Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

Does "Digital Starter Package" = "HD Service" ?

Last July Comcast forced us to switch over from analog to digital service if we wanted to continue receiving HD service. So, we subscribed to the "Digital Starter Package".

Today I got a letter from Comcast stating that we're not subscribed to "HD Service" (even though we're using the HD capable set-top box that they provided last July) and, effective Feb 3rd, they are going to discontinue the HD service. Of course, if I agree to an additional charge of $8.00 per month, then the HD service will continue.

Can someone explain to me what the heck is going on here?

Thanks.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Does "Digital Starter Package" = "HD Service" ?

HD is always optional or included in some Triple Play packages, and in many markets is around $8 to cover all boxes in the house.  In many markets Comcast is now supplying HD boxes for both SD and HD service and can turn on or off the HD channels according to your level of service.

Looks like your account was audited, and they found you might be receiving HD when your not being billed for it.  So if you want HD, you will be billed the proper rate for the HD service, or you can go to only getting SD channels.

Regular Contributor

Thanks, JayInAlg.

It looks like my cable cost is going to go up then.

Why they didn't make this clear when we switched over last July I'll never know. Getting the HD signal was the main reason we made the change (we had - and still have - 2 HDTV's).

I guess I'l give them a call.

Regular Contributor

Good luck, MartinV. I hope that you are "in many markets is around $8 to cover all boxes in the house." We have 22 HD stations and the HD fee ($8.50) is per box (plus cost of box). Just checked it out hoping that the policy had changed. Nope. We settle for one HD box among our three boxes.

New Visitor
tad1073

What about the !!!!FREE!!!! over-the-air Local HD channels? Why should I have to pay $8.95 a month per HD box just to view the service that I am subscibed to plus the !!!!FREE!!!!! over-the-air Local HD channels.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

If you don't use a set top box or if you split the cable before the set top box, then the local network channels are available in HD on most systems in clear QAM if you have a HDTV with a clear QAM tuner.