Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

HDMI Problem with Sony Receiver

I have the Sony DG820 receiver and the Motorola DCX3400 cable box.  I have an HMDI cable going from the cable box to the receiver, then from the receiver out to my Samsung DLP (which is 1080p).  I set the cable box to 16:9, 1080i, and 480p (4:3 overide).  This stays like this for a few days, but then the cable box is downgraded to 720p versus 1080i.  I don't know how or why the Motorola box downgrades itselt to 720p, when I saved it at 1080i.  I've tried Native, but still goes to 720p.

Does anyone know how to fix this.  Why would the cable box automatically downgrade itself to 720p when it was set at 1080i?  Comcast tells me to have a tech come out or swap the box, but I think there is more to the story.

Please help.

Regular Problem Solver

Re: HDMI Problem with Sony Receiver

It shouldn't change its settings unless there's something wrong with the box.

Regular Contributor

Have you or anyone else seen this problem? Do you think I should swap out the box?
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

I'm not familiar with the DCX boxes, but if the DCX3400 has the capability to output native resolution (which my DCT3416 doesn't have) then the 720p output should result when it's set to native and the selected station is producing 720p.  It's possible that there is a problem with the system (firmware or software) that results in native output all the time or an even more serious problem that causes the selection to switch.  Have you noticed if the output changes when you switch between 1080i and 720p sources?

I'll report this to a Comcast administrator to see if there are any such known problems.

Regular Contributor

It seems to happen when powering on for the first time, after switching from the FM Tuner (on the receiver), or from another video/audio source.  I've tried all combinations of settings, but it eventually switches itself to 720p without warning.

Thanks for the help.

Regular Contributor

A Comcast rep called today to help resolve the problem. She gave me her direct phone and name and was very nice. Since I posted this, I turned off the "my television supports 720P" in the cable box menu, and so far, the cable box remains at 1080i and 480p overide (the way I want it). I did this by going to Native resolution and unchecked the 720p button below. I switched on/off sources/TV/Xbox/Receiver many ways and still on 1080i/480p. Hopefully, I may have solved this on my own, but need to work it for a week or so to be sure. Will let everyone know after a week goes by...
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Thanks for the update.  Please keep us posted on this, since native resolution is new to the Motorola boxes and others are likely to have the same problem if the instructions are unclear.
Regular Contributor

I will.  So far, the box is staying at 1080i/480p after being off all day.  Keep the fingers crossed.!
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

I found this manual online.  It may be of use to you.
Regular Contributor

Thanks, WarWagle.  I've already read that manual and all the troubleshooting items.  Nothing about this issue at all...

Update:  I turned on the TV this morning and the DCX3400 was once again reset to 720p/480p.  The TV/cable was off all last night and was set at 1080i/480p when we went to bed.  Turned on today and was reset to 720p/480p.  We did nothing other than turn the TV on.  This must be a DCX3400 issue.  Don't know if I should swap out the box for another or have Comcast come out and check this out.  Not sure what a tech would do that I haven't already done over the last 2-3 weeks.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
Update:  This is a Comcast and/or Motorola issue.  I spent an hour on the phone with Sony troubleshooting.  After running the HDMI cable directly to the TV (no receiver passthrough), the Motorola box still reset itself to 720p from 1080i.  Thus, this has nothing to do with the Sony receiver.  Also, I can now tell when the DCX3400 is resetting itself, since is flashes " dvi " on the screen (where the time is) in a split second.  When it flashes " dvi " it is resetting itself to 720p.  There is no information on this " dvi " code in the Motorola manuel or Comcast.  I called the Comcast rep to discuss and left a message.  Not sure if I should try a new HDMI box as perhaps this one is defective?  Any thoughts on any of this is appreciated.
Message Edited by tnbtaylor on 07-01-2009 09:07 AM
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Swapping boxes might be a good idea, especially since that would tell us (possibly) whether it's a problem with the DCX system or just that box.  Interesting that it flashes DVI, which may indicate that it's having a problem with the HDMI connection.
Recognized Contributor

This definitely sounds like a defective box, or at least a defective set of instructions (firmware). Too bad since I think a lot of us were pinning a lot of hope on these new DCX's as being better than the DCH's/DCT's...
Regular Contributor

This problem still exists, despite Comcast trying to help me and troubleshoot. 

