Bronze Star Contributor

HDMI Cable from my HD-DVR to my Sony LCD TV

[ Edited ]
Am I correct in saying that I need a HDMI Male to Male cable to replace the huge composite cable provided with my new HD-DVR? Or do I need additional cables also? My HD-DVR is a Motorola DCH3416.
Message Edited by joelw135 on 01-07-2009 01:38 PM
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: HDMI Cable from my HD-DVR to my Sony LCD TV

[ Edited ]
That's correct, if you wish to switch to HDMI the single HDMI cable will replace the 3 component video connectors and the 2 audio connectors.  No other connection is necessary, since HDMI provides both video and audio.
Message Edited by WarEagle57 on 01-07-2009 01:53 PM
Bronze Star Contributor

Thanks, now I just have to order one, which is no problem. I read that some people have had sound problems switching to HDMI. So I might just watch those threads then order.
Recognized Contributor

Not just sound issues but also on the video side. Then again you might get lucky & everything'll work fine...If your tv has an "audio via hdmi" setting (it probably does if it has hdmi ins) then you'll want to make sure that it's set to receive audio, assuming you're using your tv's speakers for sound from cable tv, and also make sure your cable box's settings are set properly as well to pass hdmi audio. Also keep your cable box's remote and/or your tv's volume control handy, you'll need it for taming those wild volume swings between hd/sd channels & for commercials. It's highly unlikely that your tv has circuits that can "volume level" digital audio levels...
Visitor

I just switched from my comonent cables to HDMI.  I notice a lag in sound when first changing channels and even a delay in switching channels. 

comcast does not certify the Motorola 3416 with HDMI but sound quality is better through the HDMI cable once it synchs (takes a couple of seconds).  I plan to keep an eye on it but cleaning up the cable jungle behind my reciever, DVD player and cable box is worth it.

Bronze Star Contributor

So far the HDMI cable is on about a week and I have not noticed any problems. I did find that adjusting the compression ratio of the 3416 helped with my volume problems.
Recognized Contributor

Interesting, I also have a 3416 & the box's compression settings didn't do anything for my volume swings via digital audio connections. In fact, they were so bad (regardless of the compression setting used) that I scrapped the digital audio & went with analog left/right stereo connections, plus an external volume leveler (incorporated into my a/v switcher)...

Even on the analog audio side, the volume swings were still too much for me regardless of the box's compression settings & I found that I needed that external volume circuit. Then again, my audio's going through an a/v receiver, I'm not using my tv's speakers for audio, so maybe those swings are more tolerable that way. Come to think of it, there was one (analog) compression setting on the 3416 that squashed the level pretty severely & that's why I didn't want to use it, I thought it killed the dynamic range of everything too much. Maybe that's working for some in controlling the average levels...

Visitor

How did you get at the 3416's settings?  The setup button on the remote doesn't bring up a set-up menu.  I've adjusted everything that can be adjusted on the AVR and TV. 

Thanks

Bronze Star Contributor

I am using the TV's speakers and I hit the menu button twice on the DVR remote which brought up the settings menu, then choose audio settings. As I switched the different compression settings the volume went from extremely low to execsively high. I selected the light setting.
Recognized Contributor

Yes, I think that "Light" compression setting was the one that squashed the analog audio. I found myself having to crank up my a/v amp's master volume to about 5-10 notches higher than before on most programs to get the same output level as with the other two settings, and I thought it sounded "flat", like all the dynamic range was gone. Again, didn't do anything for me at all via the digital coax audio connection...But it might work for you
Bronze Star Contributor

I am sure I will be tweaking my settings as time goes by. I understand that there is a problem with Comcast DVR and certain setups, but I assume that is being addressed.
Bronze Star Contributor

After extensive checking I find that there is a definate problem with the Motorola DCH3416 and HDMI cables. I have found that there is a total lose of sound for a period of time and at no particular time. The only way to get sound back is to change the channel then return to program being watched. This is a major bug in the DCH3416.
Regular Contributor

I've found that lost sound can be restored by hitting the quick replay button.  At least that's how it works with recorded programs, which is all I watch.

It should work with live TV because if you're watching, it's being recorded to the buffer.

Bronze Star Contributor

Which is the quick replay button?
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

It's the curved arrow just to the left of the "My DVR" button.
Bronze Star Contributor

Thanks, I will try that.