Visitor
Kitty222

I just had a DVR hooked up and the box runs really hot & when I turn off my TV & DVR I can still hear the motor running is this normal ? This is kinda  concerning to me , I have to leave the cabinet door open so it can vent the heat out. Also the box that was hooked up was used because it was scratched.!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

A set top box or a DVR is on all the time, when you turn it off, it doesn't really turn off.  A DVR has a hard drive and a fan inside just like a computer, so those are always running.  They are always buffering the live TV and recording to the drive.

If you have a Motorola DVR, the older silver large ones run hotter than the new ones, but even the new ones need open space around all sides and air flow.  You might want to try and exchange it for a newer DCX3400 (the "black" DVR) at your local office as it will run slightly cooler.  These boxes do need air around them, and will fail or error out if they overheat.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Comcast is not a GREEN company, apparently they have never heard of hibernate or standby (like PCs).

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

edpeters wrote: Comcast is not a GREEN company ...

Nope. With around 20 million TV customers, and if each has just one cable box, and each box uses about 20 watts 24/7/365, that's 400,000,000 watts, or 400,000 kilowatts, or 400 megawatts, the size of a small commercial power plant, just to power cable boxes that most of the time are doing . . . well, pretty much nothing.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

add to that all of ATT, Verizon, Dishtv boxes that do the same thing and then look what that adds up to.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

edpeters wrote:

Comcast is not a GREEN company, apparently they have never heard of hibernate or standby (like PCs).

That should be directed at the box manufacturer. Comcast doesn't make the boxes. They supply what someone else makes.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Queen-Evie wrote:

edpeters wrote:

That should be directed at the box manufacturer. Comcast doesn't make the boxes. They supply what someone else makes.

I was under the impression that Comcast/Xfinity (as the customer to those companies) presented them with the specifications for the converter boxes.  Now, I can understand in the initial start to the going digital Comcast would have to rely on old technology, but I would also expect that they would spec. the new boxes to be not only "user" friendly, but also "environmentally" friendly..   I'm sorry, I keep thinking that Comcast/Xfinity actaully cares about something other than the bottom line, and therefor maintains its status at the bottom of customer service and technology....