I've contacted Motorola about potential problems with the DCX-3400 box, but they have not responded yet.  I've upgraded the firmware of my Samsung HLT-6189S.  I've also ruled out the Sony receiver as the problem, since it does it when I bypass the receiver completely.

This seems to happen when changing video or audio sources.  For instance, when I change to FM tuner while the cable box is on and then switch back to cable, the box switches itself to 720p automatically.  Or, when the xbox is switched to component, then back to HDMI.  This box just prefers 720p and resets itself whenever sources are changed for video/audio.  Very strange...

If Motorola doesn't have a fix, I will swap the box for another box and see if the problem is resolved.  If not, we'll know this is a Motorola problem that will need to be fixed if Comcast continues to sell this box to customers.

Regular Contributor

Motorola's Official Response on this problem.

[ Edited ]

UPDATE FROM MOTOROLA:

Response (Motorola Technical Support) - 07/07/2009 03:52 PM Valued Motorola Customer, Thank you for choosing Motorola. I apologize for the inconvenience you are having with your product. I understand that you are having problems with your DCX3400 switching from 1080i to 720p. I will be happy to provide information on why the box switches. The box will find what display modes your TV will support and adjust its own settings accordingly. The TV and the STB has to make a HDCP handshake anytime you change input modes or turn off your TV. The only way to get around the problem of HDCP forcing your STB or (Set-Top-Box) to display at 720p is to use component cable which will still support up to a 1080p signal. Component cable does not use HDCP like HDMI does to establish an audio/video connection between your STB and your TV. Please visit our web site at http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/support/default.asp to access your user guide and frequently asked questions about your product. Sincerely, John Motorola Technical Support

Message Edited by tnbtaylor on 07-07-2009 06:58 PM
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Motorola's Official Response on this problem.

Hmm.  That seems pretty consistent with what I said -- "Interesting that it flashes DVI, which may indicate that it's having a problem with the HDMI connection".
Recognized Contributor

This official esponse is bogus & to me totally unacceptable, if I'm reading it correctly. Unfortunately it's also not surprising given that it's a Motorola box. When will Comcast wake up & break their relationship with this manufacturer & start using someone who can actually produce proper HDMI converters?

What this seems to be saying is that they haven't figured out a way for this box to stop reverting back to 720p output, even if your set is 1080i/p & you selected the 1080i output option, whenever the HDCP handshake has to be reestablished via HDMI. Their "fix" is to tell users to use component connects. This is at least as bad as Comcast rolling out HDMI boxes & then telling users that they don't support HDMI issues. If this was their idea of solving those HDMI problems then better staff up your support centers, you're gonna need 'em when this box gets rolled out to everyone. And how many users will this impact? How about every single one, who doesn't turn off their tv at least once a day?

All I can say is hopefully this isn't the whole story & this "fix" only applies to certain situations, but doesn't sound that way...

Regular Contributor

But it doesn't make sense to me.  Really, no sense at all.  Why does it change to an inferior setting?  Why buy a 1080p Tv when Comcast changes the signal to 720p at best!  I never had this problem with the older grey box with a DVI/HDMI conversion cable.  It was the same Tv too. 

I would expect the STB to just stay at its settings without automatically changing from 1080i to 720p.

Does anyone know what can be done to change the STB to not do this?  Is it possible or is this just a handshake that has to happen.

Recognized Contributor

You have to understand what's involved with the HDCP handshake process (warning: it's not a simple process). Just google it & start reading, there are quite a few steps involved...

It's almost certainly possible for Motorola to address this (assuming that it's a real issue) via firmware upgrades. After all this code contains the instruction set that tells the hardware how to function. It's very unlikely that this problem is hardware-based (such as a faulty HDMI output jack). Maybe they will in the future, but it's very disappointing that: 1) they would roll out this type of hardware knowing that there are HDMI issues 2) their response to their customers is to not use HDMI & 3) Comcast would accept these boxes & issues (and presumably start rolling them out) given their prior negative experiences with Motorola boxes re: HDMI...

