Contributor

HD Picture and Sound Break-Up Often

We are having ongoing problems with reception on HD channels!  The picture fractures, sound breaks up, often, but sporadically.  Having the technicians come is pointless, because if it is not happening at that moment, they say there is nothing they can do!  We had a similar problem a year ago, and they finally found a "bad cable" in the local network.  The problem is that they have to "substantiate" that it's not a "local" problem, or in the home, before they can refer it.  I would like to know if more subscribers are having a similar problem, and what the solution has been.

Contributor

Re: Losing signal for TV, Internet, and Phone

We have had similar problems with the picture fracturing and sound breaking up, also often in the evening during "prime-time."  I have had techs come, but if it's not happening while they are here, they can't identify the problem.  Of course, it never happens when they are here!  

About a year ago we went through this, and after re-wiring, putting in an amplifier, and new cable to the pole, they finally found a "bad cable" in the "network."  It is driving us nuts, and we are considering dropping Comcast after being a customer for many years!    

Barry

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: HD Picture and Sound Break-Up Often

Barry, I replied to your other post, and it's not a good idea to double post as it causes confusion for everyone involved.

The Comcast Cares Team was notified of your issue and will get the right local people involved.

Watch for updates from the team or someone local during the business week.

New Visitor
monkeyz333

I'm having the same problems. I've already had a tech come out and she said it was a loose wire, so she tightened all of my wires. I'm STILL having the problem. Some days it's so bad, I just give up and go read a book. I just get really tired of calling, going through phone trees, sheduling my day around an appointment, and then having the problem recur over and over again. Unfortunately, where I live, Comcast is my ONLY choice if I want cable. I'm really close to just going strictly with Netflix and Hulu+. The last time I watched Netlix, my show had a small problem loading. Netflix sent me an e-mail the next day apologizing for the problem and offered me a 3% discount to reimburse me for my trouble. I've never seen Comcast offer a discount for reception and sound problems. Perhaps they should follow Netflix's example when failing to provide the services as advertised and paid for by the customer.

Contributor

All the breaking-up is usually only on HD-channels!  When the fracturing is happening, in the middle of a "favorite program," we go down the the "regular channel," like Channel 5, and it is better.  The picture is not nearly as good, however. The last time we had problems like this, about a year ago, it took over 4 months of calls, visits, and "tinkering" to to finally get it cleared up.  We were sent one free movie coupon for our troubles!  It was totally "underwhelming!" 

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

and what was the solution last time.

Contributor

They finally turned the problem over to the "network" team, and they found a "bad" cable in the local network.  It worked fine for nearly a year, and recently started up again.  This last visit, the tech found a problem in the signal coming to the house, so again, it will be referred to the "network" folks.  We're hoping for the best!

New Visitor
rodude

I have been having the same problem with picture and sound breaking up for a few seconds periodically. This happens for live and recorded programs. I don't have an HD DVR, but I do have the exact same problem. This has been happening ever since we received the new Xfinity menu display a few months ago.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

what box do you have?

Administrator
ComcastLarry

-

A ticket is still open for your case.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Regular Contributor
spottedlady

I have been having issue with sound/picture, and it usually is a HD channel that we are watching at the time.  I have a Cisco box( which I have to re-boot at least 2-3 times a week.  I don't even bother calling Comcast anymore because there answer is...unplug the box, yada, yada, yada...Are we expecting too much from Comcast?  The last time I did call I was told what a valued xfinity customer I am.  I really had to laugh.  They offered to ship me a brand new DVR, one that no one else has had.  Why can't I get a tech to BRING me one and set it up?  Why do I need to wait at home for UPS to deliver something that still has to be activated by CALLING comcast?  I am tired of paying for services I don't get 100% of the time.  It is still the same 25 year old wires in the neighborhood.  Upgrade that before upgrading what we have to pay for.

Contributor
jetermacaw

Well after 2 months of pure PAIN, I have finally resolved my problem and hope this will help other Comcast customers.  After having PC Richards check my new 60" Sharp, trading in 2 Onkyo a/v receivers[ one comcast tech and one Onkyo tech said the problem was the receiver] I finally fixed my problem.  I am running all componets thru my new Yamaha a/v via HDMI [ which I also changed out, comcast tech again] , with the last HDMI coming out of the a/v to the TV. The problem was the pic would just Blink, sound would drop out, no pattern it would just happen. Comcast replaced all wires from the pole to the house and to the box. Same problem. Sent out a Super tech, he just rubbed his head and said everyone was having same problem. Yuk, now what? Being a loyal Comcast customer for over 20 yrs. I refused to give up, no Direct TV for me yet. So I did what any smart tech would do. I switched out the cable box and guess what, no more problem. This was my third box so do go thinking that was the first thing I should have done.  I think u need to get a box that was programed AFTER Comcast did their big upgrade the old boxes do seem to be able to handle the new program causing a drop in signal. Good luck!

