Visitor
davidnemcek

HD Cable Box with Two TVs and one HDMI Splitter

HD Cable Box with Two TVs and one HDMI Splitter

I have a Motorola DCX3200-M cable box, two Samsung HDCP compliant HD TVs and a SIIG HDCP compliant HDMI splitter. I am trying to set up two TVs in one room with the HDMI output of the cable box connected to the input of the HDMI splitter and the outputs of the HDMI splitter connected to the HDMI inputs of the two TVs. When I have one or the other TV connected to the splitter the picture is fine but when I connect a second TV to the splitter (2nd TV turned on or off) I get a blue screen message that states: “The HD Content Protection of your Repeater has been compromised. All devices connected to the Repeater will not be authorized to receive video over the digital link.” The display flashes for a few seconds and then turns green.

One other time I received a message stating: “The HD Content Protection of your display has been compromised. Please use the YPbPr outputs for your HD connection.”

Can anyone at Comcast explain what is going on here?

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Re: HD Cable Box with Two TVs and one HDMI Splitter

HDMI must "handshake" with a device. It does not like being split.

Can you use component for one of the TV's?

Recognized Contributor
halfband

Yeah, the handshake is being broken when you switch over and the content protection system disables the feed.  You can search the internet and see if any of the HDMI switching systems have worked out a solution to this but if the copy protection system is working as designed they should not be able to.  Your options here are extremly limited.

Visitor
davidnemcek

Thank you Barbie123 and halfband for your responses to my post.

I am no HDCP expert but from some of the research I have done; it appears that others have been successful with this configuration although they were using a different service provider. Could it be that the Comcast/Motorola DCX3200-M combo or Comcast alone do not permit creating more than one device key and thus limiting us to only one HDMI display? If so, then I assume that Comcast has disclosed this somewhere but I cannot find it and no one at Comcast can tell me where to find it either. I have entertained using component video but only after running into this problem. I purchased all HDCP compliant equipment assuming that compliant meant that it would work.

If any Comcast customer has been successful with installing two HDMI displays on one cable box then I welcome their input.

I have sent an email to SIIG technical support to get their input on this problem and I am waiting on their response. I will post their response if it is meaningful.

Visitor
davidnemcek

It’s time for an update.

I received a response from SIIG technical support and they sent me a link to download a firmware update to resolve an HDCP handshaking issue. There was a bit of a language barrier and some of their recommendations lost detail in the translation. I attempted to update the firmware and at first I was not successful but after a few emails and changing from a FAT32 thumb drive to a FAT thumb drive I was able to update the firmware. I’m not sure if FAT vs. FAT32 was the issue but that is what worked for me.

I can now reliably operate multiple HDMI displays on a single Comcast set-top-box (ST:smileycool:; however I did notice that it is important to follow a specific power up sequence otherwise the displays will not operate and I must restart everything including the splitter. I leave the splitter powered up at all times, then power up the STB followed by one or all of the displays. After that I can power all displays off or on in any sequence. Luckily, the Comcast remote control “All On” button powers up the STB first in the sequence.

I’m happy that everything is working but it is disturbing that a new SIIG CE-H21511-S1 HDMI splitter needed a firmware upgrade right out of the box and it is also disturbing that Comcast’s technical support solution to the problem was to insist that no more than one HDMI display can be connected to a single STB.

I hope others can benefit from this information.

New Visitor
jmc24

what exact kind of splitter you have? If you can tell me exactly what equipment you bought for a dual HDMI comcast cable box connection so to 2 HDTVs on one cable box using a HDMI connection.   I have a HDMI splitter but I heard that it cuts connection in half and so It just doesnt work.  I think my splitter needs to be amplified but Im not sure.