Regular Contributor

Here is an updated and ridiculous response from Motorola:

Response (Motorola Technical Support) 07/09/2009 02:01 PM  Valued Motorola Customer,

I apologize for the confusion.

The HDCP handshake between the DCX unit and the TV is causing the DCX unit to revert to the 720p setting. This is done through auto-negotiation through the HDMI cable. When using the Component cable connection, there is no two way traffic. This prevents the unit from automatically changing the settings. From my information Component connections are capable of 1080p connections, however, it is not supported by this unit. If you use the component connections and set the Y Pb Pr Output to 1080i in the menu, you will be able to view the HD programming from your provider without the unit downgrading the signal to 720p as it is doing now.

Sincerely,

Manuel
Motorola Broadband Technical Support
Regular Contributor

This is the problem!!!

After troubleshooting this with Comcast, Sony, and Samsung, I have narrowed this issue down to just one problem.    It took some time, but this is the only issue I am having with this STB.

Here is the issue:  When I change the receiver to FM Tuner to listen to the radio and I turn the Samsung off and the Motorola STB off, the Motorola flashes “DVI” (or maybe “DUI”).  It is at that moment when it flashes “DVI”, the STB reverts from 1080i to 720p automatically.  This 720p setting (with 4:3 override changed to “off”) is the “default” setting with this STB.  The audio settings that I selected (“Pass Though”) are also reset to “Auto”, which is the default audio setting.  In essence, the STB is changed to default factory settings when I listen to the radio.

It is my opinion, that when switching the Sony to FM Tuner, the HDMI/HDCP handshake is terminated or interrupted and this reverts the STB back to 720p and “tells” the STB to go back to default settings.   The default settings on this STB are 16:9, 720p, 4:3 override “off”.

I think Motorola should come out with a firmware upgrade that will force this STB to always stay on the user selected settings, versus going back to default settings.  My older HDMI/DVI STB never changed its settings. 
Recognized Contributor

Re: This is the problem!!!

This is very good news since this isn't the problem that you originally reported, which would have been more severe. Most users don't turn their STB's off very frequently & in fact it's recommended to leave them on. Turning it off when listening to the receiver's radio doesn't get you anything. Good to know though that the box defaults back to 720p/Auto Audio when it loses power. It may result from this model not having a nonvolatile memory to store the user settings during a power outage, and if so a firmware upgrade won't address this...Does this issue also happen when you leave the STB & the tv on & then switch the receiver to FM? How about when you leave the box on & only turn off the tv & receiver?
Regular Contributor

Does this issue also happen when you leave the STB & the tv on & then switch the receiver to FM?

Yes, it seems when the instant the receiver is changed to FM Tuner, the STB flashes "DVI" and it goes to 720p/Auto. 

How about when you leave the box on & only turn off the tv & receiver?

Same as above.  The STB reverts in this scenario as well.

I even tried the output as "Amp + TV" on the receiver, but it still does the same thing.

Recognized Contributor

Well that does sound like a firmware issue. If it only happened when the STB was powered off then it might be a memory retention issue. I have some components that store user settings after being powered off but that always revert to a default power-on setting when being powered up. The box via HDMI should sense the capability of the receiving component & adjust accordingly, so even if you changed the receiver's mode & that caused the box to react, it should switch back once that mode was changed back. Again, hard to believe that they wouldn't have addressed this...
Regular Contributor

Agreed, Wolf061.  Its hard to believe I've gotten no intelligent response from Motorola or Comcast to date. 

Motorola has not yet responded to my latest post ("This is the problem" post).  Given their prior responses (posted here), I'm sure to get the useless "use component cable" solution.  That is no solution at all.  I want to use HDMI and they need to come up with a firmware upgrade that Comcast can push through to my STB.  Otherwise, don't bother produding these boxes anymore. 

Comcast has no idea what to do with this problem.  Granted they call back and follow-up, but there are no solutions to the problem at hand.

Regular Contributor

Another Motorola response (no help)

[ Edited ]
Motorola Customer,

I apologize that our responses have not resolved your concerns. I understand that when connecting HDMI from your DCX3400-M to your A/V Receiver, and then to your TV, you are having problems with the DCX3400 changing settings.

