Regular Contributor

DVR Shuts off/Resets itself

I have a DVR that keeps shutting down/resetting itself.  It is happening several times a day now.  I have checked all connections, have moved the power to different outlets, including moving the power strip to a new outlet and the power cord for the dvr to a new outlet on the power strip. 

I've had this DVR for almost 5 years, so maybe it is just broken.  It is a Motorola DCT3412. 

Any ideas what might be the problem?  Thanks

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: DVR Shuts off/Resets itself

It could be overheating, or just a electronic or hard drive failing.

Best to take the DVR and remote to the local Comcast office for an exchange, and bring the remote with.  Hopefully they will have something newer with a larger drive.  Ask if they have any of the new "black" DVR's.

You can also call Comcast support for them to send a tech out with another unit.

New Visitor
joneisele

Hey Jane ... did you get this problem fixed?  I am now having it and have swapped to three different DVR boxes, change the power cable, my own power strip, etc.  Comcast is still shooting in the dark on debugging claiming it can't be anything on their end with reset signals going out.

Visitor

I recently got a HD TV and swapped out my standard cable box for a gray HD DVR, connected to the TV with a HDMI cable. At least once every 30 minutes to an hour the DVR shuts inself off and restarts, losing all the channel information in the process. I returned the DVR and got another gray DVR with exactly the same problem. I have had a gray HD DVR with a black faceplate for a couple of years and have not had any problems with it. I replaced the gray DVR with this DVR with the black faceplate and it seems to be working great so far. In one of the posts it was mentioned to try and get a new black DVR (obviously my gray DVR with a black faceplate is not very new). Is there a problem with the gray DVR's? Thanks.

Frank

Regular Contributor
hyatis

[ Edited ]

maybe ask for a different model

Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion.  However before doing that I thought it would be a good idea to talk to Comcast technical support to see if they could help troubleshoot the problem.

The first person I talked with was not much help (she didn't seem to have much patience answering my questions and explaining what she was doing). She had me plug the DVR directly into the wall plug rather than the surge protector (apparently DVR's don't like surge protectors). She then had me unplug and plug the cable from both the unit and the wall. Finally she sent a command or two to the DVR and pronounced it cured. About 5 minutes after I hung up the phone the DVR reset itself again.

I called Comcast again and got someone who was much more helpful. I found out that the gray DVR is model number DCT 3412, the gray DVR with the black faceplate is model number DCH 3416, and the black DVR has a model number starting with DCX. She said that in her experience the DCH 3416 has been the most robust, the DCT 3412 is the most problematic and the DCX has also had problems (assuming that you can even find one in stock). I asked if it would do any good to have a service tech come to my house and she said that all they would do is change out the DVR with a new one. Because they only have a limited number of DVR's there would be no guarantee that they would have a different model number. Instead she suggested that I go the the Comcast store, which I did. I swapped my POS DCT 3412 for a DCT 3416 (as she predicted, they did not have any DCX DVR's in stock).

I don't understand why more people aren't having the same types of problems with DCT 3412 DVR's but at least in my case this should (hopefully) be my last post on this subject. The DCT 3416 seems to be working great, just like the one I already had.

Frank

New Visitor
57John

My HD DVR (Motorola DCT3416) is doing the same thing. It shuts itself off and resets every 5-20 minutes and then resets itself. Last night I lost the picture and sound... with the tv screen alternating between snow and black. I called Comcast and had to unplug the DVR for 20 seconds. The box came back on afterwards but it is still shutting itself off and resetting itself.

Contributor

@57John

I have the same issue that started last night.---I called tech support and they reset the machine, but it immediately started again. It is probably an issue with their new software.   Now I have to wait several days for a tech to arrive.

