Contributor

HDTV channels pixelate and stutter. Unwatchable

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: HDTV channels pixelate and stutter. Unwatchable

Your post was blank.

When posting, please describe your problem or question in the text box (not the subject line). The more specific information you provide, the more helpfully the Forum Admins and helpers can respond.

You didn't provide enough information here for us to help you. Please elaborate in a reply.

Visitor
dmaltese

Rather than start a whole new topic, figure I'll add some specifics because I'm having a similar problem.  For the last several weeks(since perhaps early/mid-may 2010) Bravo HD has been unwatchable.  Picture is  always pixelated and and at its worst it stutters and the sound cuts out.  The regular def channel has no such problems.  For some reason, of the channels we watch regularly it is only Bravo that has this problem(there may be others that I don't watch or get with similar issues).  I am in the Jacksonville, FL market, and bravo HD is channel 430.  Wondering if Comcast has any idea this is going on or if there is some fix or explanation?  Thanks for any info you might provide.  

Dave

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

This could be caused by a weak signal, which can affect only certain channels. Check the connections to the cable box, especially the incoming coax, and eliminate any unnecessary splitters.

To check signal strength with a Motorola box, tune to the offending channel, turn off the box with the remote, then within two seconds hit "OK/Select." This will bring up the diagnostics screen. Select "Inband Status" (probably page d04) and look for "SNR" for the tuner(s). This value should be in the mid to upper 30s. You may be able to improve the signal strength by adding a signal amplifier to the incoming cable line.

Visitor
dmaltese

for the offending channel I have an SNR of 31.2(Fair) on tuner 1 and 26.8(poor) on tuner 2.  Connection is via ~3' of coax direct from the wall to the back of the box and both connections are tight.  Just turned the box back on and switched to ESPN which I've been watching all day with great picture and it is reading the same.  Any suggestions?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

That's a pretty weak signal.  No suggestions other than in the original post.

New Visitor
dtaffe

I've had the same issue intermittently for a couple of weeks. I talked to customer service at one point while it was pixelating, but they couldn't diagnose it remotely. We scheduled a tech appointment, but the next day it had COMPLETELY resolved, so I cancelled the service call.  Now it's back pixelating. I haven't changed any connections or added new tvs in the house. The "ok/save button trick" didn't get me to the expected screen (it just stayed dark).  Do I need to bring the tech out? What if it's not pixelating when he's here? Help!?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Yes, get the tech out, and make notes of which channels are having issues.  If it's marginal when he gets there, he hopefully will find something causing it with his test equipment which will scan the complete band of frequencies for noise, signal levels and ingress/egress.  He should check the condition of your drop cable, splitters and fittings, and replace anything questionable.

Any outside repairs up to the ground block will be covered at no cost.  Inside wiring issues is covered if you have the wire maintenance option.

New Visitor
dtaffe

And in a twist to this story, channels 17 and 22 are perfectly clear. 17 is local access and 22 are government access.  Why would these 2 channels be perfect, and every other channel (including ABC/NBC/CBS local affiliates) be pixelating???  Customer service is "unaware of any other local problems," but this clearly is not a problem with my hardware or inside connections.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Proabaly a bad / wet / corrorded fitting, or wet / chewed up drop cable, or even water in the ground block.

It is common to see midband channels fine and others bad, or vise-versa.

I'm sure the issue is the last 100 feet between the pole / ped and your home, it usually is.  Outside issues like this are common to see the PQ come and go as the temperature and humidity levels change during the day / night.

New Visitor
nickybaseball

[ Edited ]

I am having similar issues, but NOT with HD channels (don't have an HD TV). We have several boxes in our house, but it is only happening on ONE of them. And it is always the same channels that are pixelated, all the time. Strangely, HBO is all messed up, but HBO West (for instance) works perfectly fine. Go figure. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the coax cable without success. Is it possible the BOX is faulty, or does this have to be a signal issue? And if it IS a signal issue, would it not be happening on ALL the boxes in our house? I'm trying to make a service call my last resort.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you probably have splitters in your config so not every line is getting the same strength.  What you can do is take the box to another outlet and see if the problem follows the box.

New Visitor
nickybaseball

Excellent thought. And if it is NOT the box, but just that individual line (due to the splitter), what the heck is the solution? And this just started happening the other day, by the way. All was well until then.

New Visitor
mingus_800

Re: HDTV channels pixels and stutter. Unwatchable

My HBO channels pixelate and are unwatchable, only on one of our TVs.

It's VERY aggravating!!!!!