The HDMI auto-negotiates the best connection between the devices. You stated that everything works fine when connected directly to the TV, so the TV is telling the DCX unit that 1080p is the best connection type. Since you are having a problem with the settings changing when you turn off the A/V Reciever, it appears that the receiver is telling the box that 720p is the best connection type. The units will auto-negotiate the setting any time that they are power cycled.

I have seen this issue a couple of times previously. Those customers were able to find a menu in the A/V Receiver that changed its default connection type to the 1080. Please check your menu settings, or contact your A/V receiver manufacturer to see if they are able to change the default HDMI setting from 720p to 1080p.

I will be happy to submit your suggestion regarding freezing the user settings rather than auto-negotiating for the best settings. I will pass this to the correct department. In the meantime, all of our HDMI compatible set top boxes do auto-negotiate to find the best settings.

Sincerely,

Dayna
Operations Manager
Motorola Technical Support
Message Edited by tnbtaylor on 07-16-2009 04:36 AM
Recognized Contributor

Re: Another Motorola response (no help)

Still doesn't make complete sense to me. The auto-negotiation via HDMI is pretty much industry-standard, don't know why they're talking about "freezing" the user settings. Any device acting as an HDMI repeater would be expected to send its status to the originating device as well as to the receiving device, as well as receiving status data from both...

They also only addressed the situation of you turning off the receiver, not the add'l issue of the same thing happening when changing input modes. So their response about the receiver reverting back to 720p & that being the result of a default resolution setting in the receiver would only make sense in the power-off scenario. It's worth checking this, to make sure that the receiver's default output resolution is set to 1080p not 720p, but you've probably already checked this...

Regular Contributor

I agree. I've looked quite closely at the Sony manual and there are no settings for any resolutions at all. Nothing for 1080i, 1080p, 720p, or anything else. Why would a receiver have a HD setting, it passes though HDMI, it passes the DCX output to the TV input. There are no HD settings on this receiver. They have dodged all my inquiries and have been no help at all. They really didn't address the input switching at all. This problem never happens by switching off the receiver or DCX or TV. It only happens when switching to something other than video (FM tuner, etc). I wish someone could fix this.
Regular Contributor

ANOTHER RESPONSE FROM MOTOROLA: 

Subject

---------------------------------------------------------------

Need Help with DCX3400

Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------------

Response (Motorola Technical Support) - 07/15/2009 04:21 PM

Motorola Customer,

I apologize that my response was not clear.  When I stated "I will be happy to submit your suggestion regarding freezing the user settings rather than auto-negotiating for the best settings."   It was in response to your comment stating "I think Motorola should come out with a firmware upgrade that will force this STB to always stay on the user selected settings, versus going back to default settings.  My older HDMI/DVI STB never changed its settings."

I will be happy to submit this product feedback to the Product Team.  However, in the meantime, none of our units are designed to allow user selected settings to override the auto-negotiation.

I did look over the user guide on your Sony Receiver, and do see that there are no settings for resolution in this particular unit.

You also question why I mentioned power cycling, or turning units off.  You state "This problem never happens by switching off the receiver or DCX or TV. It only happens when switching to something other than video (FM tuner, etc). Not sure why you mention power cycling anything. I never said this happened during power cycling.  It happens when the video source is changed to a audio source (FM Tuner)."  However, in a previous email, you stated "When I change the receiver to FM Tuner to listen to the radio and I turn the Samsung off and the Motorola STB off, the Motorola flashes “DVI” (or maybe “DUI”).

Do you usually turn off the TV and STB when you switch to FM Tuner mode?  If so, I would like to try turning them back on in a different order, which will hopefully allow the auto-negotiation to work properly.  If you switch the receive back to video, and turn on the TV, before turning on the STB; what results do you get?  If that does not work, please turn off the receiver, and turn on the TV, before turning on the STB.  Is there any change?

I do have one request to make.  Can you please remove my last name from the AVS Forums?  I have no problem with giving it to you or any Motorola customer.  However, I would prefer that it not be posted on a public forum that can be searched through Google.

Please let me know your results of the power cycling in different orders.  In the meantime, I have submitted this to one of our engineers to see if he had any further information.