New Visitor
GameNutt69

[ Edited ]

SAME HERE! i am on my 2nd DVR box in 3 days, one was old model from 2006, this one is a brand new model (RNG-200) made in 2011! I am sick of this incompetence already, and OBVIOUSLY it isn't the BOXES... but IS IS IS something on COMCAST's end! 4 different Tech Support agents have had NO IDEA wt heck is going on, claiming they have NEVER heard of the problem! Do they READ these forums!? Fix it soon or i am gone by Monday i promise you. :smileyangry: This is inexcusable and absolutely infuriating! Thanks for nothing, and acknowledge that this is your problem and FIX IT! :smileysad:

New Visitor
heckrules

We currently have a Comcast Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC high definition DVR cable box with the same shut-down problems.  We have had our box replaced twice, they claimed it is the power cable, our electrical wiring, and other lame excuses.  The latest box they installed about 45 days ago failed again this morning.  It may be time to give Verizon a call.........:smileyangry:

Contributor

@heckrules-- is verizon fios available in your area?  It is not available to me otherwise I would be calling them.

New Visitor
heckrules

Dontal,  We have Verizon FIOS in our area, I am looking into them, but not yet sure how their prices and service compare w/ comcast.  I currently have 3 cable boxes and only have issues with the DVR box.

Contributor

Well, good luck---these days it seems that dealing with any of these companies is a choice between scylla and charybdis.

Contributor
trevorbirchett

Having the same problem with the Cisco RNG200. It's reset about 5 times today, and I just got it installed at around 11 AM this morning.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

fios is superior and all fiber to the home.  you will still find short cummings with them also though.  no company is perfect. 

New Visitor
rstolz2

I also have the Cisco RNG 200 and just starting this evening it has been shutting down and resetting about once every five minutes or so. It is driving me nuts. I think I will swap out unit at Comcast tomorrow.

Contributor
rlurker

I have a cisco box and this happens every month.  I have found that if I leave the DVR unplugged overnight and then plug it back in, at least I can watch the shows I have recorded - so far.  The last time the tech reformatted the hard drive and I haven't had it happen again.  However, every time Comcast "upgrades" the software, this happens.

They should have some way of copying the programs off the hard drive and put them on the new drive.

BTW, at least in my area, they will not give me a black DVR which I understand does not have the same problems.  They say that it is a multiroom DVR and they are just testing it in our area.

Hope this helps someone. 

Visitor
Heason2493

Anyone successfully resolve this. I have the same problem with a Motorola 3412 that I just got to replace an ailing Motorola 6412. I worked with several Comcasts techs trying to resolve this fir. I swapped out the fist 3412 with another used one. But no luck. The first one just powered itself off every 4-20 minutes. The second one loses it picture first then resets. Tech is coming out on Wednesday. This is pretty frustating. I even ran a power cord across the room to eliminate the power strip as a problem. The net result is I will have no TV in the den until then I guess. Thank gosh for Netflix and Hulu.

New Visitor
rstolz2

I posted about a month ago with my box Cisco DVR shutting off and resetting. I did notice that evening that the box felt very hot. I turned off everything and let it sit overnight without running. Since then I haven't been having the problem. Not sure if others have the same issue but it is worth checking out.

New Visitor
dolea

I find it ridiculous that this link was started in January and there is still no fix from Comcast. 

Returned my Cisco RNG200 box 10 days ago b/c it was rebooting every 5 minutes and giving two error messages "apDL" and "bStr". I read on another forum that those are codes for application updates that have failed to properly install themselves to the DVR box. 

Tech support did the usual....sent two shots through the airstream that were supposed to fix the system when I unplugged/replugged.  Neither helped.  I was forced to exchange the box (and lost all the shows I had recorded, plus all the series recordings I had set up).

Got a supposedly new box, same model.  Seemed to be okay, except that the digital clock never worked.  Today, I unplugged it to see if the clock would start working upon reboot and I'm back to the problem my original box had of automatically rebooting every 5 mins (altho no errors messages this time).  Annoyed!!!

