New Visitor
margokw

Dynex TV turns back on after All Off.

I recently bought a 32" Dynex TV and programmed it to work with my Comcast remote (silver with red Select button) using the code 11463 (which I got from the Comcast website to match the remote I have). It works and does the volume and turns the TV on, etc. However, what it FAILS to do is turn the TV OFF.

When I press TV and the Power OR if I press All Off, the TV will go off for a few seconds and then turn back on. I tried using a different code, which the TV did respond to like the first code, but still had the same problem. I even used the remote's self-programming feature to find the code and still no luck.

Do I need a different type of remote for this new TV? It's weird that it's only turning OFF the TV that is the issue--everything else seems to work, even the Menu! So far, the only way to turn the TV off is with the TV remote.

Help!

Regular Contributor

Re: Dynex TV turns back on after All Off.

[ Edited ]

Well this is interesting. I also have a Dynex TV but never had that happen. How many devices does your remote control? There's a chance that maybe the settings for "Aux" or something else is the same as your TV. I recommend changing the programming for the non TV or Cable choices. I'm not home so I can't recall what's on the remote.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

if you try pressing tv then power what happens?  My guess is you have the tv plugged into the cable, box.  Trying plugging it into another outlet and then try it and see what happens. 

Regular Contributor

Rog is correct but I'd try that on all of the device buttons, especially auxiliary (AUX). But we already know that the TV and Cable buttons are working. If this doesn't work I'd just get another remote since the current one is sending two power signals to the TV.

New Visitor
sjritchie

I have a very similar problem.. 32" Dynex.  I did a code search and it chose 10463 and 11463 (tried a few times).  If I select TV then power, the tv turns off.  If I select cable and power, the cable box turns off.  IF I select AUX and power, nothing happens. If I select ALL OFF, the cable box turns off, the tv turns off then back on.  The TV is plugged into its own outlet, not the cable box.  I'll keep looking for answers but will also follow this thread to see what others find.

Silver Problem Solver
BruceW

Jabbo: What code are you using for your Dynex?

sjritchie: If your TV is on, does Cable/Power or Aux/Power turn it off? 

If your TV is off, does Cable/Power or Aux/Power turn it on?  

If no, what happens if you set your TV code to one for a completely different brand/model? Does All On still turn the set on? Does All On turn it off?

New Visitor
sjritchie

I watch the lights cycle from cable to tv to aux for turning all off.

If TV and cable box are on, the convertor turns off when cable is indicated.  When tv is indicated, the tv turns off then the red light on the tv starts to flash and the set turns on. When AUX is indicated, nothing occurs.

When all are off, the cable box turns on with "cable", the tv turns on with "tv" and nothing happens with "aux".

If I select each (cable, tv, aux) and power, the expected response occurs without the tv turning off then back on immediately.

I have not set the remote to something completely different and tried the all-on.  I tried each of the codes indicated in the dynex manual and the power only was affected by one (it was the 4th or 5th on the list) and where it was supposed to turn the TV off, it turned off then back on.  This is why I did not use that code and entered the sequence for the remote to find it's own code (which actually matches the online codes as I listed in my earlier post)

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You should look into your TV's menu for a setting to turn off the CEC control, which is the consumer electronic control that the HDMI "talks" between equipment.  There are different names of this control from different TV Mfr's, I don't know the name for your Dynex.

It is a feature that turns on and controls different equipment over the HDMI cable, and sometimes needs to be turned off when it doesn't react the way you want it to.

Regular Contributor

SteveW: I believe that I'm using code 11463 for my Dynex TV but mine is either 40" or 42". After reading in this forum that the cable box uses the same amount of power whether its off or on has soured me on using the all on button anyway since I'm really only turning off the TV.

Silver Problem Solver
BruceW

[ Edited ]

JayInAlg wrote: You should look into your TV's menu for a setting to turn off the CEC ...

I like it.

sjritchie:

If you can't find the setting Jay described, you could still test the idea by unplugging the HDMI cable. If the remote works correctly then you know you have an HDMI problem instead of a remote control problem. Also note Jabbo's observation: most cable boxes don't really turn off -- they use about as much power when "off" as they do when on.

New Visitor
sjritchie

further investigation leads me to believe that it is the duration of the signal being sent.  If I use TV and OFF and hold the button for a bit, the TV cycles back on.  IF I do it quick, it stays off.  Looking at the all-on/off duration as it flashes, it seems that the signal is sent for longer than I would normally hold the button down.  So, I turned everything on, then hit the all-off button and as soon as I saw the TV light turn on, I immediately covered the IR transmitter to reduce the amount of time the signal reaches the TV. Guess what... it stayed off.  I repeated this multiple times with the same results.  Now to see of the remote is somehow tunable to the duration of time the signal is transmitted (I suspect comcast will be entirely clueless but I'll try)

Regular Contributor

Good catch sjritchie. I doubt if you'll get anywhere with comcast with that query but I wish you well. My remote only flashes for about a second per device for all 3 devices. Maybe a new remote or stronger batteries can increase your remote speed.

