New Visitor
Tyler4382

Digital network enhancements?

I have Internet service but no TV or Phone. However, basic TV is supposed to come with Internet service. I got like six basic channels and was fine with that for over a year now.

Suddenly I turn on my TV and get a message saying that my TV is not ready for Comcasts digital network enhancements.

What's the deal?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Digital network enhancements?

[ Edited ]

On many systems the limited basic digital channels will be encrypted, and the limited basic analog channels are being removed.  Most subs would have received a letter in the mail saying after a certain date you need a digital box on all TV's.

Please call Comcast or stop by the local Comcast office to pickup the required equipment.  For a std def DTA digital adapter, there will not be a monthly fee if you are a HSI plus TV sub.

If you need a HD box, then check with the local office for the pricing in your area when you stop in.

You can also check this site and enter your account number and see if you can order it online which will take longer.

The encrypting of the limited basic's is phase 2 of the digital transition that started 2 1/2 years ago with the removal and encryption of the expanded basic channels.

For others, this is what is seen when the analogs are ready to be removed.

analog.JPG

New Visitor
Tyler4382

So now I need to cram another box into my system just to get the two channels I occasionally watched back? Freaking lame, but thank you for the response.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Actually the "Digital Transition" was the Govenrment mandating that TV broadcasters start transmitting in a digital format (as opposed to the analog format) that would require user to either have a QAM tuner in their TV or obtain a converter box (with a government rebate to cover the cost of 2 per household).  At that time Comcast told their customers not to worry as they would continue to supply analog signals on their cable.  That changed (after the cable companies sucked everybody in) when they stopped using stations analog signals for cable and only used the digital signals, requiring a converter box of their own unless you had a QAM tuner in your TV that could still receive the Limited/Basic channels.  Now we are hearing stories that Comcast is starting to encrypt these Local/Basic channels would require a Comcast box (making useless your QAM equipped tuners).  Supposedly they are going to supply a new uDTA box that will handle SD and HD encrypted channels?  As yet there has not been any official word from either the FCC or Comcast (at least that I have heard) concerning this encryption of Local/Basic being authorized. 

Tyler4382 wrote:

So now I need to cram another box into my system just to get the two channels I occasionally watched back? Freaking lame, but thank you for the response.

Email Expert

Back in 2009, the government mandated that cable companies continue to provide analog signals for local channels until 2012. Take a look at the calendar.

Visitor

The problem now is, the TVs I have that ARE digital can not get a signal like they did less than a few months ago.  Now we must PAY Comcast to RENT a box or one of their adapters.  Someone told me that the adapters sold in the stores do NOT work with Comcast and there is NOTHING we can BUY to get reception.  It is a win-win for COMCAST, not the viewers.  We are simply out of luck and must pay. pay, pay!