Contributor

DVR does NOT Stop Recording

Occasionally I have a program set to record.  It records, but when it's over, the DVR continues recording until I manually shut it off.  This is annoying, but only became a problem last week when I was on vacation.  This happened and the recording went for 19 hours and wiped out some of my saved programs. I don't know if 19 hours is the limit on a recording or if that's when my hard drive filled up.

It only happens under a certain set of circumstances.

1. Series recording set to record new episodes only.

2.  The series is one that repeats the same new episode many times during the week - like The Closer on TNT I think.  It happens on all series that repeat the same new episode.

3.  It only happens when the first instance of the new episode is *not* recorded, but one later on during the day *is.*   This recording never stops on its own.  I've gotten into the habit of looking to see if the box is still recording every morning.  If it is, I manually stop it.

4.  I have the Motorola DVR.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: DVR does NOT Stop Recording

There is such a bug described here.  If this fits your situation, the suggested remedies may help you.
Regular Contributor

WarEagle57 wrote:
There is such a bug described here.  If this fits your situation, the suggested remedies may help you.

That's exactly it.  Thanks!  I'll try bumping up the other recordings to have priority over the one that I want to record later.  I had been manually setting it to not record and then manually setting it to recod later.

Regular Contributor

OK, here's the pertinent part of the link given by WarEagele57:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Remedies: Don't allow the conditions to occur by taking one of the following steps:

• Don't manually set the earlier recording not to record.
  • Place another (series) recording at the earlier time slot and at a higher priority, so it is automatically recorded at the earlier time, while the other program is automatically recorded later.
  • ----------------------------------------------------------------

I see several upcoming occurances where the problem will happen.  The program will not automatically record at the earlier time, because it is a lower priority than the other recordings.  Fine. That's just what is suggested above.

But the problem is that the next instance of the episode several hours later is *not* showwing as set to record automatically - even though it's a series recording and it's a new episode.   I have to set that manually.  Will have to wait and see if it stops recording on its own.  I have an idea that it will not, as this later instance should be shown as an automatic recording.  It isn't. 

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

NEVER manually set a recording on a show that is in your series recording list. Once the blocked time passes, the box will record the next NEW or unmarked program. Basically, if it sees a NEW or unmarked program in the schedule, and there is NO recording on-disk, it will set it to record.

This is also the root of the quirk where it will record it even if you've watched it, but deleted the recording (Tivo keeps a 30 day 'already recorded' list to prevent this, a feature which is probably patented and $$$ to license.)

Regular Contributor

andyross wrote:

NEVER manually set a recording on a show that is in your series recording list. Once the blocked time passes, the box will record the next NEW or unmarked program. Basically, if it sees a NEW or unmarked program in the schedule, and there is NO recording on-disk, it will set it to record.

I have a test set up tonight for this.  Since the second instance didn't show the multi circles, I'd set up manual recordings.  But you're right - the other instances of series *do* record, even when they don't show up on the scheduled recordings list.   

andyross wrote:    

This is also the root of the quirk where it will record it even if you've watched it, but deleted the recording (Tivo keeps a 30 day 'already recorded' list to prevent this, a feature which is probably patented and $$$ to license.)

That's so annoying!  But what you're saying now makes sense.  The skipped recordings should record the next instance automatically.  I was getting thrown off by not seeing the multi circles showing up for the next instance. But that annoyance may well turn out to be the fix for my problem. Thanks!

Regular Contributor

The suggestions made by andyross worked!   My DVR now shuts itself off after recording the second instance of an episode. 

Thanks!

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

I should also add that if secondary runs of a program are marked as REPEAT, you need to change the series option to record New and Repeat.
Regular Contributor

This has been working well for me until last night.  An series episode was scheduled to record, but was not recorded, since 2 other programs had a higher priority.  It did record at midnight - the second showing of a new episode.  This recording did actually  shut off by itself, but the hour show recorded for 3 1/2 hours.  Still, things are working better now that I no longer set any series recordings manually. 
Regular Contributor

This has been working fairly well, but I still have the occasional program that doens't shut off after the recording is finished.  Unfortunately the last time was when I was away for a week.  A program filled up over half the DVR hard drive, thus erasing other things.