New Visitor
SandraAL

This problem started today for me. After a frustrating "live chat" with a tech, who told me he reset the signal and it was fixed, the DVR powered off within five minutes, I was then told to exchange the DVR.
I will try but after reading these posts I am seriously thinking of switching to FIOs.
New Visitor
tmac215

I just left directv to go back to comcast because i would be saving money.   today is sunday and we got the new dvr box this past friday... We are now going on our 3rd box that keeps rebooting every few mins to and hour and ondemand doesnt work and channels dont load in the guide!! im leaving and going back to directv if the prob isnt resoved tomorrow when a tech comes out.  I am fed up!!

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

--

Sorry about the issues you are having. In a private message can you send me your Comcast account number so that I can research your issue.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

--

Sorry about the inconvenience. Are you still experiencing an issue?

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
Kcharbo

This began happening to my RNG200 this morning.

I contacted Customer Support and went through the standard 'unplug, wait' routine, and it was no help.

It was recommended that I call in a technician (time out of my schedule) or swap out box (much easier). I then asked if I would lose all my programs I have recorded and was put on hold so she could ask a technician. When she came back, she told me she was told that the programs were saved to my account, not to the unit. This sounded wrong to me.

Near as I can tell from further online research, she was most definitely misinformed, so now I'm looking at trying to fit a tech visit into my schedule (and being without cable until then) or swapping out my DVR box and losing all my shows?

And I pay extra every month for this?
Contributor
ajkellyonthebas

I am having the same problem in Miami with a 2 month old Cisco RNG200N.  The box doesn't seem to complete the reboot process.  I swapped the DVR box for the HD box and still had the same issue.  Horrible pixelation on some channels and VOD for two days now.  Internet service from Comcast is not working as well.  This leads me to belive that it is a service issue and not hardware.  I'll bet Comcast pushed out an update and the hardware is not accepting it.  Outside tech should be buy today and an inside tech is scheduled.  This is starting to sound like AT&T

Contributor
ajkellyonthebas

An outage in my area turned out to be the issue.  However, not being told about the outage wasted hours of my life.  My appointment was cancelled via email without explanation.  I telephoned to ask why my appointment was cancelled and was informed about the outage being resolved and therefore the cancellation.  The customer service is horrendous.

New Visitor
thedivinedesign

OMG!!! I ahve had nothing but PROBLEMS ever since Xfinity was introduced & as of about 4 hours ago, MY box is doing the same thing!! I spent 45 minutes on Live Chat & what I think I got was that work is being done on the system, blah, blah, blah. Of course, I couldn't read most of the left screen, because it was cut off. I couldn't get an On Demand program to start....SO, I unplugged the box to reboot it,  and lo & behold, now NOTHING works, & the box has been turning itself on & off every 5 minutes ever since. I chatted with Christian online & he said that I did NOT need a technician! Well then WHAT DO I NEED??? I am in Memphis. Is this a country wide issue or am I in a dead zone??? I unplug my box & it triggers this insanity???

Xfinity is just GREAT-says I have recorded 60 minutes of a show & it ends up being 9 minutes, or 25, or 17, or whatever. Try & FF thru On Demand to catch the last 20 minutes that Xfinity forgot to record. It takes 10 minutes just to get there!!! Try pauses on a particular scene or trying to watch a sports replay. And don't forget having to push Pause TWICW, because it didn't work the first time. Oh, I could go on & on, but my TV cable not working AT ALL!!! I am SO done. The TV in the den no longer works, the one in the kitchen is antiquated, & the brand new Sony 32" in the bedroom is screwed!!

PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE or better yet, PLEASE GO BACK TO THE OLD GUIDE, because it was TEN TIMES BETTER!!!

New Visitor
thedivinedesign

Now I have replaced it with the box from the den & it works, but only shows scheduled programs for the next 3 hours. The rest say "To be Announced" & it will not even let me scroll past the next 3 hours. Meanwhile, my DVR box was 99% full of recorded messages that I will NEVER be able to replace & I am FURIOUS. Christian on Online Chat said that they were having problems with On Demand & that I did not need a technician, but could give me no estimate of when it would be fixed. Obviously, their signal fried my box & now I have lost over 50 hours of recorded programs. And I PAY over $225 a month for this horror show???? I left it unplugged for 16 hours, to no avail. What a joke, plus I get a message stating that I will receive no credit until the problem persists for over 24 hours. Will you give me credit when I CANCEL MY SERVICE???? Xfinity is the WORST thing to have ever happened to cable TV.

