Contributor

HDTV BOX - Replaces Digital Box? HDMI Connection?

[ Edited ]

I just purchased an HDTV that will be delivered next week and I have a few questions, please.  

If I go to the Comcast store and pickup an HDTV Converter box and upgrade to HDTV,  do I return the standard Digital Cable Box I have and then just replace it with the HDTV Converter Box?

If so, do I then just connect the coaxial cable coming into the house to the HDTV Converter box? (I wish they would show connections in a picture somewhere on here.)

Also does the HDTV Converter Box have an HDMI Connection that I connect directly to the HDTV I have coming I just purchased? 

If that is the case, I assume ONE HDMI Cable from the HDTV Box to the new HDTV will have both picture AND sound?  

Sorry if I asked too many questions in one thread.. This is my first post....  

Message Edited by Pgapro on 05-14-2009 08:55 PM
Message Edited by Pgapro on 05-14-2009 08:57 PM
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: HDTV BOX - Replaces Digital Box? HDMI Connection?

Yes, return the standard box.

Yes, connect the coax to the HD box.

The HD cable box will have either an HDMI connector or component connectors (3 video and 2 audio).

The single HDMI cable carries both video and audio.

Contributor

Thanks for the reply..

I did find a PDF schematic of the DCT5100 HDTV Converter box on the Comcast site, but they do not show an HDMI Slot only a "DVI-HDTV" slot and of course the Y, Pb, PR connections.

Is the "DVI-HDTV" connector on the box the same connection as an HDMI Cable, do you know?

It just seems that the HDTV Boxes should have an HDMI connection, doesn't it?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

If the box has a DVI connector you can connect HDMI to it by using a DVI/HDMI adapter, but it would only carry video.  You'd also need to use separate audio connectors, just as with component.
Contributor

Cheers, Wareagle... I appreciate your replies.. I figured that is what the connections required..

Now, do you know if Comcast provides the component cables?

I can get a DVI Connector easily enough  I think locally...  

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

What Comcast provides is usually a local decision.  They gave me component cables when I first got an HD box, but that was in Seattle and 5 years ago.  I've long since replaced them with HDMI.
Regular Contributor

hi

what is HDMI

i wonder do i need to get that for my HD tivo.. I am just using the comcast wide 5 cables that was on my old tv??

thanks
Recognized Contributor

Your best bet to finding out about HDMI is to Google it. Basically it's a single digital audio & video connection from your box to the tv (or receiver/processor) that can carry HD video & full surround sound...
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

jossynana wrote:
what is HDMI

i wonder do i need to get that for my HD tivo.. I am just using the comcast wide 5 cables that was on my old tv??

See HDMI here.  You probably wouldn't notice much difference in the picture quality by replacing your current (component) connectors with HDMI.

Contributor

I was told by a Comcast rep on Live Chat that the Houston Area DOES provide HDTV boxes with an HDMI connection, you just need to make sure you ask for it when you are at the retail outlet.  

I am still waiting for my HDTV to be delivered so no sense in getting the box until I have the HDTV here at the house.

Thanks for the advice, WarEagle.. 

Recognized Contributor

You might want to check your new tv to see if it has any "lag" when it senses a resolution change from HD to SD & vice versa. My set does, and so do many others. It only affects HDMI connections (due to their digital nature), and the user manual most likely won't mention it. The best bet might be to search for known issues w/that model online, since you haven't taken possession of that tv yet. For me, even knowing about that issue wouldn't have prevented me from buying my set but it might matter more to you...

On my tv, the lag can be several seconds to the point where sometimes a "No input signal" error pops up onscreen before the set locks in on the incoming signal. I found this unacceptable due to my channel surfing habits :smileyhappy:  No such issues with component connections, which is what I'm primarily using. One workaround is to set the 4:3 Override to OFF which causes all SD programming to be converted to whichever format (720p/1080i) you chose for your HD output. So then your tv sees everything coming in as HD, but you might not like the resulting picture quality (I didn't)...

Regular Problem Solver

wolf0621 wrote:

You might want to check your new tv to see if it has any "lag" when it senses a resolution change from HD to SD & vice versa. My set does, and so do many others. It only affects HDMI connections (due to their digital nature), and the user manual most likely won't mention it. The best bet might be to search for known issues w/that model online, since you haven't taken possession of that tv yet. For me, even knowing about that issue wouldn't have prevented me from buying my set but it might matter more to you...

On my tv, the lag can be several seconds to the point where sometimes a "No input signal" error pops up onscreen before the set locks in on the incoming signal. I found this unacceptable due to my channel surfing habits :smileyhappy:  No such issues with component connections, which is what I'm primarily using. One workaround is to set the 4:3 Override to OFF which causes all SD programming to be converted to whichever format (720p/1080i) you chose for your HD output. So then your tv sees everything coming in as HD, but you might not like the resulting picture quality (I didn't)...

Check your TV's manufacture website.  If your TV is updatable their may be firmware updates that could resolve some of the handshaking issues.

Contributor

Houston locally provides a Scientific Atlanta 4250HD Box that has an HDMI connector on the back. My problem was the remote control that was given me when I went the first time was the wrong one for that box.. Very annoying..

I had to drive back again and when I got there, there must have been 40 people in line with only two customer asscociates working. Customers were not in a good mood. I went home and came back the next day to get a different remote that would accept the proper codes.