New Visitor
daviddemartinis

I had the same issue with my Sony Bravia TV. I blamed it on the cable box but it was my TV. Sony sent me a firmware update that corrected the problem. Not saying it is the same as your problem but I was blaming the cable box just like you.

New Visitor
StockPicker

Barry, 

I understand your concerns, I left Comcast here in maryland about a year and a half ago for unresolved video issues related to upstream connections ( AKA network issues).  I recently returned to comcast thinking they had enough time to resolve thier network issues, Looks like I was wrong.  

The issue that burns me up the most is that I'm paying over  One hundred dollars a month for quality services, and I don't get them in return, THEN I call tech support and get either a young inexperienced technician ( or someone trying to dump a call because talking to me to long would hurt hit call stats!!!!!!) or a really caring experienced technician who can only send someone to my home ( and hope that technicain will care enough about doing a good job). 

When the technician arrives they check siginal levels  at the jack and feeding the home and in my case  frequency responce via a spectrum analysis  ( if I really ask for it).  if the problem cannot be detected right then and there ( which is usually the case since it is now  12- 56 hours later when the tech arrives) unfortunatly they will tend to say I see no problem so there is nothing I can do ( which is true for that technician but not Comcast as a whole).

I would reccommend that comcast scan thier call history by area to determine where there are potential "UPSTREAM Network issues" and run network quality test for that local loop.  Comcast need not worry about angry rants on the internet but  real issues that speak to the quality of thier product and thier Brand.

I will give my local comcast team a reasonable amount of time to deal with thier network ( 1 month) , but if unresolved, because of people who do not take ownership of a customer issue or larger  network related trouble because of ill advised management issues ( not enough network staff to provide for network quality) then I will simply vote again with my dollar.

Regards,

Patrick  Black

New Visitor
Theogeek

My sound goes all choppy on all channels and then disappears entirely. Sometimes the picture goes out too. Tech support said to reboot the box, but I'm still having the same problem. There is no Fios in my area, but there is a satellite dish on the roof left by a previous owner. Thinking of ditching comcast using the dish and Verizon Internet since that combo is a lot cheaper! I don't watch tv much but when I do I want it to work.
New Visitor
namcq

I am just starting to have this problem after two years with all the same equipment.  We also had that storm in October that could have damaged some external wires.  I have seen the Xfinity truck in the area but I do not know what is being done and if it is temporary or there needs to be some updates.  What is my next step?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

namcq

You should attempt to contact Comcast support and they need to send out a tech to troubleshoot your signal issues which can be with your drop cable, outside fittings and other coaxial cable issues.  The tech will have the proper test equipment to find and fix the issue, or he will escalate it to the line guys if it is upstream into Comcast's RF portion of the plant.

New Visitor
walt335

I'm having the same problem, however it's not on all channels.  HD ABC Network.  I can go to non-high def channel and the problem is not there.  Location is Monument Beach, Cape Cod.

Contributor
joedom7

the tech needs to install a signal booster inside your house

i had the exact same problems and thats how the tech fixed it.no more problems ever since

u are having a poor signal coming into your house

New Visitor

Happens to us too. The Comcast folks used to come out for free,now they charge. I just wait through and it comes back after 10-15 minutes. But very annoying. Especially as I work, and they never fix it. 

Thank goodness we have Netflix and the Internet is good.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Chrdan,

It's best not to jump on a 5 month old thread as your problem may differ. There is no charge for a tech visit if the problem is on the Comcast side. Check your connections, clean and tight. No unnecessary splitters, good cables. Power cycle the box.If that does not work, get a tech visit. You don't have to tolerate your signal breaking up.

New Visitor

Thanks, hmm. They did charge me last time a hefty fee. The tech was local and gave good service. He looked at everything. As I don't watch often I didn't know that it was still happening until the Olympics came on. 

I don't know a thing about threads.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

If Comcast came and fixed YOUR equipment, then they have every right to charge you. They have set rates for a service call. They do have a history of charging incorrectly tho. 

Bottom line, your service can and should work correctly.

Never mind the thread thing, it's all good.

New Visitor

Yeah, we'll at least I know I am not alone when I read that others have this mysterious problem. I did make a call, but I do work at a job where I barely go to the restroom so work days are thought to call folks.  I looked at all the hookups and turned everything on and off. With the sound off at least I don't have to hear the annoying click.

And the steaming on my iPad has been great.