New Visitor

HD cable box with HDMI connection - How do I get one?

How do I get a HD cable box with HDMI connectivity from Comcast. Tried calling customer service. They were unable to confirm if the their service centers had any in stock. So drove an hour to their location only to find out that they do not have them in stock. They were unsure when they would get any etc. This is very frustrating. What is the easiest way to get one? Does any comcast rep monitor these forums?

Thanks

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: HD cable box with HDMI connection - How do I get one?

The Comcast forum administrator has been informed.  (You might consider using an HDMI/DVI adapter.)
Official Employee
ComcastBillG

escalating
William Gerth
Comcast Help Forums Administrator
william_gerth@cable.comcast.com
New Visitor

Thanks for the response. 

I already had the HDMI to DVI connected but it did not work well with the new Onkyo receiver I got. The receiver documentation says it might not work. Hence the request for a HDMI box.

Anyway, two things happened.

I got a call from the service center that I had visited previously. They had an HDMI box to give. Picked it up and installed it. Everything is fine now. 

After this was all done, I got a call from Comcast asking if they could mail me a HDMI box. Did not expect that. Good customer service.

Thanks

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Great!  :smileycool:
Contributor

Wow!  Looks like you were successful in getting an HDMI Cable Box by submitting your Question on this Forum!  Can I get the same assistance and prompt customer service???

My husband and I were so excited last weekend when we finally bit the bullet and made a rather large investment in our first HD TV...however, this excitement quickly turned to disappointment and then frustration after making two trips so far to the local Comcast Service Center to trade in our old Comcast non-HD Box for an HD Ready Box....we were told the HDMI Boxes were unavailable (our name was placed on a waiting list?), but were given another HD Capable Box.  Took this box home....after going through the set up process and an hour into watching our new HD Channels.....the cable box crashed!  Took that one back in and was given an even older model....Explorer 3100HD....This one "works"...but I am frustrated with the delay or lag in the channel transitioning while switching between HD channels, when using the "info" button, the information line flashes up and the pictures disappears....but more importantly the text on the Guide and the info lines as well as some wording in the actual picture appears to be blurry or "smudged"....almost appears as if "someone touched the ink before it dried"...lol....  maybe this is all normal for viewing HD TV...but I hope not. The other big issue is that our new TV has numerous HDMI input connections available, but we ended up having to use the only component connections to hook it up to the NON HDMI Comcast Cable box.....so, now we can not hook up our DVD (no HDMI cable) to the TV.....so, now I can not play my Grandson's DVD's we he is visting. Although, the actual HD picture is very clear, I feel as if we have gone backwards in the overall television/cable experience.

Summarizing...I am hopeful that my problems outlined above will be remedied when our name comes up on the list and we are finally "awarded" an HDMI cable box.  But honestly, I am concerned about when or if we will be able to obtain one AND will these problems go away?  I would not mind waiting if I felt confident that the "waiting list" is being fairly and quickly honored. 

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

The Comcast forum administrator has been informed.
Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

hello,

i am looking into this now jil

George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator
Contributor

Cool!  I appreciate any help you can give....
Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

happy to do so.
George Lunski
Contributor

Great customer service response!

Thank you!  I received my new HDMI cable box yeaterday..... Now, we can truly begin enjoying our new HDTV....and all it has to offer ....thanks to Comcast and the customer service people who care!  Thanks to everyone who monitors this forum and to Rusty in Baltimore!

I have never tried this route for solving as problem.  I have to admit, I generally just remain frustrated until I can't stand it anymore...this forum is a great idea!  More businesses, especially service businesses like Comcast should offer this service and TRULY monitor it, hear their customers issues and work on a solution.....some businesses might offer the "forum", but do not follow through!

Great Job!

Regular Contributor

I wish I could find one as well.  I have been to two different Comcast locations and each told me that they do not have any and that its hit or miss to find one.  Plus you find this out after you have waitied in line for 30 - 45 minutes.
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Contributor

Also struggling to find a box with HDMI. I stopped in two locations and they had nothing. I asked if I could call in to location and ask if they had any, before making the trek in. I was told they don't answer phones here and I should stop in next month and maybe they would have one. This is already frustrating and although I would hate to give up my cable, I am looking into an alternative.

Any help or advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

nlswa wrote:

Also struggling to find a box with HDMI. I stopped in two locations and they had nothing. I asked if I could call in to location and ask if they had any, before making the trek in. I was told they don't answer phones here and I should stop in next month and maybe they would have one. This is already frustrating and although I would hate to give up my cable, I am looking into an alternative.

Any help or advice would be welcome.

Thanks

elyse in our regional office has not been able to reach you. she has emailed you today. is there a best contact number to reach you at? please send via pm or email.

thank you.

George Lunski
Regular Visitor

I would really like to get one as well. When I got my first HDTV 2 years ago, I drove to the local Comcast service center, picked up an HD box, brought it home and hooked it up with an HDMI cable. No problem.

Last week I was finally able to afford an HDTV for the bedroom. I drove over to local Comcast service center and exchanged the digital box for an HD box. I brought it home and started hooking it up, and imagine my surprise when I saw there was no HDMI output! So, first thing this morning I took it back and asked for a box with HDMI output. I was told they were out of them. I asked when they might get some, but the woman didn't know. I asked if I could get on a waiting list or be notified when they got one. She said "we don't do waiting lists, you'll just have to try back". I asked if I could call, and was told they don't answer calls, and have to come in and check.

Seems like a lot of hassle just to get current technology, what should be standard given what we pay. I believe the op of this thread said that Comcast offered to mail them a box. That would be great! Although I actually don't mind going to pick it up, if they could just let me know when they have one instead of making me go by there to check.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Wavey -- the Comcast forum administrator has been informed.
Regular Visitor

Thanks for your help.
New Visitor

Just wanted to ask how I can get an HDMI box as well.  It seems to be an ongoing problem that's been going on for years.  Why is it taking so long to to get more of these boxes in?  With the amount of money we pay for the service, its an absolute joke that we can't get the latest equipement to support a technology that has now been out for 5 years.  Comcast needs to get their act together fast. 
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

lmlucatino -- the Comcast forum administrator has been informed.
Visitor

Please add my voice to the chorus - I would also like to upgrade to an HDMI capable box, thank you.

New Visitor

Can I get Comcast to send me a HD DVR Cable Box with HDMI? 

I will return my older non-DVR, non-HDMI box upon receipt.

Thanks.

Contributor

I got the new box and cable. Thanks for the help.
Visitor

Thanks, I was able to get an HDMI box last Thursday.  Apparently there are very few left in the field and the newer style boxes will be coming out by the end of this year. 
Contributor

Hello,

I would really like to get an HDMI box as well. When I went into Comcast the other day they told me they didn't have any and instead they had to give me a large box I can't hide behind my TV. Thank you.

New Visitor

I am also looking for an HDMI box, the service person i spoke to said to go to my local comcast office however I do not know where it is as the one down the street has closed.
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Your local service center can be found at this link.

http://www.comcast.com/customers/contactus/paymentcenter/locatepaymentcenter.ashx

If either of you are around Chicago & suburbs, please post back, as there is an alternative source.

Contributor

I am in the Sacramento area not, Chicago. I went to the Natomas service center.
New Visitor

Are there HD cable boxes available now?  I currently have a set top box, but not one with an HDMI slot.  Thanks for any feedback!
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Availability of HDMI boxes varies widely by region.

Stop by your local office and check.  By us they usually have a sign on the door when they are out.  The Christmas rush for HDMI boxes is over, and you might luck out.  It's always bad in January for new boxes.

Contributor

Anyone had any luck getting a Pace box in the Sacramento area?
Regular Visitor

Same problem in Reading, PA.  Walked in with a HDMI DVR that needed to be replaced, and walked out with a component version.  I was told to check back next month because there are no DVR's left that had HDMI.   I just wish there was an easier way than checking back every so often.
Visitor

[ Edited ]

Hey, me too!  Here's my story:

When I first signed up for Comcast they were just making the transition over to a new kind of Motorola cable box, and I got one of the old ones that doesn't have an HDMI port.  I didn't care at the time because my TV set was a cheapo off-brand HDTV that wasn't HDMI capable anyway.  Just last month that TV kicked the bucket, so I got a good deal on a new set that does support HDMI.  Thus my intention to get a new cable box.

So I live in Wallingford, CT which is a half-hour drive from Connecticut's main service center in Branford.  However, I work in Middletown, which is a 5-minute drive from another Comcast service center in Middletown.  I actually went there last year to replace a remote that stopped working.  Yesterday I tried to call the Middletown office to see if they have any HDMI cable boxes.  The phone number listed on Comcast's website for all the CT offices is the general 800-COMCAST number.  I called & the CSR said she'd call the Middletown office to see if they had any in stock.  She told me they did, so I went down there with my current cable box after work today.  When I got there, they told me they really aren't even supposed to have ANY Motorola cable boxes (they have some other brand I've never heard of), and only keep a couple around "just in case."  They weren't HDMI units.  They said I'd have to go to Branford and see if they have any in stock.  I asked if I could call the Branford office directly, and was told "No, you can only call the 800 number, and they'll call for you."  I told her how Comcast said they would have the cable box I wanted in stock..."Sorry!"  They said the reason no one's allowed to call the service centers is because it would be rude for the staff to answer the phone while they're helping customers in line.  I don't blame the staff at the service center, but is it any less rude to lie to your customers?  Or inconvience them by making them gamble on whether or not the hardware they want will be available?

It was just a minor inconvience today, but I'd be really upset if I drove all the way down to Branford only to find out they don't have what I need.  Is there any way someone could confirm they have an HDMI cable box down there before I go?  I plan on making the trip next Wednesday, 6/2.  Any help would be appreciated.

Contributor

Same problem here.  Used chat to see if I could get one of the HDMI boxes.  I was told I could just go to my local office and they didn't have any, said they weren't getting any anytime soon and that I could just use the component hook-up.

Why would I want to not use the best output to take full advantage if my upgraded cable and new HDTV.  Was very disappointed to spend my entire lunch hour to take care of this for no reason.  I don't understand why there is such a lack of these boxes in almost every market.  It's very frustrating to have to drive all the way, especially when there are no local numbers posted on the site so you can call first.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Exquizite2 -- The Comcast forum administrator has been informed.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

We will look into this and circle back to you.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
Contributor

Thanks for responding. I did get an email from one if the local offices regarding my concerns. I'm still waiting to hear back, but as a customer, I appreciate the follow-up.
Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

You're quite welcome!

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
New Visitor
hugh2010

New Visitor
hugh2010

I came to a service center but to only got an old box with no hdmi. I called customer service, one agent said most boxes are not hdmi. Another agent said service center has it. What should I do? I don't want to drive 1hr and another 45 mins in the line and come back empty. Please let me know how to get it? I've been with Comcast for many years and this is my first hd tv. Thanks.
New Visitor
jmbal

I was wondering how to get an hdmi compatible dvr as well. The Motorola dvr I've had for over a year is alright, but been waiting for upgraded ones to be available. the current one I have has trouble working with my audio receiver and hdtv since it doesn't come with hdmi capability. Thanks
Visitor
JoeYork

I just bought a new HD Plasma TV and need to replace my current cable box with a new HDMI box.  What is the best way to get one?

Visitor
JoeYork

Was able to exchange at a service center.

New Visitor

Also having the same problem, need an HDMI box for my new TV

New Visitor
Papsman

Hi All,

Same issue here, I need to change to a HDMI capable box to accommodate my new Receiver. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

New Visitor

I've received a HDTV for Christmas and got a HDMI box from Comcast (the old, silver box) and over the weekend, there was noticable lag between the controller and the box.  I couldn't even enter a 3 digit channel because the box took so long to recognize that I was entering more numbers.  It would always take me to the On Demand channel.  Then yesterday the box finally died.  Called the 800 Comcast number and said they would credit me the $7.95 for the month since the box is dead.  I would really like to get the newer style HDMI box that they have out now.  My mom has one and its such a noticable difference in performance than the older style.  I'm willing to wait for one if it means not having to constantly drive to the customer service center(Mt.Prospect,IL) once a week to see if they have one. $150+ a month for cable fees is getting a bit hard to swallow for mediocre equipment.

New Visitor
knight6977

Re: HD cable box with HDMI connection - How do I get one also??

New Visitor
Flashpaw

I am in Houston, Tx and need 3 Cable boxes with HDMI connections. I am also wondering when Wi Fi enabled boxes might be available. Thanks Paul
Visitor
djm424

What is the latest version of HD cable box with HDMI connection?