patient waiting for this upgrade this year because I was offered DVR "FREE" untill it got fixed, So I will be calling next month after that expires for the simple fact that it will not be. I refuse to pay for half baked services! 

parker,
i dont have an exact timetable, many markets have changed as we continue to push the new software. we are trying to have everyone completed by the end of q1 '10. 

George Lunski
Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

Tario70 wrote:

George,

Thanks for the quick response.  I look forward to next year then!  I remember reading somewhere that this guide update will also allow remote DVR scheduling like say through the comcast iPhone app.  Any truth to this?

Thanks Again George.  Again sorry for the rant at the information as I was really frustrated & had to resort to other means to watch my missed episode.

~Tario70

dont worry about the rant. i know its frustrating.
yes we are still working on the mydvr access through the iphone app. 

George Lunski
Recognized Contributor

I got an unsolicited phonecall last week from a pleasent woman saying she was from Comcast HQ and had seen my posts here regarding new Guide release schedule.  She said that our area, Southeast NH which has the Boston channels feed, would not get the new software this year.  I should check back around the end of March.  So I surmise that the rollout schedule posted here by Comcast last summer saying the rollout would be complete by year's end has slipped to at least late March 2010, end of Q1 2010, for at least some of us.

Regular Contributor

Well, I'm glad to hear that someone got told when they were getting an update.

This is just testing my patience and its running out.  I am tired of the crappy DVRs.  I wish someone would tell me when my market (Seattle; Puget Sound) is getting it.  I am sick and tired of waiting.  I'm on the verge of just cancelling all of my comcast services.  

Contributor

As this phone call from HQ shows, there IS obviously a listing of some sort with scheduled roll-out dates. What is the big deal with letting people know this then? Why is letting people know when their ongoing DVR repeat problem will be fixed a closely guarded secret? I tend to agree with the previous poster that this problem has almost become a deal breaker for me. If I had SOME idea as to when this was getting fixed, I would be much less inclined to jump ship to FIOS or DirecTV when my contract ends at the end of December.

ComcastGeorge? Any insight here? I'm in Anne Arundel County, MD, FYI.

Regular Contributor

opus20745 wrote:

As this phone call from HQ shows, there IS obviously a listing of some sort with scheduled roll-out dates. What is the big deal with letting people know this then? Why is letting people know when their ongoing DVR repeat problem will be fixed a closely guarded secret? I tend to agree with the previous poster that this problem has almost become a deal breaker for me. If I had SOME idea as to when this was getting fixed, I would be much less inclined to jump ship to FIOS or DirecTV when my contract ends at the end of December.

ComcastGeorge? Any insight here? I'm in Anne Arundel County, MD, FYI.

THANK YOU! =) I've been saying that.