Contributor

Digital TV Tuner does not get digital channels???

I recently got a new computer with WinTV-HVR-1250 that handles ClearQAM.  I have installed the latest 4.6A drivers with WinTV version 6.  I live in Washington State in Snohomish County (98275) and have Digital Comcast Cable.  The coaxial cable is connected directly to the TV Tuner coaxial connection.  I have tried using Windows Media Center and WinTV.  I have tried the WinTV scan for both digital and analog, and I only get and see channels 2 – 28.  For scanning, I used cable and format/NTSC_M… is this correct?  Our package includes a lot of digital channels I am not able to see.   All the channels we should be getting indicate I need a special Comcast box when looking at them on the computer.  How do I get this to work to see the digital channels that are part of my package?  Are channels above 28 encrypted and you are required to have the Comcast box?  If this is true, my TV tuner only has TV Connector, Composite Video and S-Video so other than antenna, don’t see how to get it a digital signal.  Please help!

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Digital TV Tuner does not get digital channels???

NTSC is analog.  You need to set it for QAM (the cable signal type for the digital ATSC).  You should be able to pick up the unencrypted channels indicated at this web site.  I live in Bellevue, WA and currently Comcast is providing the basic and expanded basic QAM signals unencrypted.  I don't know anything about your particular tuner, but if it can tune unencrypted QAM you just need to hook it up directly to the cable.
Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion... 

I just completed following the WinTV6 instructions on performing a scan for Clear QAM Digital Channels that looks for ATSC.  I am getting the same local channels, but am missing all my channels above 30 until I get to 70.  I get a message that “A Comcast provided digital device is now required to view this channel on the TV.”

I sent a note off to Comcast and their response is that I now need one of their digital boxes and that all extended channels are now encrypted.  Please tell me this is not true and there is something else I can try.  If it is true, then my digital TV tuner card will only be able to get extended channels as analog via their box or digital by an antenna as the back of the TV Tuner only has a TV, S-Video and composite. 
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

How do you get that message?  It sounds more like something you'd see if you tried to tune the analog channels.  As far as I know Comcast isn't encrypting the expanded basic channels (yet), and I have the impression that they don't even acknowledge the existence of QAM -- I think you still must be missing something in your quest for digital channels, since the channel numbering doesn't even match that of Comcast (no 2-29, 30-70, but more numbers like 4.1).  Check the manual.  See here for a list of digital QAM channels in the Seattle area.
Contributor

I tried to go into WinTV and put 4.1 and found it will not take any channels with a period.  This is the product I am using.... http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_faq_wintv6.html.  I have also tried scanning with a number of different options, but still no luck.  Should I be using a different product?  Is there any way to use Windows Media Center to this.  Any help or thoughts would be really appreciated.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

I don't know anything about your software, but you might try using a dash instead of a period.  Also, scan and see what channels you find.
Contributor

I looked through all the channels it found when I set it to scan for Clear QAM Source, Tuning Mode was Channels by Country and cable.  It does find the other channels, for example...

Name - qam-30

Channel Number - 2030

Physical Channel - 130

When I go to any of those channels, it is just a black screen.  I tried both the channel number and the physical channel.  There are a couple more channels that belong to city or universities that I was not getting before, but no channels from my extended package.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Did you look at the file on the site I linked to?  You should be able to get all the channels listed in that file, since they are available.
Contributor

Thank you for all the help!  I have looked at your link a number of times and have even tried to put in the channels manually.  The WinTV will not allow anything other than numbers.  I then tried to search every possible channel, but still no luck.  The interesting thing is that I received two written response back from Comcast...

Sounds like it might work...

With regard to your issue, based on my resources if the your TV is has a digital tuner, you should not be affected with the digtial migration. Since the only affected equipment on this transition are those analog TV sets. If your TV stop showing expanded channels please get the free DTA to to make sure everything will be working fine.

Sounds like you might need their box....

Regarding your cable connection issue, there is a need to get a Digital converter box at the local office for free. The first 2 boxes are free and since we are only limited for cable tv support, I would suggest to contact the manufacturer of your computer so that they can instruct you on how and what to do with the connection and set up of your computer to the cable box.

A phone call to them to sort it out resulted in them telling me there has been a recent change in the last week that now requires me to have a box as all extended channels are now encrypted.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

I don't believe that Comcast is encrypting the expanded basic channels yet.  I've heard nothing about their obtaining a waiver from the FCC to allow them to do that, and I can still get them fine in Bellevue.  It seems more likely to be a problem with the use of your tuner to access them.
Contributor

In sending a question to Hauppauge, they had me load their Beta version 4.8a.  After following all their instructions, I am still not able to view anything beyond the local channels.  I have read a number of conflicting threads on the web - some say it should work and others say it won't work.  I have also come across a number of threads that say the Hauppauge tuners do not work with Comcast.  One person said they were able to get it to work and tuned based on all Comcast unencrypted channels being on qam256.  Using WinTV, I do not see any way to scan qam256 and then tune the channels.  Another person indicated that you had to manually put in the channels and click tune due to Comcast having several channels on the same channel.  This person indicated that why users only are left with channels with black screens is due to the radio channels being the last one scanned.  I have tried this, but can only put in numbers with no dashes or periods.  In trying, I have been unsuccessful in this attempt too.  The final thing I have been able to find is that a number of people have had to return one or two TV tuner cards before getting one that worked.  This has been mainly a problem with the 1800 model.

When I do a search on Clear QAM, it does find local city, school, weather and travel channels such as:

2082 qam-82 Animal Planet

2083 qam-83 Travel

3002 qam-1002 Edmond Community College

3008 qam-1008 Weather Channel

3009 qam-1009 Community Television

3059 qam-1059 King County

It just doesn't find any extended channels, like Versus, Fox NW, etc. Since I am getting these channels, does it confirm at least that my TV Tuner is working correctly and can get Clear QAM?

Has anyone been able to get this to work with the Hauppauge 1250 internal TV tuner card while on Comcast? Or better yet, has anyone been able to get this to work with that card in the Puget Sound area or Snohomish county?