Sincerely,

Dayna

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

[ Edited ]
I have requested that a Comcast administrator remove the Motorola employee's last name from the previous post, in case you don't get it done here.  I note that it's been removed from the AVS post.
Message Edited by WarEagle57 on 07-15-2009 06:38 PM
Regular Contributor

I removed the last name here and on the AVS forum.
Recognized Contributor

Quite a few receivers allow the user to choose a default video output setting, and the better ones let you choose and save a setting for every output. For instance, if you connect your receiver to a tv with 720p native resolution, you'd probably want to specify a 720p output to match. This may not necessarily correspond to the input resolution of the device that's feeding that receiver. There are also some models that can do manipulation of HDMI input signals (even though yours doesn't), in other words they can take in a 720p HDMI signal & upconvert it for 1080p output via HDMI...
Regular Contributor

Update:  I’ve given up on Motorola and Comcast and Sony.  I swapped the the STB to the older DCT3416I.  Neither Motorola nor Comcast could solve the problems I was having.

However, the DCT3416I also reverts to default settings when switching to FM Tuner.  This default setting is 1080i with override off.  Must be something with this Sony receiver.  I must lose the handshake.  No way to change this.  But, at least the STB is defaulting to 1080i versus 720p. It’s a little aggravating that the override goes to “off” versus 480p, but I will have to live with the way it is since there are no solutions to this issue.

Thanks to all for the help with this issue.  I’m moving on…

New Visitor

I've got the same problem with the DCS3400 unit reverting to default settings; in my case 480p. 

I want it set to native and it won't stick for more than a day or two.  

This is clearly a Motorola issue: I recently moved HD service from DirecTV to Comcast. My identical home theater equipment, without the DCX3400, but with a DirecTV HD unit that I used for 18 months, could be set to 'native' in the menu, or fixed at any resolution, and it would stick.  Same TV, same receiver, same cables.  ONly difference is the use of the DCX3400 instead of the DirecTV unit.

The Motorola traffic about HDMI auto negotiation is incorrect.  I've tested this with direct connection to my HD recevier via HDMI and via component, I've tried locking the Moto DCX3400 at 720p rather than native, and tested it via HDMI and then via component.

Comcast tech cme last week and replaced the DCX3400 with a new one.   Same probelm.  This isn't a one off, it is a product bug.

Moto engineers and product managers:  Please put a menu item in the user settings menus that turns off auto negotiate HDMI

Recognized Contributor

The problem is definitely related to the communications between the DCX boxes & the repeater device (a/v receiver), at least as far as the HDMI connections are concerned. See here:  http://www.hdmi.org/installers/interoperability.aspx

This doesn't mean that there aren't other issues present, such as similar issues w/the DCX's via component connections (but for different reasons). Not sure if that's what you meant by your testing w/direct connections & via component cables, you didn't say what those outcomes were...

Also, some repeater components can't perform the HDCP handshake & verification in "real time", meaning that the source matching the component to be connected has to be set at the repeater (a/v receiver) before that source component is powered up, while other repeaters handle this fine in real time. So the power-up sequence can be an issue. That's why CC's response talked about testing the startup sequence...

Auto negotiation should sense the native resolution of the receiving end & pass that resolution over. In the computer world it's referred to as EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) that's usually transmitted by the monitor to the PC's graphics card. So if your a/v receiver is set to receive 1080i & the transmitting component is capable of that resolution & hasn't been overridden to send something else, then that's what s/b transmitted. In the case of the OP's Sony it seems that either their implementation of HDMI auto negotiation is failing to send that native resolution on a consistent basis, or the DCX box is failing to receive/use it (or both). My money's on the DCX, especially since CC admitted that: "However, in the meantime, none of our units are designed to allow user selected settings to override the auto-negotiation"...

Regular Contributor

Hello all!

Glad to see I'm not the only one with the problem with the DCX3400.  A simple solution for Moto would be to upgrade firmware to allow user settings for resolution/sound parameters to be saved and stay as saved by the user.  Seems simple to me, but not to Motorola!

Anyway, I've given in.  I have by-passed the receiver and I connect directly to the TV, so my settings always remain on 1080i as I want them to!!  Not the way I wanted it when I bought a HDMI switching receiver, but can't do it any other way!

Bye for now!

