Contributor
ruascott

Equipment fees

Can someone please explain to me my bill, because no one actually working for Comcast seems able to....

I have 5 TVs in my home hooked up, each with their own box.

2- HD DVRs

3 - HDs

If I understand correctly, I should be getting charged a DVR fee of $8.00 x 2 = $16.00

and a digital outlet service of $8.95 x 4 = $35.80

And then an $8.95 HD Technology fee for the whole house.

I get my first outlet "free" correct?

However, Comcast is also charging me $1.99 x 3 = $5.97 for Cable Card fees??? The brilliant CSR told me that the Cable Cards were part of my boxes and it was correct that I was being charged for both Cable Cards and Set-top box rentals. I tried to imply they were wrong, but they didn't seem to believe me or know what the heck they were talking about (probably the latter).

Also, after researching the CableCards, I was thinking maybe I'd be better just purchasing some of my own devices and paying the $2/month per card rather than $50+month for all these insane fees. Any recommendations? I realize I'd lose On-Demand, which would stink, but how do the CableCard options compare?

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Re: Equipment fees

ruascott wrote: ... The brilliant CSR told me that the Cable Cards were part of my boxes ...

That is correct. 

... and it was correct that I was being charged for both Cable Cards and Set-top box rentals. ...

That is incorrect. Comcast only charges for Cablecards in non-Comcast equipment. I would call back and go another round with the Billing folks.

... Also, after researching the CableCards, I was thinking maybe I'd be better just purchasing some of my own devices and paying the $2/month per card rather than $50+month for all these insane fees. Any recommendations? I realize I'd lose On-Demand, which would stink, but how do the CableCard options compare?

It's option, singular, namely Tivo. The only other Cablecard devices I'm aware of that are in current production are TV tuner cards for PCs.

Good luck!

Email Expert
madylarian

I've asked the Comcast administrators to look into this situation.

mady

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Contributor
ruascott

I was once again told today that I have to pay $1.99 for a cable card charge for each additional Comcast box, in addition to the $8.95 charge.

The cutomer "service" (get real) agent assured me that Comcast only gave one free cable card and then each additional one requires a $1.99 fee. Of course I was never told this when singing up...only the $8.95 charge. I'll give it another week or so to be rectified or I'll start giving my $160/month to DirectTV.  

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

do you have cable cards?  do you have tivo's?   comcast is suppose to give you a credit for a tivo.  SEe the link below.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Source-Comcast-to-Offer-CableCARD-Self-Installs-114866

Recognized Contributor
halfband

[ Edited ]

rog286713 wrote:

do you have cable cards?  do you have tivo's?   comcast is suppose to give you a credit for a tivo.  SEe the link below.

The OP is being charged for the cable cards "in the comcast supplied cable boxes"  which is absolutely crazy even by the radically inconsistent comcast standards.

Either the person setting up his account made a major mistake or somehow he has three cable cards assigned to his account that are "in addition" to the set top boxes and DVRs.   Either way this is mass confusion and the CSRs are apparently in over their head.

The only other explanation is that comcast is using the new FCC cable card mandate to slip through a fee increase by charging for the cable cards separately (to meet the FCC clear billing and equipment charge mandates) but without reducing the original $9 box fee.  That just sounds unlikely as a $9 box fee + a $2.00 cable card fee will go over like a lead balloon in this economy.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

ruascott wrote: I was once again told today that I have to pay $1.99 for a cable card charge for each additional Comcast box ...

A little late, but I happened upon this page today: http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQViewer.aspx?Guid=121a0154-a7f4-4558-9552-a45e1b3d0a5c. "Is there an additional fee for a CableCARD enabled cable box? If you are provided with a CableCARD enabled cable box, there is no additional fee."

Administrator
ComcastLarry

[ Edited ]

-

Sorry for the late response, but a ticket was setup for someone to look into this matter for you.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-