New Visitor
sjritchie

I have a brand new remote and brand new batteries since I needed the HD cable box after buying my Dynex.  I contacted comcast via online chat and they had no clue and started suggesting swapping the remote, resetting the box, changing the batteries, etc.  I'm an engineer dealing with satellite communications and I was quite insulted by how they handled my contact.  I have yet to try the telephone route but will do so either today or tomorrow.  As for the timing, the remote only flashes for a second or so but that seems to be just a hair too long for the Dynex tv.  Interrupting ANY of the signal during the sequence seems to not exceed the max time before the set turns back on.  I have tried using the tv and power button alone and holding it for different durations.  When I get to the amount of time approximate to the all-on timing is when it starts turning back on.  It's close but just a bit too long.  One solution is probably to go to Best Buy and pickup a cheap ($30 or so) logitech harmony remote that you can program yourself (including transmit durations I'm told) via computer.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

so you have tried leaving the box on and just pressing tv power?  do you have the tv plugged into the box?

Silver Problem Solver
BruceW

sjritchie wrote: further investigation leads me to believe that it is the duration of the signal being sent.  If I use TV and OFF and hold the button for a bit, the TV cycles back on ...

Do you know if the TV remote behaves this way?

New Visitor

I'm having the same issue, has any one resolved this problem?

New Visitor

Same thing happens to me to.

I plugged the tv into the back of the box and that shuts of the tv when box is off.

One problem with that is that when I record something on my DVR the tv turns on with no sound, just a picture (quite annoying in the middle of the night).

So I have plugged the TV back into the power strip and have to use the Dynex remote to shut it off.

Did anyone find a solution?

New Visitor
HBill

I have a Dynex 32in using a comcast all in one remote I try codes 11463 &10463 but still the TV come right back on. I did find 2 things that work for me, 1 thing if you hit TV button and a very quick tap on the power button it stay off on comcast remote. The next thing that I am using now I plug the TV in the back of the cable box I want into the comcast main Menu ,Setup,Cable box setup, AC outlet, I switch this from unswitched to switched this will turn power going to TV when you hit the all  on button

New Visitor
3sak

This method works. I have the same problem and tried the quick press of the power button and it works. Seems a bit silly to have to do it this way, but Comcast nor Dynex will provide a fix.

New Visitor
Dacaria

Same thing was happening to me.  There is nothing else attached to the box, only the Dynex TV.  The "quick press" of the off button didn't work either. 

What I found out was some third-party universal remote controls send multiple signals to devices. What worked for me, was to point the remote away from the TV immediately when it turned off so it would only get the one signal.  Either that or I just use my Dynex remote since neither Comcast nor Dynex came up with a fix for this yet.

New Visitor
fljkansldkfnlkj

If you put your finger over the signal transmitter on your remote for a second then let it blink once then remove your finger at the tail end of the second blink then your tv should turn off and stay off. I had the same problem and this is what works best for me.

Regular Contributor

Unless you're turning off more than the comcast box and TV this really isn't much of an issue since the comcast box doesn't really power down I've read somewhere in this forum. If this is the case only turn the TV off.

Contributor

anyone find a solution for this yet?  comcast and dynex are no help at all. I did notice that when I hit the all on button to turn everything off, watching the lights, both the tv and the aux. light up at the same time.

Contributor

I have mine plugged into a wall outlet, does the same thing

Contributor

I have the third remote and two comcast techs here. Still have the same problem!   Anyone find a solution for this problem yet. Dynex techs have no answer either

Contributor

any idea how to turn this off?  Dynex techs don't know what I'm talking about

Contributor

problem with that is, comcast says if something happens to the box it can ruin your tv

New Visitor
techmutter

I don't think it has anything to do with your set.  It has to do with the comcast box and remote.  For us, this only happens with the smaller comcast boxes.  The dvr doesn't do this.  When we turn off any of our sets, they seem to recycle and turn back on.  this happens to any set connected and controlled with the smaller comcast remote.  We purchased a new television, and it does the same thing.  I got a new comcast box from the comcast store, and it still behaves badly.  When I turn the tv off by hitting the power button on the tv itself, it stays off.

I also noticed that sometimes to get the tv to stay off, I need to keep the remote pointed to the tv until the tv has completely shut down.  In another room, you have to block the live of vision from the remote to the box right away, or it will turn back on.  Wierd.

So,,,the answer seems to be with either the small cable boxes or the small remotes that control those boxes.  It's up to comcast to give us better service. 

New Visitor
techmutter

It has been a few years, and this problem still exists!  I think it has to do with comcast making every tv in the house have a box so they can charge.  The signal to your home should be whole, so a box is not needed.  This system is so outdated!  There should be wireless cable so you can move your tv without calling a service man to re route your cable wires!  The only reason we have these problematic boxes is because it gives comcast one more thing to charge to the customer.