Contributor
D_JMiller

HDTV reception

If HDTV is the broadcast standard for the US why do I have to pay Comcast $10 per month extra to receive the HD signal? A standard def cable convert box comes with my digital package, giving me a downgraded signal (which is being phased out), sent to my HDTV set. The HDTV signal is scrambled by Comcast so they can charge me extra to get what I should be getting anyway.

So, if the FCC requires broadcasters to transmit in HDTV why do I have to pay extra to Comcast to get it?

Is there and answer to this other than "because they can"?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: HDTV reception

20 million cable subscribers times $10/mo ....  $200 million/mo which easily covers yearly Executive bonuses.

Recognized Contributor

The broadcast standard is digital not HDTV. The local stations charge Comcast more for the HDTV signal. You can in most places get the local channel for free using an antenna The cable channels also charge extra for the HDTV signal. This is why there is a charge for HDTV. Also because they can.
Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

dwitham wrote:
The broadcast standard is digital not HDTV. The local stations charge Comcast more for the HDTV signal. You can in most places get the local channel for free using an antenna The cable channels also charge extra for the HDTV signal. This is why there is a charge for HDTV. Also because they can.

Actually you should not have to pay the $10.00 HD service fee for the local HD stations, You should be able to pick them up with the new uDAT (AKA HD DTA) converter boxes.  Indeed for stations that are not "local", you do have to pay the $10.00 fee per month to get the HD versions of those stations..

Recognized Contributor

You're right I forgot about the new HD DTA's. But aren't they only free for a year or two?
Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

What will the digital adapters cost? 
Limited Basic customers who currently do not have equipment on their account are eligible for up to two (2) DTAs, at no charge for two (2) years (five years if you also receive Medicaid) if they request DTAs during the equipment offer period at or around the time of encryption. 

Customers who subscribe to a higher level of service and receive Limited Basic service on a secondary TV without Comcast supplied equipment are eligible for one device at no charge for one year.

DTAs available under this offer must be ordered during the equipment offer period; beginning 30 days before the date of encryption and for 120 days after encryption. A notice will be sent to all customers informing them of their eligibility and the start of the offer period for their system. 

Otherwise, currently up to three (3) DTAs are available to Limited Basic customers at no charge (fewer if there is other digital equipment on the account). Afterwards the current price for DTAs for Limited Basic customers is $.50 per device per month. All other customers currently pay a $1.99 per month additional outlet service charge for each outlet registered to a DTA.

Contributor
D_JMiller

HDTV is broadcast digitally. HDTV is the standard format for American TV at a 16x9 aspect ratio, in 720 or 1080 resolution.

From http://www.wral.com/wral-tv/digital_tv/page/1017306/

Are HDTV Signals Broadcast on Special Frequencies?

No. HDTV broadcasts use the same channels as regular analog television. You should be able to receive DTV with any standard over-the-air antenna. The exact style of antenna that you will need for optimal reception may vary with your geographic location and distance to the transmission source.

So, I guess the answer is, ultimately, "because they can".

Bronze Problem Solver

The $10/mo  HD technology fee, (since people are already paying for HD channels, and paying to rent an HD Stb, or HD dvr with its additional HDDvr service fee),

could kinda equate to buying or leasing a car, & having to pay a monthly fee to be able to see out of all it's windows.  W/o paying the fee, you would only have an 8 inch  square transparent area in the front window to see  through.