New Visitor
Joel_K

Digital Cable Box will not upgrade and boot

I have 3 DTAs installed and working fine but the Digital Cable Box has green screen saying Guardian has detected need to upgrade software and will take 20 min or more.  After 12 hours and still no change, I turned off and back on.  Then used the Comcast chat help.  They did somethey they said fixed it.  This was after hours of fooling with it.  Still get green screen saying upgrading software.  I have moved TVs.  All TVs worked fine with straight cable.  Internet works fine.  Anyone have similar issue and found a fix?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Re: Digital Cable Box will not upgrade and boot

Is it a HD box? If so are you using an HDMI cable? Sometimes there is a handshaking issue with the HDMI cable. You could try the component outputs and see what happens.

If it is an SD box then exchange it.

Contributor
heart31pa

My tenant is having the same Guardian issue with her "set-top box", as well as 2 of her 3 digital adapters not working.  She is considering sending all the boxes back and getting satellite tv.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

With the DTAs not working it could be the signal strength. Comcast can check the signal coming into the house. Any outside work is no charge.

Do the DTAs show a message on the television something about signal interruption? If so that indicates a signal problem coming in. Double check that all connections are tight. And if possible run the main cable input into one splitter and run all the television feeds directly into each box from that one splitter. The more splitters in the mix the more the signal strength goes down. Also make sure that the cable is RG6; works better with the new digital signals. And the splitters should be able to pass 1Mhz signal; should be written right on any splitters. If there are old splitters they can be replaced with new ones and Comcast carries those.

Contributor
heart31pa

Thank you for the information :smileywink: