Regular Contributor

HD channels and digital transport adapters

Currently, I am receiving Fox HD, CBS HD, and other main networks on channels 98.3, 98.104, etc by simply running coaxial cable from wall to RF input on HDTV. These HD channels look great.

We have been informed that starting at the end of November, we will be be needing the digital transport adapters in order to receiver ANY channels above 26. I knew this was coming and I have picked up my 2 free adapters. I hooked one up to an older CRT TV in the basement and it works great.

I'm holding off to hook up a transport adapter to the HDTV cause I had a question about these current HD channels. What is gonna happen to these network HD channels once the digital transition fully goes into effect? Will I essentially be losing ch 98.103, 98.3, etc? Or will they possibly be moved to somewhere below ch26?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: HD channels and digital transport adapters

You won't receive any HD channels via the DTA.  You can continue to receive them by splitting the incoming cable and using a switch to feed the cable directly to the TV when you wish to view the HD channels.  Alternatively you can pay more and get a box with an HD tuner.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK, so essentially when I don't use a DTA and go directly from the wall jack to the RF input on the TV,  I will get ch2-26, but then it will jump up to the odd channel numbers (like 73.1, 98.3, 98.104, etc)  for the HD material, correct?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

The DTA is to enable you to receive the expanded basic channels, which will be encrypted.  If you're only interested in the local channels (the ones you call 2-26) then you don't need the DTA at all, since the TV tuner will receive them in addition to the HD channels.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK, but my real question in concerning the basic HD cable channels I was receiving without any kind of box (DTA or converter). Will I then lose ANY channels above 26 for the HDTV when the full digital transition takes place? No more local HD networks at ch 98.104, 73.10, 98.3, etc., right? Or will I get these local HD channels WITHOUT any kind of box (DTA or converter)?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

[ Edited ]

You should still be able to receive the local HD channels you have now, although Comcast has been known to move them around.