New Visitor
Wizard4169

HD receiver question

I just switched to digital service a couple of weeks ago.  Everything was working fine until Tuesday, when my HD channels stopped working.  All I got was a screen reading "This channel has moved".  I tried Comcast's Live Chat for more information, but wasn't able to get any answers that made a whole lot of sense.  If I understood the response at all, the problem was that I'm not subscribed to HD service and only a glitch in the system was allowing me to receive these channels previously. 

Assuming that was correct, I would need to add HD service.  The extra fee is bad enough, but I keep running into claims that I'll need an HD receiver, although once again I can't seem to get a sensible answer as to why.  I'm currently using an HTPC with a CableCARD tuner card.  (Had to pay for a service visit to get the CableCARD, although the tech had never seen such an animal before and I ended up doing all the work anyway, but that's another rant.)  I suppose my question is, can I just pay the monthly "HD Technology fee" and get my HD channels back with my current hardware?  Or do I actually need an extra HD receiver for something?  Any information anyone could provide would be appreciated.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: HD receiver question

[ Edited ]

To get HD on a set top box or DVR, you need both a HD box and the HD activation on your account.  In many area's that is the "HD technology fee" or included in many higher end triple play packages.  Other area's are still on the "each HD box costs more than a SD box" pricing plan.

You will need to call Comcast for exact pricing in your area.  If you want to share the model of your set top box, then we can tell you if it is HD or SD.

There are certainly times where subscribers are getting channels they are not paying for and an audit finds the issue.  SD boxes can't tune in HD channels because they don't know what a HD video signal is.

New Visitor
Wizard4169

Okay, maybe I wasn't very clear.  I do not have a set top box.  What I'm asking is, why would I need one?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]

I take it by your original posting you meant you lost the local Over the Air HD feeds? If that is the case have you tried a channel re-scan of your tv to see if you can get them back? Sometimes Comcast shifts the frequencies at the headend(from what I have read in the forums) and a re-scan is needed. This would only affect the HD channels that are in the Limited Basic tier.

For any HD channels above Limited Basic a HD box is needed at the extra cost. Channels above Limited Basic have been encrypted in the Digital Migration and require a box to be viewable whether in SD or HD.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck

New Visitor
Wizard4169

No, that's not what I meant.  I was receiving HD channels including not only local broadcast channels but most of the channels in my package (digital starter).  All of my HD channels, including local broadcast channels, have stopped working.  Mutliple re-scans have done nothing to correct this.

My current tuner/DVR is a PC using a TV tuner card.  The card is HD capable, and accepts a CableCARD.  I don't use a set top box, and never have.  It's my understanding that the CableCARD is what determines what channels I have access to, depending on the channel map that Comcast sends it.  I will (however reluctantly) pay the "HD technology fee" if this will get me my HD channels back.  I will not, however, use a set top box under any circumstances.  I don't want one, and no one has been able to explain why on earth I would need one. 

I understand that my choice of hardware is a little unusual, but I can't quite figure out why no one seems to understand what I'm asking.  What am I failing to explain here?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

The Comcast forum administrator has been informed.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

In Northern Illinois, cable card subscribers need to have the HD technology fee on their account to get HD on cable card equipment.  No HD Tech Fee, no HD.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

[ Edited ]

This seems to be an account coding problem. Can you please share the telephone number on your account and a link to this thread via email?

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin