Contributor
bbdouglas

HD-DVR: Some shows in HD play back in SD

This is an ongoing problem with one show in particular. I either haven't had the issue or just haven't paid close enough attention with other shows because I don't record a ton of shows on my DVR.

I've got the standard Motorola silver box with black face HD-DVR connected to a 50" Panasonic plasma via HDMI. I have recorded and played back plenty of things in HD with (mostly) no issues. However, one show in particular I record the new episodes weekly and when played back they are never in HD, but letterboxed in 4:3 with black bars on the side...only it's also letterboxed like a widescreen movie. It's as if the HD signal is recorded, but it's being scaled down so it fits entirely in the 4:3 box.

The show is Raising Hope on FOX, and I know it's in HD because it says so at the beginning of every episode, and the very few times I've been home to watch it live it has been in HD. However, every time it gets recorded it is always in 4:3 format letterboxed on the top and the sides as I mentioned before. I also record the Office, Outsourced, an I diot Abroad and other shows in HD on other channels with no issue. I also recorded the Superbowl on the same FOX channel in HD with no issues. But this particular show always does this. I don't record anything regularly on FOX to know if others do this, but this is pretty annoying. Thoughts?

Brent

P.S. Apparently you can't use the word I-D-I-O-T in a post because it's a "bad word"?! Guess i can't talk about the show...

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: HD-DVR: Some shows in HD play back in SD

I'll set up a recording of this for test purposes, but I'm sure it's Fox's doing -- either national or local. 

Bronze Star Contributor
schimmy

I had this issue in the past when they first added the big lot of HD channels a year ago in my area. But for me, it was for MTV. Anything that my wife was recording on MTV would be set for the HD feed, but after one episode, it would start recording the SD version. I talked with one of the techs in my area about this and I think they did something on their end because after a few weeks, they said it should be fixed and I haven't had that problem since then. They never fully stated what the problem and resolution was.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

That's possible, but if so then the recording would indicate it was of the SD channel.  The occasions when I've heard of this happening (years ago) it was the result of both SD and HD channels having been assigned the same name, with the DVR choosing the lower numbered (SD) channel to record.  If this happened, it would've been done for every recording.

Contributor
bbdouglas

For what it's worth, it's the Augusta, GA market and it's the WFXG affiliate for FOX. Like I said, though, it worked fine for the Superbowl on the same channel, so I don't know that it is network specific unless there's a way they can do that on a show by show basis or something.  I do record a show or two on MTV, but not all of theirs shows are shot in HD yet. I recorded the Real World last week and I'm pretty sure it was an HD recording. I don't always notice if it's just go the 4:3 black bars, but with Raising Hope it's got those AND the letterboxing bars on top and bottom, so it just looks ridiculous and is really obvious.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

The networks can do all sorts of things for individual shows -- sometimes even during a program.

Bronze Star Contributor
schimmy

WarEagle57 wrote:

That's possible, but if so then the recording would indicate it was of the SD channel.  The occasions when I've heard of this happening (years ago) it was the result of both SD and HD channels having been assigned the same name, with the DVR choosing the lower numbered (SD) channel to record.  If this happened, it would've been done for every recording.

That's what was happening with mine when it happened. The first set recording was the HD channel, then after that first one, the DVR would automaticlly change it to the SD channel (from 723 to 23). I would have to delete the series recording and re-set it to record in HD again.

If his recording is still saying the HD channel is set, then the issue is probably different. I know my wifes Judge Judy recordings sometimes don't record right (usually the 430am recording). I know Judge Judy is not taped in HD and it'll have the bars on the side, but there is that rare occurance that the recording has the bars at the top and bottom also and it's almost like watching it on a 20 inch screen on a 52 inch TV.