Regular Visitor

I truly wish that the DCX settings could be set in "sticky" mode. I'm using a Denon AVR and the DCX will switch from native mode to 720P for everything if I cycle through a 480i source or a 1080i source. Pleas don't mess with my Native setting. For now, bypassing the AVR but because of this I don't get the AVR menu overlay. When connected directly to my TV the mode on the DCX does not change.
Regular Contributor

archer_us wrote:
I truly wish that the DCX settings could be set in "sticky" mode. I'm using a Denon AVR and the DCX will switch from native mode to 720P for everything if I cycle through a 480i source or a 1080i source. Pleas don't mess with my Native setting. For now, bypassing the AVR but because of this I don't get the AVR menu overlay. When connected directly to my TV the mode on the DCX does not change.

I agree, but no one at Comcast or Moto will help.  Its a lost cause.  Just bypass and all is well.
Contributor

Just wanted to chime in and say that I too have/had this issue with my DCX3400 and Sony Bravia HDMI receiver.

The problem is definitely the handshake between the DCX and the TV.

I would have my DCX set to 1080i and STRETCH for 480 override.  the HDMI went from the DCX to the Sony receiver and up the to the Sony TV.  This would only work correctly if the TV was powered on first before the DCX so as to make sure it was "available" for when the DCX came online.

My wife like to listen to Music Choice channels during the day and ends up turning off just the TV so she can still get audio from the DCX through the receiver.  The second the TV is turned off, the DCX reverts to it's defaults.

I got so sick of dealing with it, and ran an HDMI cable from the DCX to the TV for video and then an optical cable from the DCX to the receiver for audio.  Haven't had the issue since.

New Visitor

Thank you all for the information and the extensive research on the problem. I have a Yamaha RX V1700 A/V receiver and have been chasing this issue for sometime as well, attempting to work with Comcast & Yamaha. I can confirm as well that it's the Comcast Motorola equipment and I've been through two of them in the hopes that the older one was faulty.  Was even ready to upgrade the Yamaha, thinking this might help.

We can only hope that Comcast and Motorola will address this issue with their installed base customers before they start switching to Direct TV, who can of course already deliver 1080P. 

Any updates or solutions welcome. 

Regular Contributor

williamsef wrote:

Thank you all for the information and the extensive research on the problem. I have a Yamaha RX V1700 A/V receiver and have been chasing this issue for sometime as well, attempting to work with Comcast & Yamaha. I can confirm as well that it's the Comcast Motorola equipment and I've been through two of them in the hopes that the older one was faulty.  Was even ready to upgrade the Yamaha, thinking this might help.

We can only hope that Comcast and Motorola will address this issue with their installed base customers before they start switching to Direct TV, who can of course already deliver 1080P. 

Any updates or solutions welcome. 

I still have this same problem, even after a recent test.  I was hoping a firmware upgrade was pushed through, but I still have the same issue as previously indicated.  Again, Comcast pretends there is no issue (or blames your receiver company) and Motorola is the most unhelpful company I've ever dealt with (they indicate the problem is part of the design).  Seems like this is a simple problem and a simple solution, but I guess not.

Regular Visitor

I have the exact same issue with my setup.  I also replied to the AVS forums thread regarding this subject.  has anyone had updates on a fix for this yet?
Regular Contributor

No, there have been no solutions to this problem as far as I know.
Recognized Contributor

The really shameful thing about this is that Comcast just rolled out these DCX boxes recently, they're supposed to be better than the older units they replaced. Sometimes I think they just have a group of monkeys locked away in a back room doing "testing", then roll out the new hardware or firmware if none of them got hurt. Seriously though, much of their testing strategy seems to be to roll the product out & then have their customers test it for them...

HDMI repeaters & associated specs have been around for a number of years. Maybe Motorola & Comcast are not aware of this. These types of issues are the reason why I'm in no hurry to replace my DCH with a newer DCX...

Regular Visitor

Looking for an update from comcast about this... this was not an issue with the DCH3416, you set it to 1080i it stayed that way, period.

I am still having to reset mine every time I turn it on because it just feels like going back to 720p.  And I refuse to put a direct HDMI cable up to my tv just to run cable directly to it.  I didnt spend thousands of dollars on a home theatre where all the components integrate with each other for "one button switching" just to have to go back to the way it was before. 

Thanks

Regular Contributor

I'm the original person with this issue. 

I still have the issue and only resolved it by running the HDMI cable directly to the TV and use a toslink for sound.  I hate this, but it is the only way.  Comcast is useless and they are incompetent, but what can you do..I've given up on Comcast and Motorola, they have no clue what they are doing.

New Visitor
boulderbuffs

I just experienced a very similar situation. We recently got 2  - DCX3400 units. 1 for the bedroom (cable box connected directly to the HDTV via HDMI cord). This box has no issues and works great.

And 1 for the living room (cable box connected to Harmon Kardon AVR 146 receiver via HDMI, and then from the HK receiver to the TV via HDMI). My audio connection was Digital Audio (Coaxial S/PDIF) from the cablebox to the HK receiver. This box has lots of issues.

For the trouble-making box, I set my preferences when the box was off and pressing the menu button setting 1080i as my preference (yes, my TV is capable of 1080i). Everything works great, and i watch great HD TV all night long and life is good, then shut off the TV & receiver (keeping the cable box on) and go to bed. In the morning, i look at the cable box and its always 5-10 minutes slow than the current time. I turn on the TV & receiver (keeping in mind i never turn off the cable box because the box doesnt record shows if its powered off) and once the TV is on, the cable box corrects its incorrect dispayed time, and the on screen guide reads only "to be announced". Its like my cable box resets itself. Im starting to think its this "handshake" issue that everyone keeps talking about. Which just seems like nonsense but perhaps a reality.

I just tried the method of connecting my box directly to the HDTV via HDMI and only using the receiver for surround sound with the Digital Audio Coaxial connection. So far so good - for sanity's sake i hope it continues. although its a bummer i can channel all my components through my receiver.

will keep you posted

New Visitor
boulderbuffs

UPDATE -

My box has not experienced ANY of the previous issues after i sent the video HDMI directly from the cable box to the back of my HDTV.

I still utilize my surround sound by sending a Digital Optical cable from the box to the receiver.

it totally works and the fix didnt cost me any time or money. But the "handshake" issue is real and messes up the box when not connected accordingly.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey All,

After a long battle, I have finally found a simple solution to this problem (I am the original poster of this issue).

I purchased the Monoprice HSP-102M HDMI Splitter Amplifier for about $35 from Monoprice.com.  I installed the splitter between my Sony Amp and my Samsung TV and now the Motorola box keeps the user defined settings!  I've tested this and it works with NO ISSUES!  Finally, this problem is resolved!  All my devices are now HDMI only with no need for optical cables!!!! 

So, I am happy to report this problem is resolved by doing the above! 

Thanks,

Tom

New Visitor
AtomicFlx

Thanks for your research on this problem Tom. I have the same problem you have. I have had the DCX box connected to my TV via HDMI for a year now and it worked ok, other than the first DCX-3400 being bad and the software and graphics for the box (menus from comcast) clearly programed in the 1980's. I recently added a new onkio TX-NR708 tuner into the mix and the box keeps resetting its resolution to 720p.

My tuner is brand new and I updated the firmware. I even set the default output resolution to 1080p and 1080i on the tuner, ive tried every setting on the DCX and I cant keep the resoltuion from returning to 720p. The one thing Ive noticed the problem is not with the receiver, because the DCX box remains in 1080i when I power on the receiver without the TV. If the TV is on first, the DCX resets to 720p as soon as the tuner is powered on. If the system is off, and I turn on the tuner first the DCX remains in 1080i until I turn on the TV.

I have also noticed, somehow the TV and DCX box are talking to each other even when the receiver is off. When I power up the TV when the tuner is off, the DCX displays DUI twice, then I power up the onkyo and the DCX does the same thing and then switches to 720p.

Given my own research I have found that problem might simply be with the HDMI standard. I think perhaps all these handshakes between the devices are the problem because, apparently no one except Apple tests devices before they are turned loose on the public.

I think I will use your advice and pickup a new device, but I think I will go with a TiVO and not an HDMI splitter. I get a cable box that works, with no advertisements in the guide, and menus that were not programed by 8 bit graphic designers in the 1980's