Contributor
Accepted Solution

Hooking up multiple TVs in my apartment

Hi,

I'm sure this question gets asked frequently, but I did a quick search for it and didn't find what I was looking for.

I just moved into my new apartment this past weekend and had Comcast install cable and Internet. They brought one box and hooked it up to the TV in our living room. However, there are two more TVs in the apartment that I want hooked up to cable as well. What do I need to do to get cable to each of those TVs? I'm fairly confident that both TVs are analog and not digital.

Any help on this will be appreciated.

Thanks

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Hooking up multiple TVs in my apartment

You can get basic (mostly local) channels simply by connecting the incoming cable coax to an analog TV and using the tuner in the TV.

Comcast is also in the process of converting expanded basic analog cable signals to digital in many areas, which means you will need a free DTA (digital transport adapter) to continue to use an analog TV to receive expanded basic channels (non-local channels) in those areas. If you are a Comcast expanded basic customer whose area has been or is in the process of being transitioned, then you should already be aware of the need for a DTA.  Comcast will provide two DTAs free of charge.
Contributor

I would like to be able to get the full line of channels that the Main TV gets on these other TVs as well. They are bedroom TVs for both myself and my roommate. Would the free DTA allow me to get the full line of channels on those TVs? I like watching all the non local channels such as Discovery, History, FX, TNT, etc.

Also, a quick ebay search shows that I could probably get used cable boxes at a decent price. Would buying a cable box for each TV provide the results I'm looking for? I'm thinking that probably is what I'm going to need to do, but if the DTA thing allows me to get the full service on the other TVs then I would definately go down that path.

Thanks for the response

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

You won't get anything but basic and expanded basic channels with the DTA (the ones available in analog prior to the analog/digital transition.  You'll need the same type box you have for the current connection in order to get the same channels.  What box and what package do you have?

Whatever you do, do not buy a used cable box on eBay.  Comcast will not activate it, and it may even be stolen, since Comcast doesn't sell the boxes other than in Canada.

Contributor

The box that they setup for me looks like the one in this link: http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/1/1/About/PressRoom/Images/LogoAndMediaLibrary/Photography/Digit...

I'm not actually at my apartment today so I can't look up the exact info on it.

As far as the package, I'm not sure what the name of the package is but I get channels within all of these:

-Limited Basic

-Expanded Basic

-Limited *With Converter

-Digital Economy Video (I think)

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

I'm not sure what that box is.  Or the package -- but you'll only get Basic and Expanded Basic with the DTA.
Contributor

Well, thanks for your help. I guess I'll just have to call Comcast and talk to them about it. I'll just have to talk to my roommate and figure out what we want to do. I'm sure there will be an additional cost to rent additional cable boxes. Although, it seems like we will get pretty much all the same channels with the DTA as with our cable box, just not the OnDemand stuff.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

It's your decision, and the regular boxes definitely will set you back $$$.
Contributor

I'm sure that the price is different everywhere, but does anyone have an estimate of what an additional cable box would add to my monthly bill?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

I think it's about $6 for an additional digital outlet, including the basic cable box with all the channels in your package and On Demand.  HD is extra, as is a DVR.
New Visitor

At lease someone is telling you about the differences in boxes and channel availability. I ordered service for three TVs and additionel boxes were installed. I expected to have the same channels on all and I dont. I feel the Comcast rep and installer somehow misrepresented what I was getting. I have a premium service that includes HBO and the difference is more than just the on demand stuff ... be sure to ask exactly what you will and won't be able to get ...