Regular Contributor
vspin

How do I get the newest HD DVR cable box?

We have 4 HD DVR cable boxes in our home. Two of the boxes have a clean, black face on them. We were told by a Comcast guy at our home that it was the newest box (which is how we got two). It's a very responsive box when forwarding, stopping, and playing a recorded program. However, with EVERY Comcast HD DVR box I've ever used with a silver face, they are NOT responsive! You can be forwarding and then press play, and the box will not respond until a while later. I use brand new batteries, and have experienced this for years with this crappy silver HD DVR box.

I went to my local Comcast and asked to get the latest HD DVR box (with the black face) and they handed me over the same crappy silver boxes and told me that they were the latest. So, my question now is, how do I get the cable boxes with the clean, black face?

Off topic, I noticed a couple years ago there was a software update to the cable boxes, and since then, when you forward a recorded program and then press play, it jumps back a few seconds for you, OR if you rewind and press play, it jumps ahead a few seconds for you. Is there a setting to disable this annoying new feature?

Regular Contributor
scottryanmead

Re: How do I get the newest HD DVR cable box?

[ Edited ]

simply ask for it.... They carry a very limited stock of those new boxes.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you cannot request a box its up to whatever stock there is.   to fix the unresposiveness in your older dvr's just unplug them and then plug them back in.

No there is no setting to disable to go back and go forward a few seconds.

Regular Contributor
vspin

If unplugging and replugging worked, I'd have to do it two or more times a day. Everytime you unplug, Comcast has to resend you all the tv programming, and that can take a couple days to complete.

Nothing will make these boxes perform like the black face boxes. I've used them for years and experience the unresponsiveness every single day as I record a lot. One may not notice that these boxes are unresponsive until you use the two fastest forward speeds to zip through commercials, and before you know it, you've forwarded to the end of the program, since the play button did not respond.

New Visitor
New Visitor
HAF

Those black face Motorola boxes are not new. I have mine since end of 2010. Comcast should stop being cheap and start replacing the old silver ones.

New Visitor

I just had to return a black face motorola box that I've had since 2009 and they gave me one of the silver. ones that looks beat up.  Said that's all they have. 

New Visitor

So, I called comcast to find out if they can ship the newest dvr to my house, since they do not have any at the distibution center closest to my home, which they can for $9.99. So their equipment fails and I have to pay to get a new one or drive miles to another center and take my chances. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You are not charged for a defective box, most of the time you either would swap it at the local office, or a tech would bring it out.

If your swapping boxes just for the sake of getting a newer box or wanted upgrade to a different box, then you would be charged shipping if you can't pick it up at the local office.

New Visitor
AirSix

Having upgraded service and been told by the CSR that it came with a spiffy new DVR I could program remotely, I just went to my local service center.  "We don't have the Motorolas here in Virginia," they said.  "You have to live in Maryland or D.C. to get one."  That doesn't make a lot of sense, but it does speak to the limited stock.

Contributor
Whuffnagle

Some areas dont have a network that is capable to run the motorolla boxes yet which is why they are unavailable in some ares