New Visitor
thedivinedesign

What is it that unplugging your box now sends it into automatic rebooting every 5 minutes??? So, if the box I replaced it with needs to be rebooted for one of a dozen reasons, like On Demand stops working, or the guide won't load (which is already happening), the ENTIRE box will be screwed AGAIN, if I unplug it!!! I have NO choice, but to go to another cable service, as there is NO SERVICE on Comcast AT ALL!!!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

devine

Please share the last time a tech was out to check the signals levels to the TV outlets.  If you haven't had a tech out we would wonder why not.

Contributor
ajkellyonthebas

Tech checked signal to the house. No problems. This is an issue with the Comcast system. Internet and both boxes work fine as of today. They don't seem to want to acknowledge that there is a problem.
New Visitor
apahminer

This same problem seems to have started on my 3412 dvr last Monday night.  Called comcast and of course they have never heard of this problem.  It has nothing to do with overheating since I was gone and the box off for 5 days straight. Back now and it is still rebooting continuously.  No guide.  No dvr. No confidence that they will fix it when they show up tomorrow.

New Visitor
bdubdub

This happened to me every time they pushed a software update. Every time they pushed a software update they would brick the DVR to do this shut off/reset sequence everyone is describing. After having exchanged boxes 3 times I had enough. I returned the DVR and exchanged it for a CableCard from Comcast which I inserted into a newly bought TiVo and have been happy ever since then. The money Comcast charged me every month to "rent" the horrible DVR almost paid for the Tivo monthly subscription, and TiVo is a much better DVR than what Comcast gave me. You still have to get a cablecard from Comcast, but they're free.

Contributor
ajkellyonthebas

I was checking old posts today because I am having internet issues.  This issue was caused because an update was pushed out.  No notification from Comcast and the techs never admitted this was an issue.  I have internet connectivity issues now.  Comcast just pushed out a speed boost and now no internet.  Same issues.  Tech's won't admit there is a problem.  I see a pattern here.

New Visitor
PatrickBW

Funny, these posts started last year but the problem seem to continue. I have a Comcast DVR, that replaced the prior one. Both current and prior DVRs would reset for some unknown reason at various times during the day. I have lived with this for some months and a technician will be out again to take a look. I would suspect that the DVR will get replaced again. If the problem continues, I am not sure what to do other then go to ATT or another TV provider.

New Visitor
LCDR

I've got the same problem.  I do troubleshooting on computers and so I listened and, yes, smelled the unit and found that the hard drive was "clacking" away.  There was no smell so I doubt its overheating.  I contacted Comcast and they sent a signal to the unit and while it did help it didn't totally fix it.  I have two DVRs and one works great, one doesn't.  

I came to Xfinity from Frontier and their service sucked big time, let's hope Comcast can fix this.

New Visitor
psfrantz

Well, here it is April 2013 and the problem continues.  It's happened to us at least twice and last night during the NCAA National Championship game, our DVR (the gray one with gray face) kept resetting itself every 10-15 minutes.  I would have to kill my recordings that were set up and turn the DVR off for a while before turing it back on.  And the guide was screwed up the entire evening.  We thought it was overheating (because it was pretty warm) but that doesn't make a lot of sense being it's done it in the past, the unit sits in a large opening in the cabinet, and there was no onorous odor. 

If it's true that this is the result of some software update, Comcast has really non-user-friendly timing.  How do you verify that that might have been the issue (where do I look for the update log)?  When I called Comcast customer service, it wasn't helpful...told me to take box and swap it out.  From this blog, it sounds like that's really not the issue at all.

