New Visitor
TylerRasmusson
Accepted Solution

HD Service cost question.

My household used to have 3 tv's. 1 is a 42" HDTV and the other 2 were 32" standard tv's. We recently upgraded one of our 32" standard tv's to a HDTV. We have been paying for the HD service on our main 42" tv, but our new 32" HDTV doesn't have HD service.

My question is do we need to pay for HD per tv, or does the cost cover every tv? I know we need a different box for our new HDTV, but will it cost more?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: HD Service cost question.

In many markets you pay one HD technology fee and it covers all full boxes on the account.  There might be a few Comcast markets that are still charging the higher HD per box charge.

If your statement shows HD technology fee which is about $9 or 10 a month then your on the new pricing.  Any full SD box on the account can be swapped out for a HD box at the same fee.  DTA's, the small basic digital adapters are not part of this pricing.

Some Triple Play packages include this HD fee.

Because different Comcast markets have different pricing nad policies, there is not one answer for everyone.  Take the SD box and remote to the local office for a swap and ask them.

New Visitor
TylerRasmusson

Thanks for your help! I'll hopefully be exchanging my box sometime next week.

Visitor

We had to have a separate HD box for our two TV's and it cost extra for each one. I think it is 8.99 per box per month which is crazy.

Recognized Contributor
halfband

TerriJean wrote:

We had to have a separate HD box for our two TV's and it cost extra for each one. I think it is 8.99 per box per month which is crazy.

In areas that charge the HD technology fee each SD or HD box is charged around 8.99.  The HD fee allows you to upgrade all your SD boxes (excluding DTAs) to HD boxes at no charge beyond the single HD fee.  These areas have almost universally changed to encrypted digital service so a box of some kind is required to receive anything except maybe a few local stations, even on digital cable ready TV sets.