New Visitor

HD adapter

I understand that an HD adapter is available free of charge. is this true and where to we get one for our second tv?

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Re: HD adapter

There is an HD DTA in the works, but it is not expected to be put out until Comcast engrypts all channels (including basic)..

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

If your second TV is not an HDTV set (or even if it is) the link below should be able to assist:

https://digitalnow.comcast.com/

EDIT: Any TV set not connected to a Comcast cable box or a DTA (Digital Transport Adaptor) from Comcast may not be able to view all subscribed video channels (from Comcast) after a certain date. Dates and channels available may vary by market.  

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

ComcastTeds wrote:

If your second TV is not an HDTV set (or even if it is) the link below should be able to assist:

Any TV set not connected to a Comcast cable box or a DTA (Digital Transport Adaptor) from Comcast won't be able to view video services from Comcast after a certain date. Dates vary by market.  

Are you saying that Comcast has received approval from the FCC to encrypt all channels (even the locals in the "limited basic" package)?  And if they have, why aren't we seeing information on when this will happen, so we can plan our switch to OTA?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

edpeters wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

Any TV set not connected to a Comcast cable box or a DTA (Digital Transport Adaptor) from Comcast won't be able to view video services from Comcast after a certain date. Dates vary by market.  

Are you saying that Comcast has received approval from the FCC to encrypt all channels (even the locals in the "limited basic" package)?  And if they have, why aren't we seeing information on when this will happen, so we can plan our switch to OTA?

I am not saying that, I was addressing the OP's question more broadly. I will edit my response to be more accurate. Thanks for pointing that out.

You can certainly use OTA (Over the Air) today if you have an antenna, the right TV or an OTA digital converter box that you can buy at retail. Reception (and available channels) will vary based on terrain, the signal strength of your local broadcast TV station and other factors.  

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

By the right tv do you mean that some areas stil can connect a digital tuner tv direct to the cable and receive Limited Basic channels?

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

commanguy wrote:

By the right tv do you mean that some areas still can connect a digital tuner TV direct to the cable and receive Limited Basic channels?

Indeed, until the FCC approves Comcast to encrypt Limited Basic channels (hopefully that will never happen!) you should be able to plug Comcast Cable directly into a TV (or other Tuner) that is capable of receiving QAM unencrypted signals.  If Comcast is allowed to encrypt those local channels then we would lose that ability!  Note:  These types of TVs and Tuners normally receive OTA digital signals just fine..

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

edpeters wrote....(hopefully that will never happen!)

I Agree!