Contributor

Dreaded Green Screen with HDMI

Just recently (seems after Comcast updated their channel guide), I started getting the green screen of death.  Sometimes it seems after I change the channel about 15 times (surfing up or down).  I've been reading on the 'net about this issue and it seems that it could be a HDCP handshake issue.  I am just not sure how it is fixed.  I currently have a DCH3200 box and like I said was working fine until about 10 days ago.  Some of the answers are to use component cables, I like the one cable HDMI.  I tried looking for firmware upgrades, but could not find any for the DCH3200.

Anyone else have this issue?  I am in the Baltimore area.

BTW..Comcast email support was worthless. 

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Dreaded Green Screen with HDMI

What device (type, make, model number) is the box connected to?
Contributor

The DCH3200 is connected directly via HDMI to a Sony KDL40XBR4.
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

I've seen other posts about HDMI handshake problems between Motorola boxes and Sony equipment.  Have you tried component?
Contributor

I really wanted to stay away from component (1 wire vs. 3).  Just seems strange that I had this cable box and TV for over a year with no issues, then about 10 days ago...bang!  or should I say slime.
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

For some reason HDMI handshake seems to be a fragile thing.
Contributor

Yes.  If it gets to be to annoying, I will switch to component.  :-(

Thanks for the replies.

Contributor

This I see is a little older thread...but I just got my first new TV and my New $69.00 HDMI cable connector with the gold contacts etc etc.

Well I got the green screen syndrome. If I change channels..the screen locks into a green entire earth green color / with sound.

I have to unplug the tv and re-power it, and all is normal again. It has been happening like 10 times a night. The TV was new...so I sent it to get checked out, and they said there was not a thing wrong with the TV... The tv is a Panasonic 32" little tv not the big big kind.

it happened again...and I called Panasonic Corporation...the engineer said for me to see what kind of cable box I have...I said it was a Motorola DVR box with High Definition hook up for 1080i quality format.

Is it true? He said that Motorola has a lock out of the signal in HDMI Mode, and that they were working on the problem with the Comcast Engineers.

I heard that there was a rbg mode to set the cablebox into...or get another brand TV Cable Box.

Is there such a thing in the works that anyone has heard of??

The guy from panasonic said temporarily to hook the tv on coponent cables? I called the Radio Shack and the man there said I should not need the lesser quality and to get the true 1080i, he said use the HDMI hookup cable. I went and bought one from him at 97.00 for a real good one, and I still get the green screen syndrome.

I just found out the other day, that my daughter just bought a 55" SONY TV and her screen gets the green screen syndrome too. She lives only a couple miles from me and has the same cable box with comcast hd and dvr hookup. Hmmmmmm???/ Don't know what to do?  

Bronze Star Contributor
Mongo53e

[ Edited ]

I have used $6 HDMI cables with my 1.5 year old Samsung LCD Tv, connected to a PC with a cheap motherboard and onboard video, xBox360, cheap DVD player, AND JUST TONIGHT MY DISH NETWORK STB.  Never once a green screen OR any problem.  I had to physically break my cheap HDMI cable before having problems (which I broke tanking the HTPC out of the entertainment center for the  23rd time, trying to get it to work with COMCAST DTA's).  I have never tried a COMCAST STB with HDMI though.

I don't think the HDMI link is that fragile, and if I had to guess, I'd be more willing to believe the problem lies with COMCAST STB than it does with Sony or Panasonic.

Could this be a HDCP problem?  Green screens are a known problem for the HDCP protocols used with HDMI cables.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=649941

Seemed to be more than one person that thinks its a Motorola problem.  I guess you can check for new firmware, can you update the firmware on a COMCAST STB?

Regular Contributor
carmichalski01

Ravenfan50 wrote:

Just recently (seems after Comcast updated their channel guide), I started getting the green screen of death.  Sometimes it seems after I change the channel about 15 times (surfing up or down).  I've been reading on the 'net about this issue and it seems that it could be a HDCP handshake issue.  I am just not sure how it is fixed.  I currently have a DCH3200 box and like I said was working fine until about 10 days ago.  Some of the answers are to use component cables, I like the one cable HDMI.  I tried looking for firmware upgrades, but could not find any for the DCH3200.

Anyone else have this issue?  I am in the Baltimore area.

BTW..Comcast email support was worthless. 

i have 3 HDtvs hooked up to comcast meadowlands of NJ.

2 tvs are fine but just noticed this morning that my sisters tv is really green tinted.

so now what? i was going to try to get a new receiver to rectify the issue

any hep or suggestions?

Bronze Star Contributor
Mongo53e

Have you tried unplugging, waiting a few minutes and plugging back in the effected receiver to wall power. i.e. rebooting it, to see if it clears the problem?

Swap it with other STB's that do NOT have the problem and see if the problem is assoiciated with just the one STB or its associated with a particular COAX drop.  At least try to narrow it down to being a problem with the one reciever before trading it in.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get this problem alot. While I am waiting for Comcast to solve this issue I have found two work arounds.

1) power off the TV, then power back on.  This works about 90% of the time

2) Go to channel 200*, wait for the HD channel to lock in, then hit the last button on the remote to take you back to your original channel.  This works 100% of the time.

* In my market channel 200 is the first of the HD channels.  You actual channel number may vary.

New Visitor
gserio

I too have been having this problem and Comcasts answer is to switch to component cable. I have not done this and all I can give you that helps when you get a green screen is to channel to a HD channel then go back. It works from me.