New Visitor
mer824

Have you checked to see if the fans on the box are blocked? My box kept resetting every five minutes during the NHL playoff game tonight and it nearly gave me an aneurysm until I thought to find where the fan was. Moved the box around so that the fan, which is on the bottom, is completely unobstructed (i.e. I now have it hanging off the edge of the tv table), and haven't had an issue with it since. Not sure why it suddenly started having this problem considering I haven't moved it at all since set-up, but oh well, seems to be okay now.

New Visitor
psfrantz

Funny you are doing that because my husband figured out the same thing and ours is presently hanging out the front of our cabinet, also. We've had our DVR for over a year and this just started in March. While hanging it out seems to be the workaround, it's not acceptable. Hoping a new DVR might be designed better.
New Visitor
Setember

This is so frustrating. Again this morning.....ten minutes and my box has gone out five times already.c worked fine the first two weeks and now this. ARGH
New Visitor
DJDoug2

June 8 2013

I see that everybody has trouble with reset DVR from comcast. I do has been about a month or so since it started. they told me they could mail me one or I could go to the comcast outlet. I see this issue will most likely happen with the next dvr I get. "NOT HAPPY THAT I WILL LOSE FAMILY NEWS FOOTAGE FROM OUR LOCAL NEWS" I don't want to lose those recordings the movies and tv stuff ok but not the family memories. Can't comcast retrieve these and give them to me????/

I don't want to spend time goign to get another DVR that doesnt work. I feel like ripping this one open and taking the HD out. you would think they would have repaired this the issue already.

signed

ticked of in Elverta Ca 

New Visitor
DJDoug2

I just put it back in and I blocked it up so the cooling fan is getting more air. this all started happening when our area went into triple diget weather!  We will see what happens and return and report.

PS comcast support sucks. Customer service is my business and they suck at it 

signed Ticked Off in Elverta

New Visitor

Just to add my personal experience with the constant rebooting of the Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC I, too, have been affected.  I'm not a raving & ranting fanatic (although at times I'd like to be).  I have a mechanical & computer background so I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, either.

We have 2 of the DVR boxes and they both have worked just fine for the past 4 years.  However, about a month ago the one unit started the constant rebooting & losing the guide.  Sometimes the rebooting would stop for a few hours and sometimes it would constantly reboot within a couple of minutes of the last reboot.  I tried all the processes that the tech line usually provides...unplug it, wait a few minutes, plug it back in, check the input & output cables.  I finally returned it to the local office for a used unit.  It was visibly beat up slightly and w/o the little rubber feet on the bottom so badly needed for proper cooling.  It also was a model 8300HD, w/o the C like the original unit.  Got the new one home, hooked it up and was good to go...so I thought.  We noticed that on recordings it was skipping large chunks of time from the recorded shows.  And not just one recording...every recording.  Took that unit back and received another 8300HD used unit.  So far after several weeks, it appears to be working OK.  However, this unit also is missing some of the rubber feet off the bottom.  These feet are not just there to keep the unit from scratching it's resting surface...it provides air under the unit for cooling.  The refurbishment department needs to up their quality a bit, IMHO.  

On to the 2nd unit.  Within a week of the 1st unit starting it's constant rebooting and losing the guide, the 2nd unit started rebooting and was very hot to the touch.  When I got time to look at it the next day, the unit was cool and seemed to work just fine.  A couple of days later the front screen of the unit had lost the time output and had to unplug & replug the unit to get it working again.  Now it's started the constant rebooting and losing the guide.  Not sure what I'm going to do with it.

Going to a TiVo unit is starting to sound attractive.  If FIOS were available, so would it.  Obviously, something is going on with Comcast's product and for the most part, it's not the consumers' bad cable signal, surge protector bar, closed-in entertainment center, etc.   Something else is going on for as many people having the same problem nationwide with several different brands of DVRs.

I hope Comcast wakes up and smells the coffee before they find all their customers have left the building.

