Visitor
adbda

Dolby 5.1 output through HDMI

I'm having trouble getting my Motorola box to send Dolby 5.1 audio to my receiver on a consistent basis. I have the box connected by HDMI to my Onkyo SR606 receiver, which handles the audio and sends the video by HDMI to my TV.

My receiver's display tells me what kind of audio signal it's getting, and sometimes every channel is Dolby 2.0 instead of Dolby 5.1 (even on channels when Dolby 5.1 is indicated in the program information). When I go into the HDMI settings and change the audio output from auto to pass through, the receiver starts showing a 5.1 signal, but then it reverts back to 2.0 when I've turned everything off and back on again. For example, when I went to bed last night, the receiver was getting a 5.1 signal, but when I turned the receiver on this morning, it had gone back to 2.0. I unplugged the cable box, plugged it back in, went into the HDMI settings and changed the audio to pass through again, and it was back to 5.1. I expect that when I get home from work later today and turn everything on, I will again see a 2.0 signal.

What is the deal with this, and how can I set up the box so that it always sends out 5.1 audio through the HDMI output? I've seen other posts where people suggest that you just use the box's optical output for audio, but that shouldn't be necessary. The HDMI output is cleary capable of sending a 5.1 signal, and you shouldn't have to screw with it every time to get it to work. Anything I can do?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Dolby 5.1 output through HDMI

comcast boxes have issues going from box to receiver then out to tv.  The problem is the various hdmi software releases.  comcast boxes are old and the receivers and tv's are new.  the problem is the hdmi settings go away when one of the pieces of equipment are turned off.

Most people to get around this run an optical audio cable from the box to the receiver for sound and that solves the issue like you say.  

the hdmi is capable but the comcast box is not, so use the optical cable and you will be happy.  does it fix the issue yes, should it work the other way of course so the choice is yours.   there is new equipment coming out later this year and next that might address the issue but no one can be sure.

Visitor
adbda

Thanks. OK. I guess I have to run an extra cable for audio and change the settings on my receiver. Not the end of the world, but it's too bad the box can't just work as designed.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

agreed at least its a small thin cable  :smileycool:

Visitor
adbda

Right -- the annoying issue for me is that the box and receiver are in built-in shelving on different sides of the fireplace, so the cable has to be 15-feet long and run through the basement.

Visitor
adbda

I've now implemented the workaround described above (using a separate optical cable for audio only instead of just using the HDMI audio output, which apparently will not put out 5.1 because the box erases all its settings each time you turn off any device connected to it), and now I have another problem. The audio is not synced with the video. It's delayed, i.e., lips move and then audio comes out of the speakers some milliseconds later, but noticeably delayed enough to disrupt from the viewing experience. I had to use a 15-foot optical cable. I'm not sure of the length of the cable has anything to do with it. Also, my receiver (Onkyo SR606) has the ability to delay audio for syncing purposes, but that doesn't help me when the audio is already slower than the video. The syncing settings on the receiver don't seem to allow for a video delay or an audio acceleration, so there doesn't seem to be anything the receiver can do to correct this. Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can fix this highly annoying problem, which in my mind shouldn't exist because the HDMI output should be 5.1 anyway? Should I just try to get a new box that will save its HDMI settings?
Visitor

I have an RNG 110 any with either HDMI or Optical  am not able to get any audio when pass through is selected and wit auto the siganl is only in stero. Have any of you all experienced this? I hope I am just missing something. Thanks!