New Visitor
Moovemkr

[ Edited ]

I have had problems as long as I have had Comcast cable. This is 18 years. Unfortunately it is my only option as I live in a older highrise in downtown Atlanta and the building has a contract with Comcast.

Basically I am under the thumb of a monopoly.
I have had techs out over and over through the years and all they can tell me is that ultimately the problem is that the building needs to be rewired for cable as the cable in the building is probably the original from whenever they invented cable TV.
Comcast says it is not their responsibility and my building says the same thing.

As I write this my cable box has been starting and restarting over and over for two days. I am watching Netflix, thank god for Netflix, until they come to swap out the box.

I already know that all Comcast is going to do is swap out the cable box. I lose all my settings of shows I record and all the current recordings, most of which I will have no way of replacing or ever seeing. It will take me a whole weekend to set up all my recordings again.
After I get a new box it may work for a month, 3 months, 6 months but eventually I will go through all this again, it is a vicious cycle that has become a part of my life.
Keep in mind that even when a box is working it does not work as it should and there are constant issues probably due to the building needing new cable issues.

I have thought of moving just for this one reason, over time it wears you out psychologically and emotionally. You get excited about seeing the Super Bowl but you come home to find your DVR did not record it or you can not wait to watch the Oscars but the box dies with the recording before you can watch it. I am going to miss the PGA Championship this weekend.
I have thought about suing but am not convinced that would be a good use of my money, that I could actually get a settlement.

I am thinking a class-action lawsuit may be the way to go because it would appear that their are issues with the cable boxes nationwide in addition to the general apathy and incompetence from Comcast.

If you are a lawyer interested in taking on a class action please call me at 404-229-5216.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

I had a similar problem. None of the cableboxes or DVR's I got from Comcast would work.They told me all the cableing in my house was bad.

I gave up on comcast equipment and bought 2 Tivos with comcast cablecards.100% fixed.

Expensive solution, but I got my TV and sanity back.

New Visitor
ScarlettZ

I am so glad to find these posts!  We've been having this problem for about a year.  Lately it has been getting more frequent.  It messes up our recordings and is so truly frustrating whle trying to watch anything.  We always miss parts of the things we want to watch because it freezes up and then reboots.  When it returns, the guide is gone and the DVR is unavailable. It seems to take longer and longer to get back to working. Comcast never seeems to think the problem is with the DVR, but it has to be.

New Visitor
ironkittenz

November 2013 and my Motorola DCT3416 is doing the same thing and now no audio.  No tv for a week and probably another until I can get a tech in on a Saturday (my ONLY day off).

My money is all paid in full.....

New Visitor

Re: DVR Shuts off/Resets itself - UPDATE

Previously posted about the SA 8300 HD/C units constantly rebooting and losing the guide back in August.  I found a post in my Internet searching of a solution that recommended re-formatting the hard drive thru a certain set of remote button selections.  I figured that if I was going to lose all my recorded stuff anyhow, why not try the reformat and at least keep the new-to-me machine instead of someone else's junk that got a coat of paint.  It has been a couple of months and it's worked flawlessly for me. Some other posts said that it helped their particular boxes but isn't always a cure all...that is...sometimes the rebooting or other problems would return but not as frequent as before the reformat.

I believe the following is the procedure for reformatting the hard drive on the 8300:

While your receiver is on, press and hold the Pause button on your remote until the mail light starts blinking. This can take up to 10 seconds or so. While the light is blinking, press the Page Down button on your remote. Then, press the List or My DVR button on your remote 3 times. The LED on your box should now read something like "HDDF". Then just let 'er rip. It will eventually reboot your box. Keep in mind that you will not only lose recordings on your box, but you will also lose any scheduled recordings.

Hope that helps someone.  I was quite frustrated and although I did not like losing all my recorded stuff, it saved me a trip to Comcast and the hassle of replacing the unit with something unknown.  One last point...the hard drives were nowhere near capacity when the rebooting started.  Good luck.